Am I the only one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sps3172

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
**Warning....Stupid New Guy Alert**

Hi All,

I've lurked here for a couple years but recently decided to join. I've enjoyed a life long love affair with small engines and even worked in the power equipment industry for few years, back in the early 2000's. I've owned, used and worked on most forms of power equipment (blower, trimmer, mower, etc.) However, the one thing I've never had a practical reason to own, was a chain saw.....and frankly, that drove me crazy. I've always wanted a reason to buy and use a saw, but nothing ever materialized.

So....I finally gave up and bought one (Stihl MS261). Not because I had specific work to do......but just because I wanted one. How silly am I? :) Now I'm dying for a chance to ring the thing out. Does anybody near St. Louis need help turning something to saw dust? :)

Are there any other folks on the forums that just play with saws because they like them or do you all base this hobby on a practical need? I realize that many of you own more saws that you really 'need' (the infamous CAD)....but it seems you at least had work for that fist saw before you bought it, right?

Thanks!

- Steve

well steve,
since you have a 261, now you have to get a 70 cc saw, then a 90 cc saw, maybe a 120 cc saw, and your life will be complete !!!
welcome aboard..

I use to have a need for my saws, but now it is mainly something I enjoy doing. I usually find occassion to use my saws after storms to help clean up wind damaged trees. My wife accuses me of asking people if I can cut their trees. I believe you will enjoy your new saw. Before you know it you will probably have several more.

well steve,
since you have a 261, now you have to get a 70 cc saw, then a 90 cc saw, maybe a 120 cc saw, and your life will be complete !!!
welcome aboard..

I'd like to find a semi-regular way to make some sawdust before I pull the trigger on the 4 saw plan. But...don't for a second think I've haven't mapped that whole plan out already. :laugh:

Hi Steve,
I have also have owned or own about every thing that runs on gas. Like you I an new to the site, enjoy running a saws for fun. It's actually therapeutic for me. I personally feel the 260 was a solid saw but have no experience with the 261. Have fun and be safe. See you around the site
Bryan

I use to have a need for my saws, but now it is mainly something I enjoy doing. I usually find occassion to use my saws after storms to help clean up wind damaged trees. My wife accuses me of asking people if I can cut their trees. I believe you will enjoy your new saw. Before you know it you will probably have several more.

Have you found a way to officially 'volunteer' for that duty in your community or do folks just know that you're the guy to call when trees are down?

Sometimes I ask people when I see damage or sometimes people who I have done work for will mention my name to others who need some help. The best jobs are the ones where you cut the tree up for someone, and get to leave it for someone else to use. That way you get to enjoy using your saws and let someone else do the rest of the work. There are some members on the forum from your area. Maybe you can meet up with them to run some saws.

Welcome to the site. There are quite a few out your way who would probably love get you some saw time, that's what it's all about here. Good choice on your first saw. You've been paying attention.

How silly am I?

Welll.....no sillier than another blatantly exposed newbee/wannabee-arborist.

I sought out all the advice I was able to find on the MS191T and....managed to ignore almost every bit of it. I bought one last week: much cheaper than the 192 and 200 and their competitors. It was in really, REALLY good shape and the right price. So, I now have a top-handle saw for when I'm in the bucket of the 1989 Altec 200 F350 bucket truck I just bought in August. Not only that.....but I sold a Stihl 550 brush saw and put the money toward a Kombi system.... I must be going into business or something. Am I stupid or what?..:bang:

On the other hand, it's important to be optimistic after you spend money on stuff simply because of an adventurous spirit. :msp_confused:

Congratulations on your new Stihl.

If you can cut straight, I'll make a bunch of orange marks on about 60-100 logs and you can bring a lunch and go to cutting them all day long with your 261, LOL. Its about 20 minutes from the arch, over by Scott Airforce Base. I should be there most if not all of this week.

Here is a few pages to give you an idea.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/147985.htm

Later,

Sam

If you can cut straight, I'll make a bunch of orange marks on about 60-100 logs and you can bring a lunch and go to cutting them all day long with your 261, LOL. Its about 20 minutes from the arch, over by Scott Airforce Base. I should be there most if not all of this week.

Here is a few pages to give you an idea.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/147985.htm

Later,

Sam

Hi Sam,

I tried to send you a PM but your inbox was full.....

Perhaps you could give me a ring. We can sort out when the best time for me to stop by the site, and how I get there. It sounds like you're relatively close to where I live. I'm in extreme southern St Louis County....right at the JB Bridge off HWY 255. From the sounds of it, you're working somewhere near Hwy 64 and Hwy 4?

Thanks again!

- Steve

(three,one,four) five,four,one - 0530

....that's 'anti-spambot' code for my phone number. :)

Last edited:
Hi Sam,

I tried to send you a PM but your inbox was full.....

Perhaps you could give me a ring. We can sort out when the best time for me to stop by the site, and how I get there. It sounds like you're relatively close to where I live. I'm in extreme southern St Louis County....right at the JB Bridge off HWY 255. From the sounds of it, you're working somewhere near Hwy 64 and Hwy 4?

Thanks again!

- Steve

(three,one,four) five,four,one - 0530

I was raised in South County on 5237 Milburn Rd. A school mate lived on the corner of what was then Telagraph and Lindburg. Now a highway interchange. Yikes!

I've gone from a little red Homie XL to over twenty of the more classic magnesium saws sold in the '70s. since September last year.

I've tinkered I.C. engines since I was old enough to pass wrenchs to my father. Chainsaws combine many of the problem solving challanges of the job I retired from. Therefore, what is broke and how can I fix it.

Beats daytime TV for a retired geezer.

Welcome to A.S.

Back