Ams Oil Goo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Klick, you say the skirt showed wear. Is it possible this saw was run on straight gas and when the operator realized it, he dumped some atf down the spark plug hole in attempt to mitigate the damage? My guess anyway. John

I have ran snowmobiles at 10,000 feet at 32:1 with no issues like this. Altitude was not a factor.
Luckys idea sounds promising, but then why would the thick oil be in the gas tank as well?

Maybe he ran straight gas in it, then dumped a good portion of atf into the gas tank to try and save it. which would directly be ignoring the directions NEVER to mix gas in the gas tank.

I do not remember the exact data but for every 1000 ft above elevation you go up air thins out something around 5 or 10% per 1000 feet, which is why athletes have training camps at higher elevation building up their endurance and breathing. When you ski at very high elevation your breeding is shallower and you tire more quickly.

I would think that running a saw at 8000 feet would affect the carburetor some on high revving engines such as on saws.

Maybe this guy made a mistake and tried to cover it but I do not really think so. This is his 2nd saw that he has bought new and had me build. He also has a Madsen's power tuned 385 and 372. It is possible but I doubt it as I have sent a lot of time on the phone with him talking shop. Any how I have told him to quit using the oil and go back to using Stihl. By the way I am having a bit of a time finding the mobile MX2T out here. I would like to try it to see if I want to run it on a regular basis. What is a large chain that sells it?

Yes, Lobo. Elevation definately makes a difference. I remember having to rejet my motocross bikes for max performance when racing at a higher elev. It has been 20 yrs so don't remember which way I went. Had to lean it out, I think.

Man oh Man oh Man!!!!!!! I can not believe how fast assumptions are made with only limited knowledge. What an eye opener. So I will come out of the closet since I have been lurking for some time on this site. I am the owner of the said 66. So for starters No! I did not have "a moment" and mix too much oil, Tranny Fluid (what the freak), bar oil or anything of the likes. Nor am I an ametuer in the skills of a sawyer. The saw is fairly new it has between 8-10 tanks I lost track. The first tank of gas was from the dealer when I bought it. I watched him fill it up and start it and adjust the carb before I left. He said it was 40/1 stihl brand. The second tank was my own shihl mix 40/1 That would probably explain the piston wear. The Third on through was the mystery oil Ams-oil Dominator at 32/1, 4oz to a gallon of 92 octane. It wasn't until I pulled the muffler off that I noticed a significant amount of oil around the exhaust port and muffler. I immedietly started doing some checking around because that was a first for me. Amsoil Only recommend that specific oil at 50/1 in anything. It works fine at that ratio but I did not put enough time on my 66 to clear all that oil up. Trial and error. So much for client patient confidentiality. Now my 66 has a complex Thanks Dean.
As for the altitude Man it Sucks! sometimes. Yes the limiters were removed with the fancy tool my dealer gave me (don't tell anyone). He's awesome, And was running pretty good for this altitude But Like alot of sick folks on this site I have to have more powerrr. I don't like a guttless any thing.
So I hope this clears up any Misconceptions. Don't be so quick to judge and keep up the good work AB.

Hi f79ord,

The members here were not throwing stones but with the limited info. they had were more trying to understand and learn. We all know that a lot of strange things happen in todays world. I like most have done some of those myself.

Is it possible that f79ord's saw sits for a while between uses and fuel is leaking into the cases? If the gas has time to evaporate off you might end up with the goo you see.
Just a thought, John......

Back