Amsoil HP Marine in chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect you're gonna get a lot of ash/carbon if you use TCW-3 in an air-cooled engine.
I don't think TCW-3 is made for the temperatures that air-cooled motors can get up to.

I suspect you're gonna get a lot of ash/carbon if you use TCW-3 in an air-cooled engine.
I don't think TCW-3 is made for the temperatures that air-cooled motors can get up to.
I don't know much about any of this, so am asking, how would you get carbon from running this oil
in a non boat engine, and not have this carbon in the boat engine.

According tho Amsoil it runs super clean and up to 250hp
Outstanding Wear Protection
The elevated heat and friction of modern two-stroke marine motors can exceed the film strength of inferior oils, increasing the likelihood of scuffing and wear. HP Marine's exclusive synthetic formulation provides increased lubricity for reduced wear during normal and lean-mix operation (see field study results). In 534 hours of field testing, HP Marine completely prevented piston skirt and cylinder bore scuffing, demonstrating its superior lubricity and ability to reduce friction between moving parts. It maintains a strong lubricating film even in lean-mix, severe-service conditions, helping marine engines achieve maximum life.

Excellent Deposit Control
HP Marine is formulated with MAXDOSE™, a system of advanced additives for "super-clean" operation. It helps prevent deposits that lead to poor performance. In field testing, HP Marine inhibited ring deposits that can cause ring sticking and ring jacking (carbon buildup behind the ring, forcing it outward), a phenomenon that occurs in modern DFI outboard motors. It also virtually eliminated exhaust port deposits for reliable, efficient operation.

Proven in Marine E-TEC Field Study
HP Marine was installed in a 250-hp Evinrude E-TEC engine powering a heavy-duty marine rescue vessel. Following a 28-hour break-in period at the normal oil setting, the engine was programmed to its factory-lean setting and operated for 506 hours prior to disassembly. An ASTM calibrated rater examined and awarded each component either a merit rating on a scale of 0 to 10 (with 10 representing no distress) or a percentage rating (with 0 percent representing no distress). Results prove HP Marine provided exceptional wear protection and deposit control. For complete study results, visit amsoil.com/proof.

Carbon and ash are secondary issues. The real problem is that the engine temperature in an air cooled chainsaw is significantly higher than a boat or PWC with lake water cooling. We are trying to save you some grief. There‘s a reason that TC-W3 oil states: “For water-cooled marine engines“. It’s certification is from the NMMA - National Marine Manufacturers Association.

TCW3 is technically an "ashless" oil by design, and has a different additive package vs. other 2 strokes. A water cooled outboard has much lower engine temps than an air cooled chainsaw engine, they run at a lower RPM, and are cross scavenged vs. loop scavenged. Long story short, use TCW3 in outboards and JASO FD in everything else. Will it blow up? No, but the right oil is cheap and available, so why chance it. Also, I take everything Amsoil says in their advertisements with a grain of salt.

I don't know much about any of this, so am asking, how would you get carbon from running this oil
in a non boat engine, and not have this carbon in the boat engine.
Higher temperatures in a non-water-cooled engine.
Theoretically a water-cooled aluminum engine isn't ever going to get much hotter than 212°F -- the boiling point of water. I suspect localized temps in a chainsaw would be a smidge higher, causing the oil to start to scorch/carbon up. Bad juju if the rings get jammed up with carbon...
As for the Amsoil ad copy you quoted...well, it's ad copy.

Latest posts

Back