An 026 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been given a complete 026 and a parts power head and thought I would try to make 1 from the two. I went to the shop today to look at the piston condition of both saws. I thought that one had a good piston but both are toast. I am not going to be doing anything till I get some parts but thought I would ask some advice on that. I have a lot of pictures I can share as needed. This saw has been given to me by an almost total stranger from work, so I know nothing about it's history.
I have read enough times about the 026 to know they are good saws and thought I might try to resurrect this one. I will need Piston, Rings, Impulse line, Gas Line, a carb kit, and an air filter probably. The intake boot looks ok and the Cylinder I think?? is reusable. I am wondering if I should pay for OEM or after market stuff ? what do you think? is there a big price difference.

I have some other questions as well,

How do you separate the handle so you can access the innards inside? as you can see in the photo I was only able to pry up the front part closest to the carb, I just don't want to break it. The wire type throttle lock spring has popped out of position and I will need to get in there to put it back.

Next is this gas line too short? I don't see how it will stretch all the way over to the gas tank opening so I can put the filter on it? It tore a little while I was stretching it over enough to take the filter off so I could look at the lines condition,... so now "I will" need a new one.

Is this a casting seam in the intake port? it kind of lines up with a scratch inside the cylinder above one of the transfers. I have been in there and cleaned it up using Masterminds method of removing transfer and I think it will be ok? I can feel it if I concentrate on it but it is not too bad . There was also some transfer but that seems gone now.
IMG_1297.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1307.JPG IMG_1314.JPG IMG_1316.JPG

Fuel line is old, dry and needs replacing, cylinder looks like it'll clean up enough for personal use. There's a screw on the underside/rear of the tank/handle. Keep your parts under $150 or so and you'll end up with a $200 saw.

Couple more, A picture of the top of the piston from the complete saw. The "parts power head" has a sort of Flat top cylinder on it, where this more complete saw has this Fin Top cylinder on it ? Any preference on which cylinder to use? and do both use the same size piston?

Attachments

• IMG_1292.JPG
    IMG_1292.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1291.JPG
    IMG_1291.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
turn the saw over and under the handle you will see a small flat head
screw that holds the handle down inside the rear portion
the fuel line needs only to be long enough to submerge the fuel filter
into the bottom of the tank
no problem with the casting seam on the inlet to the combustion chamber
they;re formed that way

Ok thanks I will look for the screw next time I work on it. Good to hear that about the casting seam as well. The fuel line is the right one I am sure but will a new one stretch to the tank opening enough to put the filter on it or will I tear the new line too? I assume I am doing it correctly,... I don't see any other way to put the filter on other than stretching it over it hangs about 5 inches away from the tank opening. What should I expect to pay for new oem gas line impulse line air filter piston and rings would you guess? I have a dealership about 6 miles away, but they tend to be kind of high on prices.

You have the early 1121 358 7705 fuel hose. The replacement is a longer "S" shaped hose that requires enlarging the hole in the tank.

Rubbers
1121 358 7700 "S" Fuel Hose $7.54
1113 141 8600 Impulse Hose $5.51
1121 141 2200 Intake Manifold $15.46

Piston
1121 030 2001 $36.45

Crank Seals
9640 003 1600 $6.77
9640 003 1190 $10.72

Couple more, A picture of the top of the piston from the complete saw. The "parts power head" has a sort of Flat top cylinder on it, where this more complete saw has this Fin Top cylinder on it ? Any preference on which cylinder to use? and do both use the same size piston?

That sounds like one cylinder,the one with the flat top is from an 024S and the one with the fins being a 026 cylinder, a pict would tell a lot. Both cylinders will work fine, your 026 cylinder is the 44mm one. Hope your cylinder cleans up for you but if it does not let me know.

You have the early 1121 358 7705 fuel hose. The replacement is a longer "S" shaped hose that requires enlarging the hole in the tank.

Rubbers
1121 358 7700 "S" Fuel Hose $7.54
1113 141 8600 Impulse Hose $5.51
1121 141 2200 Intake Manifold $15.46

Piston
1121 030 2001 $36.45

Crank Seals
9640 003 1600 $6.77
9640 003 1190 $10.72
Thanks so much for the price breakdown. Now I at least have some idea what it should cost. I am guessing that these are OEM parts pricing? So the new gas line is bigger hua? so I will have to drill out the hole is it just a fraction larger or much larger?

That sounds like one cylinder, the one with the flat top is from an 024S and the one with the fins being a 026 cylinder, a pict would tell a lot. Both cylinders will work fine, your 026 cylinder is the 44mm one. Hope your cylinder cleans up for you but if it does not let me know.
The cylinder with the fins was on the saw that I am trying to fix the 026. The other cylinder was on a powerhead that the guy said "and here's a parts one too" I assumed it was also a 026 but he did not say that it was. So that one is an 024 ...ok good to know.

Thanks so much for the price breakdown. Now I at least have some idea what it should cost. I am guessing that these are OEM parts pricing? So the new gas line is bigger hua? so I will have to drill out the hole is it just a fraction larger or much larger?

Yes, oem prices. You can ream it out a bit at a time or drill it out to 23/64th

Yeah, not hard to do with the right gear, I like the new longer fuel line as long as its OEM. The AM stuff is really hit or miss on fuel lines. Run a good OEM pickup filter on it also, they flow better.

so the dealership says:

They want twice as much for the piston as Ozhoo found it for.
1) gas line --- $ 8.79 in stock
2) impulse line ---$ 6.59 need to order
3) intake manifold--- $ 17.59 need to order
4) piston with 2 rings and wrist pin--- $ 75.34 " does not include circlips or wrist pin bearing" need to order
5) crank seal number one --- $ 7.69 need to order
6) crank seal number 2 ---$ 12.09 need to order
I don't know if I want to spend this much on it. If there was a way to salvage the piston maybe... but with their cost...it just sound's like a lot of cash. What do you all think? This is just a project I have plenty of saws.

I will most likely end up not using an OEM piston at least but I may still use the OEM rubber parts. Not sure yet. I think there are some sponsors here that sell aftermarket parts as well but not sure who.

Latest posts

Back