And it begins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ValleyFirewood: Do you unload with a grapple?

There is another guy north of here does ten cord truckloads of 8'. I think he has a winch and sled mounted on the front of a flatbed that pushes the logs off the back. Leaves a long sprawled out pile from the video. Matt was unloaded in thirty minutes from pulling in, to sweeping the deck off and pulling out, maybe less. Nicely stacked.

It's more the weight. 20 cords on a truck would be around 150,000lbs.

He told me once but I don't recall the total weight. Impressive though when he pulls in. I figure green Oak at 5,800 a cord x 20 = 116,000 lbs. tare, plus truck, trailer, grapple, and a zillion, with a z, gallons of diesel. 150,000 sounds like it's in the ball park. I think you get two 20,000 axles, and 13,000 on the other four axles behind the cab, 20 for the steer axle if it is 13' from the next axle, then the dolly, maybe 26,000 and the rears at 20,000 ea. What's that? 20, (13 x 4), 40, 26, 40 = 178,000. I think 180 is max in Michigan but not for sure. Maybe someone with a CDL would chime in.
First thing he asked on the phone when he was driving down was, "How's that mud hole?" It was about 20' long. I got it dug out and filled, and topped with crushed concrete. When I cleared the wood lot I added a drive back out to the road to accommodate these trucks. Very wet winter/spring here. As I said in another post, I heard the big lake is up seven inches this spring. He said the frost laws usually hold them up. This year that wasn't an issue, but the woods are wet and getting in and out has sometimes been a problem.

Thanks for the offer of the hdpe. I'm going to pass on that.
However, you are very welcome to visit, and try the equipment.
I still owe you breakfast at the diner for the sealed bearings.

I would love to see if there would be an actual increase in production with two people in terms of 'man hours per cord'.
How much could two people do in say two hours? One cut and split, one run the fork lift to load the log decks and run the Posch. After an hour switch places and continue. It could be fun for both of us.

I had hoped to do this experiment with my youngest son. He has changed jobs, gotten married, and is a soon-to-be parent, expecting their first child in July. When I do see him it is usually in Grand Rapids, and not here at the house. He is very busy and happy, and I'm a proud parent. When he did work a four day week and had Fridays off, he often helped me with firewood. That was before the Posch equipment.

38* this morning, and rising. Full sun. Great working weather.
Photo of SS table. I get stuff wedged regularly where the push plate carriage shoves stuff along side the beam below the wedge. Some small stuff has also gotten between the table support iron and the table skin, bulging it up from time to time. I should really pull the table and weld it there.IMG_4696.jpgIMG_4686.jpgIMG_4684.jpgIMG_4688.jpg
That's what it looked like when I finished up. Only did one cord, but everything is covered and placed from the last two days, and bark/chips cleaned up.

Tomtom85: Sorry for the hyjack.

Where in the midwest are you?

Buying logs has been nice since I started selling firewood. It's my only option.
For twenty years we leased and had permission to cut blow downs and dead fall for personal use only. I miss that part of being in the woods with the dog, quad and trailer, or log arch. We bought this six acres back then (1985), but could not afford to build on it for almost ten years, raising three kids, work was often slow and little coming in. We put the house up a little over twenty years ago. Kids are 29, 30, and 31 already. Now I'm just putzin. No grass cutting for me... Kids are in the city. Gas fireplaces and all.

Lol your fine man, enjoying the photos. Am in Salem Indiana 30 mins from Louisville KY. I wanna cut some wood but all my area's are under water right now.

Back