...and that's why I went and bought the saw first.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james000222

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New in box, 460. I was about to order the ripping chain from Granberg, and thought "what specs exactly do I need?"

Thankfully I decided to buy the saw and look at the bar.

I'm not real sure how much difference .050 and .058 gauges are, but between the time the online manual for the 460 was printed and the time the saw was made, the I guess the 460 migrated from .050 to .058.

The snip below is from the online manual -- the manual IN the box agrees with the bar.

[photo=medium]4892[/photo][photo=medium]4893[/photo] [photo=medium]4894[/photo]

Ordering chain now.

So what would have happened if I had got the wrong chain...bad stuff?

J

The drive links end up sloppy in the the bar rail. So the cutters can turn a little side to side. That can make the saw cut crooked and cause the bar t wear uneven. Most likely cause it to be wavy until wear sets in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A brand new Husky 450 ended up my bench that "wouldn't work". The saw was shipped with a 18" .325 chain, a 20" 3/8 bar, and a rim style clutch drum with no rim sprocket.

The saw was supposed to come with a 20" .325 bar, 20" .325 chain, and a .325 spur sprocket.

Even though things like this just happen here and there it sent me over the edge when it came to Husky saw and I am only recently recovering from it.

I think that online manual is for the European saw market. .058 gauge chain is very popular across the pond. Here in the U.S., we like .050 gauge and .063 gauge chains. Most .063 gauge chains in the .325 and 3/8 pitches are for Stihl saws. Most everything else is .050. Some of the little bitty saws run .043 gauge chain in the 3/8 pitch low profile type chain. The 84 drive link chain in the .050 gauge should be real easy to find locally as it is one of the popular long-bar sizes.

New in box, 460........ the manual IN the box agrees with the bar.

J

The saw and bar in a box has a part number. Some models have quite a list of possible part numbers. I have noticed on ebay some new in the box Husqvarna saws the description is not for the part number on the box. I got Baileys to list the oiler drive part needed to convert to a rim drive for that saw. Some folks think wider drive links oil better. Maybe they do for big stuff, seems to me with tiny stuff the .043 is more oily than the .050. In theory the wider drive links would wear the sprocket a bit slower.

Latest posts

Back