Animal eating my fuel cans!! WTH!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadaudio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The first time it happened I figured it was just some weird accident that a small mammal of some sort chewed through the spout of a 2 gallon fuel can that I use to fill up my chain saw. It contained about a gallon of ethanol mixed 50:1 with Sthil 2-cycle oil. I tossed the can.
Yesterday I came home to a very strong odor of fuel and noticed that something had chewed through the bottom of a 5 gallon can creating a slow leak. About 3 gallons of fuel had soaked into the ground under my porch. It also chew the spout almost in half!
My theory is that ethanol (junk fuel anyway) has a sweet smell or taste due to the corn and this animal is attracted to it?
I can't be the only one this has happened to............
South-eastern Pa.

'Frank

Not sure what kind of local wildlife you have in your immediate area. But I do know that bears love mixed gas, and diesel. Had all sorts of problems with bears chewing the fuel cans in the boats when I used to guide in northern Manitoba and Ontario.

Never heard of that...Did have a pair of squirles chew a hole through the underside of my camper this week...Did a ton of dammage. They're taking a VERY long nap.......

I can't help with your critter problem, set a trap or a trail camera.
Keep the damaged jugs. I cut across the top and down each side of the jug's side, pull the flap out from the top and drop in choker chains, snatch blocks or any other heavy hardware. The 2 gallon size works about right.

I had a similar thing happen. A squirrel or a chipmunk has chewed through the side of my 2 gallon gas can when it was empty. Did not notice it till I was at the gas station filling it up. They have also chewed through the gas cap on my lawn mower. Stupid squirrel. ...and they have chewed a hole in my trash can lid large enough so they can climb in and rifle through the trash... Twice! They make quite a mess. Stupid squirrel!

Tree rats! I've had them chew through 2 fuel caps on my splitter. This yr they chewed through my fuel filter on my splitter. A few yrs ago they tore up my old truck. Main wiring harness and a few other things! I kill all tree rats when I see them! Bastages.

keeping it up off the ground or in a cabinet should help with the problem.

Tree rats! ... I kill all tree rats when I see them! Bastages.

My bet's on tree rats also; most likely the little reds. They'll chew-up anything not made of iron or concrete... even clean through a shingled roof. Usually the grays aren't much problem other than raiding bird feeders, but those reds are the most destructive pest that have adapted to live in close proximity to man.
Those little red squirrels don't survive long 'round here either... I declared war on them many, many years ago.

Something ate the spout on my only "spill proof" can. I'm not complaining, the can was the worst POS. Refitted a normal spout, drilled a vent hole and now the can is good and actually works as well as...........drum roll..................spilling less!

I've had something very similar happen to the plastic gas jug on my portable sawmill. I keep is outside and something has chewed through in a few places. Jug has holes on the top, cap has bite marks, and the fuel line was chewed through! These are not mice holes as the teeth marks are fairly large. Odd thing is that I have a lube system with a water jug right next to the gas and they haven't touched that? Someone said it was squirrels:
View attachment 260818View attachment 260819

Sounds like you need a barn cat.....makes the mouse/rat problem go away.

Before reading this thread I thought it was just me.

Couple years ago I pulled the walk behind mower out of the garage to find the fuel line and fuel cap had been chewed on by critters over the winter. Thought it was field mice, never considered squirrels.

I'm with Iowa.................kill those stinkin' tree rats !!!!!!! They have messed with me also ...way too much !!!!!!! They ate part of my wiring harness in my truck, ate the windshield washer hose, ate through my truck gas line, ate holes in the top of 2 new garbage cans, ate a hole in the top of a new car cover, chewed the wood on my picnic table and various other undesirable activities !!!!!!! I try to keep them thinned out around the house......I have been a little easy on them lately....time to get back to serious business !!!!! I'll break out the Ruger 10/22 tomorrow.......I am now inspired again !!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Latest posts

Back