another 026 / ms260 introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battlefordguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All

Well I done it... waded into Stihl territory, recently purchased both a used 026 & lightly used ms260.
Recived the 026, checked it over seemed fine, but needed a cleaning.
pics show before and after cleaning.

the cleaning process went well until i came to the air filter, (old stlye, pulled the cotter pin thinking it was how to split it), ended up losing the spring down the sink:frown: put the saw together, cleaned the plug and threw in some mix and started pulling.
It fired and ran, but was sputtering alot, pulled the air filter since it was missing a spring and likley not working properly, picked up accelaration and ran quite well. the I hit the chainbrake with only my clutch in (did not install drum and rim as I will be replacing, once I find the parts), well once the chain brake went on, good things did not happen, what was I thinking!!!:frown:

Chain brake spring snapped and took a small chunk off the saw, ( small chunk would help support the drum)- photo attached- how bad is this??? can I replace the spring and continue operating??? OR???

any insights into this 026? age etc.. it looks to be non ajustable oiler and no H screw on the carb. SN: 241 980 360
Engine: XA8XS.0494RA.

thansk for any insights!!

Oh, and this 026 was intended as a parts saw for the ms 260, however once deemed a potential runner, there was only one way to go...:smile2: Wanted a 50 cc saw to fill the gap between 42- 64 cc.

Back