Another Craigslist score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last week it was a cord and a half of ultra-potent smelling Camphor wood. This week, I went to two places with ads. First was a half cord of dry pine (I'm desparate for dry wood for this winter), and on the way back planned to hit a place with "tons of oak".
:jawdrop:
The "tons of oak" turned out to be gihugic..absotively posolutely massive logs!!! At least 4ft diameter at the large end, maybe 10 ft long and I didn't think to count how many i was in such shock at the sight and anger that my saw was in the shop after muffler mod went bad. I threw out some rotten pine and shoved the rest full forward to make room for some chunks of oak and drove on home with darn near a cord overall.
Drove by the next evening....score, it was nearly all bucked up!! The 1/4 rounds of the biggest stuff I couldn't even lift and I'm a somewhat strong buck of 34 years of age. Made a ramp of increasing height chunks so I could roll 'em up into the bed. Had to work so next evening went back.
A combined total of three totally full loads were made without seeming to dent the massive piles. I got an absolute minimum of 2 cords, so I'd guess that pile from one tree to have been about 7-8 cords worth!!! I wish I didn't have to work the day after discovering it, as much was taken by others.

Nice find! Boy, I'd love to be ripping that stuff up right now!!!

The "tons of oak" turned out to be gihugic..absotively posolutely massive logs!!! At least 4ft diameter at the large end, maybe 10 ft long and I didn't think to count how many i was in such shock at the sight and anger that my saw was in the shop after muffler mod went bad. I threw out some rotten pine and shoved the rest full forward to make room for some chunks of oak and drove on home with darn near a cord overall.
Drove by the next evening....score, it was nearly all bucked up!! I wish I didn't have to work the day after discovering it, as much was taken by others.

I reckon the guy that bucked it up wasn't pleased you hauled away some of his work. :angry:

I reckon the guy that bucked it up wasn't pleased you hauled away some of his work. :angry:

A tree service company took it down and put up an ad in Craigslist for free wood (I assume to reduce haul-off costs)....just because I didn't buck it, doesn't mean I shouldn't take it...after all, if it was a single person bucking for the sake of his own haul, he would have cut only enough for himself, not the entire thing in one sitting.. So I figure it was the tree company that had the big saw needed to buck it up all in one sitting to get it cleared as soon as possible, which i again assume, was part of their removal contract. Plus, it was on the only road through town in an extremely prominent location which everyone driving knew about...each time I was there, at least one other was also... at most, three were there at once responding to this ad.

bluequill56..... I'm new to looking in Craig's List. What headding do you guys find this stuff under?

I go into the free section, and look at least twice a day for a week, and there it is....at least once a week, usually more on the weekends, free wood. The key is to respond quickly, and get there quickly, which is hard if you have a 9-5 job like me.

I put in firewood first in the Search Craigslist under forsale
Then "fire wood" just incase they put in a space.
same for fireplace, woodstove and chainsaw. Works for me.

good point...
It's good practice to misspell on purpose if you're using the search function.
But if you look every day you'll see it all anyway.

Also check the farm+garden section as well as the free section.

Helpful hint: when you first log in to the free section, click onto the very first post no matter what it is, it will then be highlighted as "read" so as you scroll down later, you'll see where you left off and won't keep reading what you already went through.

nice score!

now, ya know that the forum rules state anyone who brags about scoring "gold" has to share the wood with the other forum members...right?:)

nice score!

now, ya know that the forum rules state anyone who brags about scoring "gold" has to share the wood with the other forum members...right?:)

If you come over and help split (read that: I'll work the lever and you man-handle the chunks) then we can share.

I could hardly sleep last night, I'm in a great deal of pain in a wierd place, kinda centered in the shoulder blade area, but not the back, not the chest, somewhere in between and not a sore muscle either. If I inhale more than half a breath it puts pressure on something very painfully, also if body is in a certain position.

Gonna relax today, especially since it's the first rain after a long drought (1/2inch so far) and the dry wood is already covered.....I'm gonna grab a lawn chair and go out and enjoy it!!!

:) you have dislocated a rib from lifting :)

To correct it you must lift hold each one of the chunks over you head.

No not really that wont fix it, but it does sound very simmilar to a disloacetd rib from your sternum.

Latest posts

Back