Another eBay shafting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjanket

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had just preached on this website about buying used chainsaws, the attempt to get good info and corroborate as good as you can, to make sure you are dealing with a real person and real article.

I "bought" a Jonsy 670 on the Bay last week. No bids, just pay now and you own it. Well, the "seller" was a crook and I got the royal shaft. I traced things back through Paypal, pitiful eBay, and whatever sources I could factor in and found out the creep's name and town of residence.

Now, super sleuths, what are your suggestions for me regarding acting on this information? Paypal and eBay will take a long time and likely return nothing. Do I contact authorities like the police?
I'd really like to poll what you folks would suggest. Please feel free to give me your thoughts.
Thanks, all

Mike

CALL paypal and see what they advise you to do. I was done lke this with a money order, it was going to take almost as much money to get my money back. I said F-it and told the guy I wish I lived closer to him:buttkick:

I had just preached on this website about buying used chainsaws, the attempt to get good info and corroborate as good as you can, to make sure you are dealing with a real person and real article.

I "bought" a Jonsy 670 on the Bay last week. No bids, just pay now and you own it. Well, the "seller" was a crook and I got the royal shaft. I traced things back through Paypal, pitiful eBay, and whatever sources I could factor in and found out the creep's name and town of residence.

Now, super sleuths, what are your suggestions for me regarding acting on this information? Paypal and eBay will take a long time and likely return nothing. Do I contact authorities like the police?
I'd really like to poll what you folks would suggest. Please feel free to give me your thoughts.
Thanks, all

Mike

A local furniture dealer here sells occasionally on ebay. If he gets a bad check, the buyer retracts his pay pal payment, cc was bad , whatever, he contacts the police. If you paid and never got the saw, and given it enough time to arrive,(if you bought it last week, I would give it a little longer, but call the guy), and if the guy won't return your calls, then by all means, contact the police. Its petty larceny at the least. If you got a saw and its not as described, then I doubt the police can be any help. I would say you need a lawyer in that case, and that'll cost way more than what you're out now.

eBay shafting continued

The 670 picture and description were real nice. The creep is from pine tree country in Maine. I tried to email the guy today many times but got the Mailer-Daemon thingie. Like, the guy closed out his temporary email address. I talked with Paypal, they gave me his phone number. That number was from somebody else, not him. One of the emails regarding mailing of the saw was from a lady who dated this creep in high school about 12 years ago. He signed his letter with her name, not his. When I called the number Paypal gave me, it was at the home of the lady who admitted dating him in high school. Like, is this thing getting cohesive or what? The creep lives about 5 miles away from the lady's place.
The guy who answered the phone was cordial, age 32, and delivered furniture in my area of northeast Connecticut. I don't think he was the cat who finked out on me.
The lady in the background was 30 years old and when I did the reverse look up, the creep was 30 years old, voila!! These two folks, the creep and the lady, know each other but I'd sorta wager the lady is not part of this intrigue.

Mike

Where does the guy live?

:lifter:
attachment.php

He has good sales and buys too. i think if you just give the guy time it will all work out. good Luck.

eBay shafting

No, the Jonsy 670 was NOT the 670 Champ just listed and I think, sold. This 670 was listed around the 12th of March, I think I bought it the 14th.

The person of interest here lives in New Sharon, Maine. I can pay about 10 bucks and get far more information about this guy. I'm just trying to determine the best way to confront this skank. Right now, I'm just trying to ferret out the best ideas I can from you folks. thanks again

Mike

Buyer bahmi9( 329) 7 years CT, United States

coincidence ? U Location: Willington, Ct

Let me guess. You paid, and didn't get the item. Paypal recognizes this and would love to give you your money back, only there isn't any money in his paypal account. Been there.

The only solution is to turn it over to your credit card company. If you paid with paypal funds, you're screwed. If you paid with your bank account, you're probably screwed. If you paid with a credit card, just call them and they'll reverse the charges on paypal faster than you can say "paypal buyer protection WHAAAT?"

Always pay paypal with a credit card. It gets you another level of protection. There is lots of competition in the credit card industry. They want your business.

eBay shafting

I also think the guy is enough of a pro to falsify all his eBay information, including feedback. I believe he has totally stolen others' identities. He's jettisoned his email address and answers none of my emails. No, this is no accident. This creepo has tasted some blood and has slinked back into the darkness to digest his blood. This happened to me over a year ago. I bought an article for 270 bucks, never got it, and the freaks on the selling end terminated their email address. That was the end of that deal.

I had a guy stiff me on an item. Only I was the seller and he was the buyer. He said he didn't get the item. So I refunded him the money. Then I set a search for the same item, and about 6 months later the guy puts it up for sale under the same userid. After a few threats of calling the FBI and international law enforcement he sent the item back to me. Then I promptly sold the item in the US.

PayPal

Twice I have had to contact PayPal for items that I purchased that were never sent to me. One transaction was approx. $400 and the other $200. Both times I received a refund from paypal. On another occasion I had $150 transaction that I finally got the items after disputing the transaction through paypal, about a month late.

Best of Luck!

Please keep us informed. We all could learn. Did I miss the info on what his name was and the item #?

Seller may deserve an outing.

Looks like I jumped the gun in retrospect. My bad. Good work to the detectives.

Last edited:
Well,there ya go,Paypal .If you use a US postal money order and get defrauded,it's called mail fraud,a felony.If they insist on Pay pal,find another seller,there are many.

I've had to remind a few people of this fact of mail fraud .They always seem to see it my way after this startteling revelation.

I sold some albums on eBay to a guy in Chicago - he paid me with a stolen credit card ($79.00) and pay-pal was no help because I did'nt have delivery confirmation on the package. He also ripped off a few other people, one was a lady from Missouri, she called me and we discussed it. Long story short she found his phone number and called him on behalf of both of us, telling him if he did'nt pay us we were going to contact the Illinois attorney general and get him for mail fraud - it worked and we had our money in a few days. Matt

Back