Another firewood truck...need parts. Pic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Farmerbuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought this Saturday. It's a 1974 chev 4x4 3/4 ton. Very well cared for. The only thing wrong is that it doesnt have power steering. (yet) The salvage yard here is trying to find a steering box that will fit. They have the pump. They said a '69-'76 will fit. Anyone have one?
woodhauler.jpg

Last edited:
Nice truck for 600 bucks, I paid 700 for this old truck and love it. The truck has a 292 in it, I think old 6 cylinders are the Nice's running motors ever made. Wish i could help with the ps, maybe search the net? ( don't laugh but call advance auto ) sometime they really surprise me.

attachment.php

That saginaw steering box should be common as DIRT.

many vehicles from that era used them.

GM vehicles, Jeeps, and others.

they are all basically the same, the pitman arm is specific, and the turning ratio is sometimes different, but they should all interchange and function.

power steering

the salvage yard is a little off the power steering should be able to be found between years 1973 and 1987 they are all the same. 1967-1972 are a different style.
goodluck with your search hope this helps
Kevin

the salvage yard is a little off the power steering should be able to be found between years 1973 and 1987 they are all the same. 1967-1972 are a different style.
goodluck with your search hope this helps
Kevin
I stopped by another yard today on the way to get a trailer. He said the same thing........69-76 will work. Anyway, i got everything off a 76 but i didnt think about the pitman arm. Woops! 80 miles away.

That saginaw steering box should be common as DIRT.

many vehicles from that era used them.

GM vehicles, Jeeps, and others.

they are all basically the same, the pitman arm is specific, and the turning ratio is sometimes different, but they should all interchange and function.
Pitman arm, are you talking about the little arm that fits on the bottom of the steering box? If so, i just called the yard man and he said its on there. Thanks

If you still need a box, I think I have one that hasn't seen daylight in 14 years. I seem to recall it's off a 73 3/4t 4x4.

Nice-

I run an 85 1ton SRW with 6.2diesel for wood and other stuff:clap: :clap:

Nice truck and nice body...

Stew

Nice-

I run an 85 1ton SRW with 6.2diesel for wood and other stuff:clap: :clap:

Nice truck and nice body...

Stew
I'm getting the power steering installed this weekend. I was going to do it but.....i'm busy. I asked 2 different people. One said $300 and the other said $40. Guess which one is going to do it. Thats a lot of $'s difference there.

Ah......how nice! I got the powersteering on today. Very nice. What a cruiser. Well maybe not but it sure steers good now.

Latest posts

Back