Another Fiskars review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an x27 and I really like it. I will not split with an 8lb maul again. One thing I have noticed is when you hit the handle on a piece of wood, the vibration is much worse than any fiberglass handle. I figured it would be less since the handle is hollow but I guess the fibercomp handle is much stiffer and harder than any fiberglass handle. Not really a problem since I need to quit doing that.

I have an x27 and I really like it. I will not split with an 8lb maul again. One thing I have noticed is when you hit the handle on a piece of wood, the vibration is much worse than any fiberglass handle. I figured it would be less since the handle is hollow but I guess the fibercomp handle is much stiffer and harder than any fiberglass handle. Not really a problem since I need to quit doing that.

I wonder if covering part of the handle with foam / rubber / etc. would dampen some of this?

The X27 is $100 down here.:msp_thumbdn:

Ya but can't you still get like 090s or similar "not for sale in USA any more" saws, and you have a lot more variety in small diesel trucks. Today, I might be wrong, but I don't think we have a single small/compact diesel truck you can buy new, and there were so few offered in the past there isn't much of a selection on the used market other than completely worn out and sorta running. Heck, mine is an 81.

I had to pace around the chopping block yesterday for a minute or two while shaking off a real hand-stinging from my X-25. I overshot my target and whacked the handle really hard on the wood. Wow, that was painful!

I had to pace around the chopping block yesterday for a minute or two while shaking off a real hand-stinging from my X-25. I overshot my target and whacked the handle really hard on the wood. Wow, that was painful!

I have never hit it that bad but it is alot more painful than a fiberglass handle which has some give to it, where as the fiskars does not.

I have never hit it that bad but it is alot more painful than a fiberglass handle which has some give to it, where as the fiskars does not.

I wrapped one of my Fiskars with paracord. It seems to dampen the vibrations a bit but it makes the handle a bit fatter than I like.

IMG_2357.jpg

I haven't had any issue with the handle on my x27 transmitting too much vibration, but I have only had it for a couple weeks, and about 1 cord of wood. I too was surprised to find the end of the handle hollow, but it hasn't been an issue. With the lighter, more efficient tool, I find I am more accurate, and have less handle strikes than I had with the heavier maul I used before. Lighter makes my aim better, more efficient means I am not throwing quite as much back and shoulder into each strike.

Be that as it may, I assume you guys have seen and considered the dense rubber handle savers like the one I slipped on the fiberglass handle on the old maul in this picture (which I used earlier in this thread, but here it is again). They cost about $5 at a hardware store, and I admit, have saved my handle more than once.

P1050033.JPG

Have any of you Fiskars Worshipers tried to teach it to run your saws?

Seems like that is the only thing it can't do!! :msp_smile:

Ted

Sorry for the blasphemous post! lol Here comes the flaming, for sure!!

Have any of you Fiskars Worshipers tried to teach it to run your saws?

Seems like that is the only thing it can't do!! :msp_smile:

Ted

Sorry for the blasphemous post! lol Here comes the flaming, for sure!!

---mine just scares the wood into splitting now, it just gives up. NO MAS, NO MAS!

Had some pretty straight grained ash and it took me 5 swings to split a 22" ash chunk in half. Down the middle in half. Used the X25 too.

Buy one Ted!!!!:angry2:
FYI I have been putting a NARLY piece of wood in front of my chopping block to block swing-through on those rounds that don't go flying and I have to make that light swing to finish it off.
Thank goodness for my stop-block tonight as I think my X25 would have been a bit bloody...:eek2:

Latest posts

Back