Another 'guess that wood' thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Cut this one down for a neighbor today. Tall and skinny like a poplar. Bark looks kind of like cherry on the main trunk, but more like birch on the branches. I can't tell if the leaves are single or compound. Wood is rather sweet smelling.

IMG_7679.JPG
IMG_7680.JPG
IMG_7681.JPG
IMG_7682.JPG
IMG_7683.JPG
IMG_7684.JPG

Yes, I think you nailed it, Del. I had a black cherry in my yard I cut down many years ago, and I remembered the bark, but the different looking bark on the branches threw me. Also the inner wood wasn't as dark as I expected.

Shoulda been some small cherries on it already, and should have had the smell to it. The bark on the main trunk and the leaves where clinchers. I am mostly colorblind so the end grain color is meh to me, I have to go mostly by texture/shape and odor.

It's nice firewood man, stack it!! Split some and get the bark off of it and chunk it up, smoker/grill wood. After is is split, a chop saw works good to make those nice fist sized chunks.

Or you can cut a lot of four inch cookies, stack them up and do superdude splitting, chips a flyin!

That is definelty black cherry. Tripping over the stuff here. Mills will pay top dollar for it but there picky. Last log I sent was at 495 per 1000 but I had two deductions and I thought the log was a beauty. If I cut it for smoking however its sold right off.

Yep black cherry. I cut one down every now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like black cherry to me got a ton from the winter that got knocked over and broke never burned it so hoping its good prob got 2ish cords of it

Back