For you Woos Pro's, Name this wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
TreeIDc.jpg- I thought Wild cherry, but the Wood is White , I thought locust, but the leaves aren't right, Buddy said Yellow Birch, But the Bark doesn't just peel off like paper, about 75 ft tall, 30 inches across- Tree IDa.jpgTreeIDb.jpg

Attachments

• TreeIDd.jpg
    TreeIDd.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • TreeIDf.jpg
    TreeIDf.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • TreeIDe.jpg
    TreeIDe.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
The bark doesn't "peel off" of yellow birch like it does off of white birch, & the wood somewhat resembles maple. A pic of the leaves should help answer your question. Just noticed the leaves, & I still don't know. Hackberry is related to elm whose leaves are uneven at the base. Maybe a hybrid? We have some trees around here which have leaves like black cherry & bark like a sycamore??!

I added leaf pics but will try again, best i can do TreeIDd.jpg

Attachments

• TreeIDf.jpg
    TreeIDf.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
hard to say, leaves are like a Wild black cherry, but the bark and color of the wood isn't, bark kind of like locust but leaves don't add up-

anyone else want to throw their hat in ?? Tree is in S WI

one more , Bark is pretty solid, it looks like it will peel off but its hard to break off, TreeIDe.jpg

Dang Wolfie!! I think you Got it- Must be a odd ball tree- It does have little black berrys

Old CB said it first.

Yep, he did. I've watched the video & resorted to my tree book this AM. The leaf form definitely suggests Hackberry. In Michigan it only grows in the southern 1/2 of the lower peninsula. I believe the OP indicated that he was in southern Wisconsin, so his tree is probably one of the most northerly specimens there.

Back