Another home built splitter question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ridgebacks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have run across a number of cylinders that I am consider for a splitter build. They are 5" diameter w/a 3 inch shaft. They are double acting and supposedly brand new. They have screw on caps though. That is throwing me for a loop. Are they indeed hydraulic? Maybe pneumatic? Are they a low pressure cylinder?
Other info: 36" stroke (yeah, a little long), and $225. Anybody wanna know where to get one?

External thread caps are among the best cylinder designs. A the pressure tries to expand the bore the threads hold tighter. intenal threads are common to. With a 3" ram I doubt its a air cylinder. Any idea on the packing style, port size and pressure rating?
Where can I get one?

Last edited:
I'm guessing the size of the port opening to be near 1". I have no idea on the pressure rating. They are in one of these out of the way industrial salvage yards. The guy that runs the place seems like a straight-up old timer, which is good. He claimed that they are $1k cylinders new. He bought these and many others surplus. They are in Louisville, KY. I didn't take the time to dig them out of the pile and look for any I.D. on them. Maybe I should have.

Back