Another I Hate the Propane Guy Post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren_nh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wife just called me at work. "We got our propane tank filled". Hot water, cooking and radiant heat in one room in the house (kitchen), is all the propoane is used for. No heat other than hot water for the floor.

We used nearly 500 gallons last year. My bargain price today was just over $3.00 a gallon. :jawdrop: They delivered about 150 gallons.

I am considering going to an electric hot water heater. These prices are insane!

The thread title reminded me to call, need a fill up, should be around 370 gallons by the time they deliver it this week.

Customer :buttkick: LP company, electric co, oil, gasoline, all the same.

Instead of hitting up the Brinks truck, I'm looking for a Propane One truck to highjack. You should make a better haul.:)

Go with a HPHW heater.

Wife just called me at work. "We got our propane tank filled". Hot water, cooking and radiant heat in one room in the house (kitchen), is all the propoane is used for. No heat other than hot water for the floor.

We used nearly 500 gallons last year. My bargain price today was just over $3.00 a gallon. :jawdrop: They delivered about 150 gallons.

I am considering going to an electric hot water heater. These prices are insane!

Find a cheap used electric hot water tank in good shape and buy a AirTap A7 for it. Cheap DHW and free demidification (if you need it).

Find a cheap used electric hot water tank in good shape and buy a AirTap A7 for it. Cheap DHW and free demidification (if you need it).

what's an airtap a7? i have an electric and you have to use a timing light to read the thing when it kicks in.

MY propane folks are nice, of course they are for 1200.00 a pop. This week end they delivered 400 gals that we did not order or approve. Called them and told them to pick it up and take the tank. I'm going to have to find another backup heat source even if it's a heat pump. All I need is night and sick days. That way maybe my wife will lay off the thermostat...no chance. When we went to propane it was cheaper then electric, now it's much more expensive, maybe triple. We have been out since Jan and did fine on the furnace, just put a bottle on the gas logs.....Lanny:mad:

I'm in the same boat, but cant complain to much since installing the wood stove. Just took my second delivery in 3 years. I work 24 on 72 off and expecting second child soon. With wife prego she couldn't maintain stove while I was at work. Burn less wood but more gas this year:(:(:(

Propane dealers are being real nice guys. The price they pay in Albany NY at the port is "RACK PRICE" of $.80-.85 per gallon :monkey::monkey: They MUST have those shiny new delivery trucks though so DOT does not bother them its a vicious circle

Yeah I'm puzzled as to what to do. I just can't stand the propane cost. We are in the TVA system and ou rates are better than most on electricity. The worst thing about propane is the bills are due in two weeks. I'm not organized enough to predict when I'll need it and it hurts...oh it hurts. Especially to know I could just do without it, just have to work a little harder....Lanny

3000 sq ft house and hot water Im using 1000 gallon a year, all year. Just bought my heatmor 400 and saving for the pipe. Will put it in this summer or fall, I cant wait till the propane man comes to deliver next winter and I take 50 gallons!!!!:buttkick:

For some reason, our propane company has forgotten about us, and I am sure glad too!We use propane only for cooking, and after getting the tank installed over five years ago, we started to have to chase off the propane man.He would stop and try to top off the tank every two weeks, and I would catch him and tell him we didnt need any.We are supposed to pay a rental fee of 75 bucks a year for the tank, but after the first year we stopped getting a bill.then the delivery guy quite coming by.
Havent refilled this tank in the five years we have had it,but I dare say that when we do need to fill the tank they are going to slap us with four years of tank rental on top of the refill.:cry:

For some reason, our propane company has forgotten about us, and I am sure glad too!We use propane only for cooking, and after getting the tank installed over five years ago, we started to have to chase off the propane man.He would stop and try to top off the tank every two weeks, and I would catch him and tell him we didn't need any.We are supposed to pay a rental fee of 75 bucks a year for the tank, but after the first year we stopped getting a bill.then the delivery guy quite coming by.
Havent refilled this tank in the five years we have had it,but I dare say that when we do need to fill the tank they are going to slap us with four years of tank rental on top of the refill.:cry:

Call up your propane supplier and ask to buy the tank. I rented my tank for eigth years and then purchased it for $450 complete with the lines gauges etc. three years ago. Now I have the freedom to use the free market system to my advantage as I shop around at least twice a year.
My last fill was back in Oct. of 2008 about 260 gallons....at $1.55/ gallon...
should be good until the spring when I will top off and be GTG until October.

Before I installed my Aqua therm OWB five years ago I was burning through +-1400 gallons per year, now I am down to right around 500 gallons.

My Mom has a 2400 sq ft house (has aunt and mother livng with her 90yr old and 99 yr old). The heat is always on 75*, old ladys are always cold. All propane, 2 zone heat, stove, dryer, hot water. I've tried talking her into burning wood but she aint having none of it.
She's on a propane budget plan $500. a month year round.:jawdrop:

Last edited:
They took the tank yesterday, it's on now. I'm free! sort of. I'm sure we'll have pw, propane withdrawls, but its 78 here for now and all is good. I need a fire to play with....Lanny:clap:

Wow, some of you guys are really getting rooked. We paid $1.60 last week for 246 gallons. That's what we used since July 08.

They took the tank yesterday, it's on now. I'm free! sort of. I'm sure we'll have pw, propane withdrawls, but its 78 here for now and all is good. I need a fire to play with....Lanny:clap:

I'll bet that gave you a nice warm and fuzzy feeling watching that money pit drive away! :cheers:

I just ordered 500gal at $1.45. They tried to stick me for $2.05 from a previous budget contract that I defaulted. I still heat with propane only but I'm building the wood pile for 2010 conversion :clap:

Brian

Back