Another I Hate the Propane Guy Post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Shnit! My propane stealer charges $4.20 p/gal. I own my own tank and shop around every year. Not for much longer though....:clap:

uhh I guess you guys dont want to know what my last 2 fill ups were ... the first one was 1.06 and the last one was 1.11....

Lanny... had a thought... what about getting a couple of 100lb tanks?

Not to rain on anyones parade...but I LOVE my propane guys....just not spending the money! So far this year the garage heat alone has cost me about $400!

I play basketball with one of them and he will show up from 25 miles away on a friday night at 5pm to fill up my 75 gallon garage tank so I have someplace warm to hang out and drink beer for the weekend. Seriously...if I could half this kind of service from anyplace else...I don't know what I would do.

Gotta love the small town co-op guys!

BTW....I did send him packing with an armload of beers for the late week fill up.

Last weeks fillup was at $1.65 cash.

Last edited:
I tried to buy a tank... All the suppliers here refuse to sell them... So I went over their head, and talked with the manufacturer... Got on the horn with the regional rep, and he said they won't sell to the public--only to suppliers. It's a nice racket they have going.

I asked the manufacturer if I could build my own, and have it certified... He said I could, but it would be a PITA.

He said my best bet would be to find one for sale on a big ranch on the East side of Montana... Wait for an auction, and buy it. I checked it out, and they're in auctions quite a bit--I think that's the route I will take.

I have dreams of bringing a tank home, and calling the propane Nazi's to come pick theirs up... It will feel really good!

uhh I guess you guys dont want to know what my last 2 fill ups were ... the first one was 1.06 and the last one was 1.11....

Lanny... had a thought... what about getting a couple of 100lb tanks?

Yeah, we're using a 20 lb on the gas logs now, a bottle lasts 3-4 days,20.00. I don't think the per lb cost is too good on a fill at the local co-op. My mom's old house had base board electric heat only, her bill never got over 150.00. Our winters are normally pretty short, but pretty cold here near the smokies. My biggest problem is not really heating when it's cold, more so when its just chilly. Gets to hot for me in the house, wife loves it,with the wood furnace. But my house is long and not too well insulated, it loves gas...Lanny

Darren......
not knowing your set up, but if you do put a electric hot water heater in, hang a heat exchanger off of it, if you have a OWB.

That's what we did here. And we have the heat exchanger under the inside propane furnace. So we went from 500 gallons a year ( heat/cookstove )to maybe 20 gallons for our cookstove only now. The propane company is not going to be happy with us end of this month when I tell them to remove their tank. After 18 yrs of doing business with them, the time has come.
If we have them downsize us, they want about $ 350 a year for us to use 50 gallons or less. Not going to happen. We are going to buy our own tank/s.
Our cost a year ago, for our propane was $ 2.45 a gallon. They wanted to give us a credit for when they empty this tank. I told them no way. We want a refund.

Back