another lesson in customer relations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not_a_bush_guy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I guess I underestimated how upset some people get when you show up later than you said you would. From now on I'm getting a deposit. And I will no longer give an arrival time. Maybe an ETA.... maybe

People do get upset when you act like a flake.

You are in a service industry. Part of a service is doing what you said you would do.

Maybe you should just tell them you are a flake and you will do the job when you get around to it. :confused:

Dang Nathan, ya eat some bad brautwurst, orrrr something?

Bush Guy, I guess you know now. I wouldn't go with the deposit thing, but I would be clear with them on when I would do the job. If yur backed up, let em know about it. And if construction is dependent upon you doing your job, you need do your best to not hold it up. Get in and get out.

Don't ever let the customer piss you off. It ain't professional, and no good will come from it.

service industry? I don't know about that

Well, this particular customer happened to be insane. And I guess what happened is ultimately my fault for trying to bend over backwards for her. But I reserve my right to gripe and be cynical over it. Is getting a deposit a good idea? Its standard practice in business, I just don't really hear about it in the tree business. I lost money today.

A long time friend of mine is VERY reliable. If he says he will be somewhere at a certain time, he is there within 15 min of that time. Many of his customers will comment about just how reliable he is. "It's a good thing," as Martha Stewart would say.

Just remember that once you take a deposit from a customer .......... they will want the work done that much quicker!

Once money has exchanged hands..............patients goes all of the window!

Therefore, if you know that you're going to be busy and might have to delay the job for a day or two, I personally wouldn't take the deposit. It will just lead to problems down the road.

Isn't it funny how money can bring so much happiness and yet cause so much pain!

I accepted my first deposit last week. I was getting pi**ed off because someone was coming behind me and lowballing the job after I had already gotten the go ahead. This time of year there are some real hungry hacks out there. And thieves too.. watch your tools.

{expletive obscured}

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are going to be late just call. most people will understand and it is just common courtesy. we are not like other industries, many people want to be there to view our work and plan their day around you. being late is a great way not to retain clients.

I've taken deposits before, however the only times I did that, the job was over $2,500 To take a deposit for a job less than that is kind of strange IMO unless the customer has a really bad reputation around town or something like that.

The arriving on time matters in all business, not just the tree business. If someone indicates to me they will be here at a certain time, I get pretty PO'd if they are not there.

Things come up, and people understand that. What they do not understand is a perceived lack of respect for their time and their money. They are paying you to provide a good quality service, part of which is being dependable.

If you can't make the time, then give the courtesy of a call - a little kindness and respect goes a long way...

Why don't you put a cancellation penalty in your contracts? I have one in mine. I have in bold red letters right above their signature acceptance line the following: YOUR SIGNATURE CONSTITUTES A BINDING CONTRACT. CANCELLATION IS SUBJECT TO A CANCELLATION FEE OF 25% OF THE TOTAL CONTRACT PRICE.

I have never had anyone cancel on me after signing a proposal. You ARE having them sign a proposal or contract, aren't you?

Here's another one for you .....

Got a call for a estimate. Wife of customer wanted to be sure I was the same person that did a job for there friend and I was. Was invited to customers house to give the estimate. Wanted some small pines take down in front yard, no problem. Asked customer about back yard. We walked to the back yard and I noticed that a fairly large pine tree was looking a little sick and mentioned that It looked like it was struck my lighting awhile back. He went on to explain that yes. last year he did have lighting damage in the house but the he and the fire Marshall couldn't't figure out were it came in the house from. Well I did. It was from the tree. Asked if the customer wanted me to see if I could get the same claim that was opened for the house damage reopened for the tree. Customer said yes so I gave him a estimate on the damaged pine tree removal. I talked with the insurance comp. and they reopened the old claim and the customer was getting $500.00 to-wards removal of the tree.

Long story short. Called customer a couple of days after talking with his insurance comp. and the guy had given the job to SOMEONE ELSE.

What can I say. :eek:

Oh but i did give him a estimate. Price for the small pine removals and the larger pine. Emailed it to him for his insurance comp. and explained to him what the insurance was going to cover. I'm not sure what happened. He said that he had someone else he had used before do the job. I'm not sure that he want just keep the money and do nothing. Next time I'll get a deposit and his left nuuuu/leg.

:)

Hey bush guy! service industry

not_a_bush_guy said:
Well, this particular customer happened to be insane. And I guess what happened is ultimately my fault for trying to bend over backwards for her. But I reserve my right to gripe and be cynical over it. I lost money today.

If it is not a service then what are you selling :confused: :confused:

You lost money because of your actions, not her's. You failed to properly qualify a client and if they were qualified, find out what their needs were.

There are crazy clients. Many people need a psychiatrist, not an arborist. You failed to see this. That is ok . The trick is to learn from it and learn how to better qualify clients in the future. Crazies will always sneak in.

Can-Do-It said:
Oh but i did give him a estimate. Price for the small pine removals and the larger pine. Emailed it to him for his insurance comp. and explained to him what the insurance was going to cover.

I would phrase it as a consultation fee applicable to the future work if the insurance company reopens the claim. If i were you I would send him a bill for one hours consulting for contacting his insurer. It was a service rendered.

Nathan Wreyford said:
If it is not a service then what are you selling :confused: :confused:

I don't adhere to the the customer is always right thing too strictly. Simply, a lot of people don't realize, respect the nature of arbortry; arbortry? :eek: How many times have you been up in a tree and had the sacred customer tell you they actually wanted twice as much taken out, their attitude is "While you're up there"

Last edited:
It's a free country, and you're able to tell the customer where to stick it if you want. On the other hand, if you want to run a successful business, you need to figure out how to take care of your customers because the trees aren't signing the checks.

not_a_bush_guy said:
I don't adhere to the the customer is always right thing too strictly.

The customer is not allways right, but they are allways the customer.

If you think they are idiots, then it will come through in your attitude.

What it all boils down to is that we are skilled property managers, when working with other peoples property you have to work within their needs.

If they come out and say they expected more from you after you were doen then youfailed to properly set their expectations athe the time of sale.

I'm amazed at the number of owners who still write the spec's as "thin tree, raise tree" ect... and then complain that the client dod not understand what was intended.

If I have a large tree i'm doing roof clearance on and I just want to get small branches, i will tell them I'm going to be working pretty "minimalistic" removing as little leraf mass as possible. Expalining why we don't want to remove several large limbs to make 20 ft of clearance, or take one branch from a 60 ft tree that is 10 feet from the house because the fear that branch may fall on the house.

Kwee cho b'chen

JPS - Consulting fee

Thanks JPS. I like your idea of the Consultation fee. Even if the customer does not pay the fee, it should play as a reminder of what he did. I will detail my conversation with his insurance agency, the claims office on his behalf. Not berating what he did but as a reminder of what a professional run company has to offer it's customers.

Thanks again JPS. :blob2:

A mechanics lean came to mind too, but then it was your fault for not getting a contract beofre going ahead with the legwork.

I learned a long time ago to get a signature, then a little ernest money to lock it in. I'm told that that form is better in a contract because it implies that the people want the service more. I know of one guy who uses "eanest money to bind the contract" that he got from his lawyer.

Back