another load of mystery wood, id help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostnut

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, mother nature finally gave us the partial thaw I needed to get back thru the fields & cut some wood. Felt good, been too long. Anyway, I brought home another unknown species. Any ideas? Its straight grained & splits pretty easy with a maul, has no noticable odor and has a smooth & thin bark. Here's the pics, what do you think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

just a Wag....maple

Any whole leaves left on ground ??

Whatever it is, looks like easy splitting and many a warm night after seasoning

There may be leaves under the snow, not sure. Couldn't tell you which tree they were from if I found them, not sure if they would help.

Around here we call 'em swamp maple...for some reason they have multiple trunks when they grow in water. I dunno why.

Soft maple. Hard maple would not have as many vertical stems and would not grow in clumps like that. Semi rough gray bark with lichens on it, straight white grained wood tells me soft maple. In the spring thaw the stumps will ooze gobs and gobs of sap. That will confirm it.

Definately silver maple. Have a wetland timber full of it. It's no oak or hickory but burns really good when seasoned. Just doesn't last to long, you'll want to have it off the ground when stacked. Nice to handle too because it is so light once seasoned. Neat pics you took, thanks for sharing.

It's a dead ringer for the "Swamp Maple" I have here.

Let it season for a full year and it ain't bad for early fall and late spring warm ups. Splits nice though.

Make sure to treat the stumps after cutting, or it will shoot a gazillion suckers out and be back in no time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's a dead ringer for the "Swamp Maple" I have here. Let it season for a full year and it ain't bad for early fall and late spring warm ups. Splits nice though. Make sure to treat the stumps after cutting, or it will shoot a gazillion suckers out and be back in no time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
If you let that stuff season for a full year, better burn it immediately. After two years, silver maple becomes punky as popcorn, even if stored indoors.:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back