Another Mix Ratio question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep ...... every time my son and I cut for a day he has a go at me because I tune at 06:00 and depends on when the temp gets up in the middle of the day and the I tune again later in the arvo sometimes as late as 17:00 or later depending on the day .
Funny thing is every time we swap saws and I give his back to him he has a cheasy grin .
The 2 best saw mods are tune and a bloody SHARP chain ......
Absolutely , correct deye ! :dancing:

If your not happy with the mix, use the fuel in a vehicle of some sort, I put any
saw fuel that is a month old into my car tank, it mixes down with the rest of the
fuel and causes no issues, if your run kerosen heating, put it into the large tank,
it will get diluted and keep things from freezing, same goes for diesel tractor,
pour it in there and fill the tank with diesel.

Or put more oil into the mix, even engine oil, for all you need to add to bring it up
to the correct levell it wont natter in the slightest.

If your not happy with the mix, use the fuel in a vehicle of some sort, I put any
saw fuel that is a month old into my car tank, it mixes down with the rest of the
fuel and causes no issues, if your run kerosen heating, put it into the large tank,
it will get diluted and keep things from freezing, same goes for diesel tractor,
pour it in there and fill the tank with diesel.

Or put more oil into the mix, even engine oil, for all you need to add to bring it up
to the correct levell it wont natter in the slightest.
Worth noting I've poured mix in my trucks for years, but it cost me $2000 in a newer Subaru, twice before I learned my lesson... Killed the cat's & blew the head gaskets.

How much fuel did you put in?
3 gallons... I have been putting that much at a time in my old tacoma & dakota a few times a year for 10 years plus, no issues.
Subaru immediatly threw emissions codes, & very shortly later overheated and started misfiring with coolant in the oil. The head gasket may not be related, It's just an odd coincidence.

3 gallons... I have been putting that much at a time in my old tacoma & dakota a few times a year for 10 years plus, no issues.
Subaru immediatly threw emissions codes, & very shortly later overheated and started misfiring with coolant in the oil. The head gasket may not be related, It's just an odd coincidence.
OP overdone it with three gallons, I put chainsaw mix in my toyota avensis for 6 years, it lay up this past two, put a battery
in it and it started instantly, sent it off to africa a few days ago, even cut the pipe with the cat out of it and got 80.00 euro for it.

I have seen people put their foot on the accellerator to start their car and destroy the cat.
Head gaskets going is nothing to do with a little two stroke oil in the mix, but tells me your
engine had troubles, Subaru is underbuilt, skinny shell bearings that wear in no time,
they are continious trouble, I worked at cars for a long time, and would not reccomend
a subaru.

I wouldn't recommend subaru either, but it was free at the time... my tacoma has 400k+ miles & out of the 290k miles I've put on it I have 1/4 the repairs in it as my 10 year newer 120k mile forester. Even my 23 year old dodge dakota has been more reliable.

I 've always done 2.5 gal mix oil to 2 gal of gas. Whether engineers say so or not I prefer 40:1 for the last 20 yrs. Only problem I have had is ethanol issues now switched to leaded race gas for 2 stroke engines and no more problems. Bought 1 VP 5 gal of gas and use that as my premix can now for the gas station race fuel.

I just rely on the pump to tell me when I have a gallon or 2 gallons of gas in the can. I always run the first half gallon into the trucks tank the put the amount of gas into my mix can that I have oil measured out for. Then top off into the truck to the nearest dollar

Not in a million years I would put straight OIL in my vehicle gas tank. Ive read that countless times... "just dump your old mix in the tank". For 1, NO. For 2. Youre dumping 20ml of oil in there for every liter of mixed gas. Thats 75ml per gallon..... refined gas is pretty oil free. I wonder why

Just pour the old mix on the fire for firestarter. Or mix less. Idk. It aint going in my tank.

Theres also absolutely zero chance I'd mix gas or diesel. Should I even explain?

Subaru engine needed a headgasket before you even bought it. Trash engines, rofl

I've put 1-2gal of old mix in my Ranger 18gal gas tank once or twice a year for who knows how long. I've also been known to thrown an old bottle of mix oil into the crank case. I call that top end lube.

I've put old 2T fuel into car and truck fuel tanks for many years with no problem. For the marine engine on my boat (raw-water cooled Chevy 350), I've put one hell of a lot more oil than that (like a gallon of oil in 80 gallons of gas) with no problem. Lots of people I know put ATF (a lot like "Marvel Mystery Oil") into the gas for their inboard marine engines to try to prevent rust in the fuel system components and keep the TBI jet clear, etc...

However, I wouldn't put gasoline into the fuel for a kerosene heater or diesel engine -- as somebody in the thread suggested -- in a million years. And I sure as hell wouldn't use gasoline as "firestarter" on a bet. "Here, hold my beer while I incinerate myself in a 40-foot fireball."

Not in a million years I would put straight OIL in my vehicle gas tank. Ive read that countless times... "just dump your old mix in the tank". For 1, NO. For 2. Youre dumping 20ml of oil in there for every liter of mixed gas. Thats 75ml per gallon..... refined gas is pretty oil free. I wonder why

Just pour the old mix on the fire for firestarter. Or mix less. Idk. It aint going in my tank.

Theres also absolutely zero chance I'd mix gas or diesel. Should I even explain?

Subaru engine needed a headgasket before you even bought it. Trash engines, rofl
Putting a measured quantity of gas in diesel is the old-fashioned, recognized, proven way of formulating a winter blend. Old owner's manuals tell you how.

many of us have been dumping our old mix in our 4 stroke engines (any of them) for decades. Some of us are second-generation that.

jftr.

Putting a measured quantity of gas in diesel is the old-fashioned, recognized, proven way of formulating a winter blend. Old owner's manuals tell you how.

many of us have been dumping our old mix in our 4 stroke engines (any of them) for decades. Some of us are second-generation that.

jftr.
Old fashioned which doesn’t work nicely with modern high pressure diesel fuel systems. Put gas in a modern diesel and you’re replacing injectors and high pressure fuel pumps. That repair is roughly 8k if it ruined everything. You should be running an additive like optilube or equivalent in a modern diesel.

BS.
What do you think winter diesel is, but thinned diesel.

modern fuels don't play nicely with anything, yet they are. I am far more worried about running vegetable based fuels through my gear than any harmful effects I might suffer from a little oil in my gas or a little gas in my diesel.

anyway

Latest posts

Back