Another mod complete and running GREAT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlBoy440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well Yesterday we finished my buddies 359 woods port. I am very pleased to say the least, I have a 372 that is bone stock and this 359 feels as powerful or just a tad faster in big wood(20" bar in 18" Red Oak). My best time for one cut through this 18" log was 12.6 seconds with just my handfiled round chisel chain. I thought that was pretty dang good, and my buddy was grinning from ear to ear. So that makes 3 saws I have done so far, and all have been getting better and better, this sight and its members has been a BIG help, thanks!
Mack

37 views and nobody can say anything, dang, well it is getting tested against my bone stock 372 sometime this week, it seems to be alittle faster by my initial timing though, but my 372 was a nearly new 2000 model and I have ran a few tanks through the old gal since I did that first set of times, and I got a good chain on it. Someonesay something!

Well Yesterday we finished my buddies 359 woods port. I am very pleased to say the least, I have a 372 that is bone stock and this 359 feels as powerful or just a tad faster in big wood(20" bar in 18" Red Oak). My best time for one cut through this 18" log was 12.6 seconds with just my handfiled round chisel chain. I thought that was pretty dang good, and my buddy was grinning from ear to ear. So that makes 3 saws I have done so far, and all have been getting better and better, this sight and its members has been a BIG help, thanks!
Mack

Congrads, did you deck it? how tight did you set squish? There's nothing like a modded saw.

Mack

It runs like a scalded dog compared to stock!!! I love it and am very pleased with the results we got!!

yeah I am learning still so anyone willing to let me try to sharpen my skills, I am going to do the best I can, and out of the 3 saws so far, nobody has been disappointed with them and they are all still running!

I just pulled the gasket and without the gasket the squish was about .024" which is still really reliable I think, opened the transfer at the base and dropped the transfers to make up for the missing gasket, raised the exhaust about 2mm and dropped the intake 1mm. The muffler is really opened up good now. I just richened it up a 1/2 turn on the H and 1/4 on low and it idles at 2700 and tops out around 13,900 and it pulls really well in what I consider big wood for a 359(18" Red Oak).

Ill try and get up some pics tonight when I get home

Congrats on the new 359, mine has been a great saw so far. We will see how this mod hold up under abuse, and it WILL get abused!!:angry2:

Yeah Maddog got some really good photos and you can get alot from them, really was a fun mod job, it was my first experiment with transfers and having the removeable covers made lowering them really easy, these saws do have great potential like many others have said in previous posts!
Mack

Well Yesterday we finished my buddies 359 woods port. I am very pleased to say the least, I have a 372 that is bone stock and this 359 feels as powerful or just a tad faster in big wood(20" bar in 18" Red Oak).
Mack
My modded 359 is close or about the same as my 371xp in 16" hardwood, maybe a touch faster in 10"-12"

I just pulled the gasket and without the gasket the squish was about .024" which is still really reliable I think, opened the transfer at the base and dropped the transfers to make up for the missing gasket, raised the exhaust about 2mm and dropped the intake 1mm. The muffler is really opened up good now. I just richened it up a 1/2 turn on the H and 1/4 on low and it idles at 2700 and tops out around 13,900 and it pulls really well in what I consider big wood for a 359(18" Red Oak).
Did you groove the base or just sealer?
Did you widen the ports?
Did you change the ign. timing?

Sound like you did a good job & it runs good, Would like to see pics. also

yeah I grooved the cylinder base with a carbide bit and used sealer, I also widened the exhaust I guess around 4-5mm toatal with a good round shape, the big gains I would guess woudl be the transfers at the base, if you take the cylinder off you can see where you can cut it out to, I did nothing on the trasfer covers but did raise the tranfers to compensate for the base gasket being removed, Maddog has some great photos just give him time.

yeah I grooved the cylinder base with a carbide bit and used sealer, I also widened the exhaust I guess around 4-5mm toatal with a good round shape, the big gains I would guess woudl be the transfers at the base, if you take the cylinder off you can see where you can cut it out to, I did nothing on the trasfer covers but did raise the tranfers to compensate for the base gasket being removed, Maddog has some great photos just give him time.
Did you remove the outside covers on the transfers & if yes what did you use for a torx bit?

I just did some minor porting and cleaning up of my Husky 353 and had fair luck removing the transfer covers. I used a very small dremel spherical burr to grind the tit out but on the last one, I hit the side a bit, screwed up the torx fit and couldn't get it out--I can get it out but I didn't have another correctly sized screw to put in and didn't have the patience to wait. It runs very well and I'll continue to tinker w/it. I didn't groove the base, but did remove the gasket and used sealer.

It raised an interesting question--when you talk about opening up the muffler to ~85% of exhaust opening, is it referenced to the cylinder port or to the cylinder outlet where the gasket is? I always assumed that it was the outlet where the gasket is, but after working over the exhaust port a tad, I began to wonder.

37 views and nobody can say anything, dang, well it is getting tested against my bone stock 372 sometime this week, it seems to be alittle faster by my initial timing though, but my 372 was a nearly new 2000 model and I have ran a few tanks through the old gal since I did that first set of times, and I got a good chain on it. Someonesay something!
I'll quote myself here, "And the air hung green with envy," :jester:

Nice mate, now get ta work! *pat pat pat pat*

Edit hint> Bad torx (I really hate them I do) If you have a dremel or such with a small (1/32 I believe or a tad more), grab some of the small bits from a dentist and use them to cut a slot big enough for your best screwdriver, DO NOT cut down to the bottom of the head or to the stem! (experience here, not good)
Used hacking saws a few times if you can get at it to cut slots, theres several nice (cheap) blade holders that make this way easy. hm, even sharpened a Philips bit and hamered it in (worked) but not on a machine!
Sometimes in desperation I have tried to hammer in a torx bit so it'll sort of seat, please don't do this, never worked for me, but ya never know :p. :(
Easy Out will work, though with my paws working on small diameter bolts requires a decent drillpress to get a centered hole started then I figure might as well just drill it out and line up the threads with a tap set. Dunno, not a machinist but, have tackled a few 'impossible' nuts and bolts. (a center punch works too but not if you are free-handing). Snapping off big ones is a fun and interesting experience *scratch*. An unfortunate aspect of doing power things on nuts and bolts on smaller things is you don't want to screw up any surrounding materials, especially plastics of any sort.
this prob won't help ya, guess I was lonely :)

:

:D

Last edited:
Back