Another New Miller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OR_Native

Reaction score
Okay guys, you got me. I started lurking around here and got bit by the milling bug. I lurked around for hours (and hours) and learned a ton about milling my own lumber. Finally I decided it was probably time to say Hi and Thank You. It has been written many times before, but this site is a great wealth of information and a great service.
I went out and got a new 3120Xp (ebay), a once used 36" Alaskan (ebay), and a big box o' stuff from Baliey's.
I am really looking forward to milling my first log.
My question is about the slabbing rail setup. I have seen: 2x4 (on end) ones, aluminum box type ones, 2x10 (on its side) ones, Granberg ones, and read about one made out of an engineered I-Joist. What are the necessary adjustment points? Pros and cons of aluminum over wood? What do you think of the I-Joist idea? Other resources on this topic? I have ordered Wood and how to dry it, Harvesting Urban Timber, The Conversion and Seasoning of Wood, and Understading wood. Just waiting for them to arrive and the time to read them. Thank you in advance for your time.

How's it going? I've been using an aluminum extension ladder as my slabbing rail(just one section of the ladder). I'm sure there is a better way but its working for me. I use a 48" level to get it right end to end. I use small blocks of wood wedges to make the adjustments.

Back