Another newbie asks what saw to buy...Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGriz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for posting the same :newbie: question again; Ok, I'm not sorry enough to keep me from posting anyway!

I've been reading a ton of good information here and elsewhere on the web (the elsewhere info is not nearly as good). I'll give you a little background and the three choices I've got it narrowed down to.

I live in SE Wisconsin and heat with wood. I have a Poulan 2075C with a 16" bar that I will keep for limbing and trimming trees around the house, etc.... I want a larger saw for felling and bucking. I'm thinking of something that will pull an 18" bar most of the time, with the option to take a 24" when I run into bigger stuff. I will probably cut 4 - 5 cords per year, anything from pople and pine to hickory and oak. (whatever's free for the cutting).

I think I have it narrowed down to:

Dolmar 5100s. I do have a dolmar dealer less than a mile from the house and several others within 20 miles.

Husqvarna 359. Again, good dealer network in the area. One dealer pushed me to look at a 460, but I don't see the advantage over the 359.

Stihl MS361. Dealers all around me, no problem there. This one does seem pricey compared to the others.

I would appreciate some feedback on these three and any others you think would fit my situation. I've also been told that I'm not looking at a big enough saw to accompany my Poulan.

Just to throw a wrench in things, I may be able to pick up a demo Dolmar 7300 with a 24" bar and 2 chains for under $550.00.

All I can say is that the more I read the more I want to :bang: !

Thanks for puttig up with anohter :newbie: asking the same old question.

Both, Dolmar 5100 and the Stihl 361 are a pleasure to use, and will make quick work of firewood.

It sounds like you have your mind made as far as saw size(cc), both will give you many years of geat service with good maintenance and keep the chains sharp.

Dealer support is all that's left, who do you love.?

Oh, between the 7300 and 7900, just get the 7900 and don't look back.

Last edited:
Hell, might as well give a vote for the 359. This was my first real saw and I love it. The price is right too! Not a race saw, but awesome all around and Husky did a great job on the antivibe. From the looks of it, there is not a bad choice in the saws you are considering.

Wow, thanks for all the quick replys.

I'm not totally set on a saw in this size (cc) range. I thought I was, but a couple of dealers have told me that I'm not going big enough as a companion to the little Poulan.

The demo 7300 is very tempting, but it may be more saw than I need...did I just say that out loud. Damn, a giant beer can should drop on my head.

all those saws mentioned are great saws, but id also take a look at 357xp...

Welcome to Arboristsite.

Any of the saws you mention should be satisfactory for the use you have in mind. Outfitted with an 18" bar for everyday use and a 24" bar with skiptooth chain for the larger stuff, you'll be set.

For what it's worth, here's another perspective that you might wish to consider - The Three-Saw Plan. I've posted stuff about my Three Saw Plan a few times before, but I'll summarize it here. Here it is: I happen to think that most folks who use saws on a regular basis and for multiple purposes - felling, firewood, trimming, etc. - are best served by having three saws. Each saw serves its own purpose and allows the saw's owner to have the right too for the job, whatever that job may be.

The first would be 30-40cc VERY light saw (under 9lbs or so) for small work - limbing, trimming trees and cutting up smaller deadfall. At my house this is my little 34cc Echo. It is the only saw that is stored with its bar and chain installed, and it gets used for everything - trimming trees, cutting up building materials, making little notches in logs when splitting with wedges, etc.

The second would be a 50cc saw in the 10-11lb range. This is the "all around" saw that most guys will probably reach to first. It is also the saw that is capable enough to be useful but manageable enough that you can let a buddy who is not a frequent saw user use it when you're cutting together. In my case, I use an 026Pro with a 16" bar.

The third is your big saw, 70cc+. This saw is the one that you use for blocking up big wood, felling larger trees, and getting through firewood duties quickly. This is the saw that you have a couple bar lengths for, one for firewood and one for big stuff. My Dolmar 7900 fills this role for me, with either a 20" or 28" bar.

There may be instances where one can split the difference and use a high-performance 60cc saw to satisfy both the second and third categories. Guys who cut softwood, or guys who rarely get into material that a 20" bar can't quickly and efficiently handle, these guys can get away with a good 60cc machine.

Thanks for the perspective Computeruser; the three saw plan makes sense.

If I'm looking at this right, the saws I'm considering would fill the middle roll very well. For now the little Poulan can do the small stuff in position one. That leaves a saw in the 70cc plus class to buy at a later date. Does this sound right?

Fortunately, I have a buddy that I cut with who has a big saw that he keeps a 36" bar on for the big stuff.

All this being the case, I think I'm in the right class of saw for now. I just don't want to buy something that will crap the bed in a couple of years and I think any of the ones I'm considering will last a user like me a long time.

It starts with the three saw plan...then before you know it,you're into the twelve step plan...Hello my name is ______ and I'm a chainsaw junkie...:hmm3grin2orange:

Hell, might as well give a vote for the 359. This was my first real saw and I love it. The price is right too! Not a race saw, but awesome all around and Husky did a great job on the antivibe. From the looks of it, there is not a bad choice in the saws you are considering.

MrGriz, I got a 359 & I really like it since I did some mods on it, but it's not a good 24" saw, that's why I have a 371xp also. I'd go with something a little bigger then the 359.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm one of the guys on the site that recommends the 5100...

i love that saw, but for what you want, I think would would be happier with the 361. The 361 has a lot more grunt than the 5100. The 5100 is good for a 16-18: bar in hardwoods. The 361 will easily run a 24"

The 359 is a sick pig imo. I'd buy a 5100 everyday of the week over the 359.

Just my 2 cents...

And take a look at Jonsered

Jonsered CS 2156 TURBO same as Husqvarna 357xp Air Injection
attachment.php

Jonsered CS 2159 TURBO same as Husqvarna 359 Air Injection
attachment.php

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents...

I wouldn't go so far as to say the 359 is a sick pig, just a little lazy & needs a little help, it's a very popular saw on this site.
Computeruser's three saw plan is the answer for most anyone.;)

Well I got a 2159 non Cat (359) and it's a good powerful saw, but I also run it on 98-Oct real gas (no ethanol) and full synthetic 2-stroke oil, and maybe that make some difference.

Back