Another newbie asks what saw to buy...Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the 361 will do everything you would want cutting firewood Balances well with a 16 or 18 inch bar for limbing and cutting the smaller stuff, but has enough arse to pull a 24" or even a 28" when called upon.

With that said it sounds like your starting to think you might need (read want) a bigger saw so let me suggest that you look into the MS440, only 1.2 lbs heavier then the 361 and you get 1 more HP. Makes a 20" bar scream with a 8-pin sprocket, pulls the 24" all day with no complaints at all, will pull the 28" bar nicely and would be capable of pulling a 32" for limited use, but its gonna cost you another benny or two.

Get the MS361... you won't regret it.

Gary

A 24" bar on a 5100 not to sure about that.

Get the MS361 a much better choice for what you describe.

I'm one of the guys on the site that recommends the 5100...

i love that saw, but for what you want, I think would would be happier with the 361. The 361 has a lot more grunt than the 5100. The 5100 is good for a 16-18: bar in hardwoods. The 361 will easily run a 24"

The 359 is a sick pig imo. I'd buy a 5100 everyday of the week over the 359.

Just my 2 cents...

Totally agree, the 361 is your saw, but remember full skip for the 24" bar!......:rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

Well I got a 2159 non Cat (359) and it's a good powerful saw, but I also run it on 98-Oct real gas (no ethanol) and full synthetic 2-stroke oil, and maybe that make some difference.
I would rep you if I could say's I have to spread it around! I love my 2159+ now also non Etech. But I have nothing against the husky the ugly sister all good saw's, so is the Ms 361 probably the best 60cc saw out there, but it is ugly:laugh:

I would rep you if I could say's I have to spread it around! I love my 2159+ now also non Etech. But I have nothing against the husky the ugly sister all good saw's, so is the Ms 361 probably the best 60cc saw out there, but it is ugly:laugh:

Well, the is slimmer and neater (and lighter) than the 359/357xp/2159/2156, despite of the inboard clutch (which is much better).......:rockn: :rockn:

Stihl MS361. This one does seem pricey compared to the others.

Hahahahaha, you've caught on already! Stihl saws cost a bit more than their competitors - marketing at its finest! Nothing wrong with the 361 - it is praised by many. I haven't run one, but it felt good in my hands.

The 359 Husky mods very well - with the muffler opened up, and the cylinder worked over, HUGE improvements are made.

The 5100S is by far one of the hottest production saws currently in production. It is also likely the BEST BUY of the three saws you listed. It is a weekend warriors dream saw - smooth, powerful, and gives you a BIG bang for your buck. I would steer you towards a 5100S with 3/8" chain.

Your dealer was pushing the 460 because he probably makes more money on that saw. The consumer grade machines generally have a higher mark-up than the pro models.

Just remember, brand loyalty runs deep, and it will be VERY apparent in this thread. Buy what you like, what feels good in your hands, and what fits your budget.

Josh

Well put it that way I was looking at a 441 but I am going to get a 2171. It fit's me better and my 2159 wont be lonely. Plus maybe they will have a 2147:laugh:

The 2147 have been here since late 2003 or so, but for some reason it weights .2 kg more than the 346xp......

Ah just paper wight weight but it is ugly with the wrong handle bar angle on it!:hmm3grin2orange:

Not really, the streight-across handlebar has to weight a bit more, and there are more plastic on the Jreds also, because of the more "boxy" shape......;)

But it really is a non-issue.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I think the 361 will do everything you would want cutting firewood Balances well with a 16 or 18 inch bar for limbing and cutting the smaller stuff, but has enough arse to pull a 24" or even a 28" when called upon.

Not sure I trust a guy who has " blade " in his signature on a chainsaw forum.:laugh: :laugh:

Very Sound Plan

Welcome to Arboristsite.

Any of the saws you mention should be satisfactory for the use you have in mind. Outfitted with an 18" bar for everyday use and a 24" bar with skiptooth chain for the larger stuff, you'll be set.

For what it's worth, here's another perspective that you might wish to consider - The Three-Saw Plan. I've posted stuff about my Three Saw Plan a few times before, but I'll summarize it here. Here it is: I happen to think that most folks who use saws on a regular basis and for multiple purposes - felling, firewood, trimming, etc. - are best served by having three saws. Each saw serves its own purpose and allows the saw's owner to have the right too for the job, whatever that job may be.

The first would be 30-40cc VERY light saw (under 9lbs or so) for small work - limbing, trimming trees and cutting up smaller deadfall. At my house this is my little 34cc Echo. It is the only saw that is stored with its bar and chain installed, and it gets used for everything - trimming trees, cutting up building materials, making little notches in logs when splitting with wedges, etc.

The second would be a 50cc saw in the 10-11lb range. This is the "all around" saw that most guys will probably reach to first. It is also the saw that is capable enough to be useful but manageable enough that you can let a buddy who is not a frequent saw user use it when you're cutting together. In my case, I use an 026Pro with a 16" bar.

The third is your big saw, 70cc+. This saw is the one that you use for blocking up big wood, felling larger trees, and getting through firewood duties quickly. This is the saw that you have a couple bar lengths for, one for firewood and one for big stuff. My Dolmar 7900 fills this role for me, with either a 20" or 28" bar.

There may be instances where one can split the difference and use a high-performance 60cc saw to satisfy both the second and third categories. Guys who cut softwood, or guys who rarely get into material that a 20" bar can't quickly and efficiently handle, these guys can get away with a good 60cc machine.

Computerusers 3-saw plan is a sound one... of course I didn't follow it...I guess I'll just have to buy another saw! However, let me say this; the MS361 is a great medium sized saw, used in the manner you described...I'm sure that you'd be more than satisfied. The other two saws that you're considering are regarded as good saws. However, I personally would not consider either one of them over the 361 if my needs were the same as yours, which they generally are. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Prolly the only thing we have in common!!!

At least my posts all come from what I use and have run.............not from what I read sitting on the crapper!!!

Maybe, but "actual running" can never replace a reliable dyno test, regarding the real capasity of a saw - it tells just what happened with the set-up and wood in question......:givebeer: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back