Another newbie asks what saw to buy...Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prolly the only thing we have in common!!!

At least my posts all come from what I use and have run.............not from what I read sitting on the crapper!!!

Maybe, but "actual running" can never replace a reliable dyno test, regarding the real capasity of a saw - it tells just what happened with the set-up and wood in question......:givebeer: :givebeer: :popcorn:

In your opinion................but when 2 saws are close...........my own running is the final and absolute test!!!

Last edited:

Not sure I trust a guy who has " blade " in his signature on a chainsaw forum.:laugh: :laugh:

Don't forget the "knuckle gaurd" :p :laugh:

I don't own a "wildthang" or I would have put that in the sig.:biggrinbounce2: :jester: :biggrinbounce2:

How about;

MS260 Pro
036 Pro
038 AVS
MS 460

oh and that Mac 110

Boy I feel much about myself now, arent you impressed. :laugh:

Last edited:
I run the 3 program with:

009L for trimming and the wife.

MS280 for general cutting and felling.

MS441 for 'splitting' big chunks and on bigger stuff.

I also run the 3 saws program

5100, 346, 351

359, 261xp, 365

7900, 372xp, 046

660, 066, 084

Yup, three of each in the 50cc, 60cc, 70-80cc, and 90+ cc

:popcorn: :laugh:

Speaking from experience the more saws you have the more choices you have. Their is nothing better than being able to pick the best {tool} saw for the job. I have many saws and have many options. Now having said that one bit of info I learned from this wonderful site is where to find very good saws cheap. The pawn shop. Find a good one ask if a ID is required to pawn equipment. I did and I found a great 460 [ 6hp ] 24 inch bar and a new chain on it all for $350...I am currently at around 11 or 12 saws lots of choices...... bob

Thanks to all for the input, you guys :rockn: ! After my last post, I went out to split a pile of wood and came back to three more pages of advice; that's great!

I'm sure I will end up with the 3 saw plan x 3 eventually. I just need to know the best way to start. This past winter was my first year burning for heat, so I'm just getting started.

I know a lot of people are high on the MS360; I'm sure it would make an awesome start to a saw collection. I'm just having a hard time justifying it, especially when I can buy that demo Dolmar 7300 with the 24" bar and chains for less money.

At this point I'm still :bang: !

Hahahahaha, you've caught on already! Stihl saws cost a bit more than their competitors - marketing at its finest! Nothing wrong with the 361 - it is praised by many. I haven't run one, but it felt good in my hands.

The 359 Husky mods very well - with the muffler opened up, and the cylinder worked over, HUGE improvements are made.

The 5100S is by far one of the hottest production saws currently in production. It is also likely the BEST BUY of the three saws you listed. It is a weekend warriors dream saw - smooth, powerful, and gives you a BIG bang for your buck. I would steer you towards a 5100S with 3/8" chain.

Your dealer was pushing the 460 because he probably makes more money on that saw. The consumer grade machines generally have a higher mark-up than the pro models.

Just remember, brand loyalty runs deep, and it will be VERY apparent in this thread. Buy what you like, what feels good in your hands, and what fits your budget.

Josh

Around here 1 in 50 people buy a 361 with a 16 or 18" bar. Nearly everyone uses a 20 on it. And as for Stihl being more than Husky, I would disagree at least in our area. We sell both, and unless those who sell Husky discount more than those who sell Stihl they should be pretty comparable for the most part with the husky's being a bit cheaper for the smallest stuff and a bit more expensive fror the largest stuff.

I know a lot of people are high on the MS360; I'm sure it would make an awesome start to a saw collection. I'm just having a hard time justifying it, especially when I can buy that demo Dolmar 7300 with the 24" bar and chains for less money.

At this point I'm still :bang: !

Not MS360, but MS361 - it is a totally new and better design......:D :D

If that Dolmar isn't too heavy for the application, just get it, anyway.....:greenchainsaw:

...it is a lot more saw than the 361, both in power and weight.

Around here 1 in 50 people buy a 361 with a 16 or 18" bar. Nearly everyone uses a 20 on it. And as for Stihl being more than Husky, I would disagree at least in our area. We sell both, and unless those who sell Husky discount more than those who sell Stihl they should be pretty comparable for the most part with the husky's being a bit cheaper for the smallest stuff and a bit more expensive fror the largest stuff.

The Stihl 361 is looking like the best of the three, but I don't know if I can justify the price based on how much I cut. I was quoted $495.00 for the Husqvarna 359 with an 18" bar and $580.00 for the Stihl MS361 with an 18" bar.

I don't know what the exchange rate is from NC to WI, but that stacks up to just shy of $100.00 more for the Husky. Unless I'm missing something.

Gotta figure this out soon...Maybe I'll just hit the lottery and buy a fleet :laugh:

The Stihl 361 is looking like the best of the three, but I don't know if I can justify the price based on how much I cut. I was quoted $495.00 for the Husqvarna 359 with an 18" bar and $580.00 for the Stihl MS361 with an 18" bar.

I don't know what the exchange rate is from NC to WI, but that stacks up to just shy of $100.00 more for the Husky. Unless I'm missing something.

Gotta figure this out soon...Maybe I'll just hit the lottery and buy a fleet :laugh:

Whats the matter ole feller, having a hard time between the 361 Stihl and the 359 Husky. Simple solution, go try them at your dealer. I'm betting you will take that 361 and be glad you did. The 361 is MR RELIABLE, time tested and proven. Seems everyone that rants about the 359 is merely due to price, nothing else. One more thing to note. Should you get all your sawing done and no longer need the saw and you want to sell it you'll regret that 359 bigtime. The used Stihl's bring way more than the used Husky's, tats a fact. A little used 361 will bring 475-550 if you don't scratch it all up. Try getting that with a 359, tant gonna happen.

Back