Another Oil Thread 🙄

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh... The oil wars... Hmmmm.. gonna grab a bucket of popcorn, and let the flames begin!

My only opinion is that some stuff cares, and some stuff just doesn't. When I met my girlfriend, about ten years ago, I watched in horror as she refueled her POS Homelite leaf blower.. She took a can of last year's gas, and dumped a half gallon of it into a one gallon jug. She then proceeded to grab a half full quart of regular engine oil, and upended it into the stale gas. Glug glug.. that was her mix ratio.. "Glug , glug, into a half gallon of stale gas. She gave the gas can a good shake, and then fueled the leaf blower. It started on the third pull, and ran just fine.

Since then, the POS Homelite has received nothing but Premium, Ethanol free gas, mixed properly with a Premium synthetic. Other than needing ( about 5 years ago), a hit of Seafoam to get rid of the " I won't run without half choke snotties", it's still basically bulletproof, at over 15 years old. It just doesn't care. New spark plug and blew out the air filter a couple of years ago.. Other than that ... zero maintenance. Really.. how much are you gonna invest in a $100.00 POS. Sadly, it just won't die.

On the other hand, I've got a Shindawa 802 back pack blower.. Give it Premium Ethanol free gas, with Premium synthetic oil, that's over 45 days old? Yeah, it'll start and run, but it's got to be fully warm before it runs right.

Anyone know why there's so much variation between equipment? I get it that when something is highly stressed ( HIGH OUTPUT), that it needs better everything, But, what is the underlying reason?
No two pieces of equipment are exactly alike I suppose, one of those great unsolved mysteries.

No two pieces of equipment are exactly alike I suppose, one of those great unsolved mysteries.
Yup.. I've got two , ( well, well two and a half), Echo 355Ts.. Supposedly identical, except for being manufactured a year apart. One will start right up, and be ready to cut in a heartbeat. The other? Well, it starts just as easy, but it needs a few more seconds to get it's mojo on... Tuned them properly, maintained them the same, but they are both their own dogs, when it comes to how they run until warmed up. From the serial numbers, no difference in the carbs, or the parts related to the serial numbers , etc. But, they definitely don't run the same. Got one that "fell out of a tree", that is the parts donor.. I guess that'll help define the difference, when I get around to needing the spare parts.

Well, I work on 30 or 40 pieces of equipment a week and I'm still waiting on the problem that the brand of oil they were using was the culprit. Plenty of no oil issues.

I'm thinking that most of you would never wear anything out using Quaker State 8 to 1 .
Other than a ton of exhaust smoke until the plug fouled....lol Heck, I used to run Klotz in my Kawaski 750 triple death trap too. Went like a raped ape but stopped like a snail. Only bike I ever owned that you could wheelie at 50 per. Should have kept it. Worth a fortune today.

Other than a ton of exhaust smoke until the plug fouled....lol Heck, I used to run Klotz in my Kawaski 750 triple death trap too. Went like a raped ape but stopped like a snail. Only bike I ever owned that you could wheelie at 50 per. Should have kept it. Worth a fortune today.
Had a 69 H1 Blue Streak running Yamalube & a 73 H2 Trident Blue running Wynn's 2T both ran like a scalded cat . Tore them both down at 10 k for top end refresh . ( Wisco competition+) K&N Triple air filter upgrade , serious quick in the quarter mile . Both oils as antiquated as they were did their job !

Still own 2 Triumph's and a 67 Norton 750 High pipe scrambler with the rare Metisse oil in frame. It's in Bristol condition as is my Triumph with a custom built sidecar. it's 100% a show queen now. U have a pile of first place show trophies for it and the Norton. Took me 4 years to build the Triumph and it's a Centennial model, last one built entirely in England. Now they are built in Thiland...yuk. I will admit I bought the Norton full restored from my good friend in Marne, Iowa. I don't ride much anymore aid I cannot even start the Norton as the kick start lever is so short, it's an ankle breaker. I will say my buddy in Marne has an extensive collection of Brit bikes, maybe sometime I'll post up pictures and he actually let me ride his TE Lawrence, Brough Superior. Nice bike, fast with no brakes....lol It's all 100% restored as well.

I was EXTREMELY careful with it and I didn't ask how much it was worth either. I'm sure it's worth more than I could ever imagine. One of them I own...

Attachments

• GPMAZtouring1.jpg
    GPMAZtouring1.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 0

I ran a Homelite 7-19C for years selling fire wood when I was 18 or 20 years old.
I think it was 1/2 pint to the gallon. Cast in to the gas tank cap.
Quaker State was 50 cents a quart or thereabouts. Used burnt oil for bar oil.
Didn't even know there was such a thing as bar oil or 2 cycle oil .

I have seen them say something like 1/2 pint of 30 weight motor oil or 1/4 pint of Homelite or McCulloch oil.
May have the ratio off, but something along those lines.

Just looked it up. It was 1/2 pint Homelite oil or 3/4 pint of 30 weight motor oil per gallon gas.

I have about 10 pasteboard cans of Quaker State sitting on an upper shelf in the shop, never opened and they don't leak either. I should put them on Flea-Bay and sell them. Probably worth some jack. Even have a couple of the old school pointed can openers to open them with.... Got a ton of stuff I really should get rid of but I don't. Cats included....lol

Even have a couple of the old school pointed can openers to open them with....
I loved the sound those things made as they cut through the metal top...fingernails on a blackboard, anyone?

Also loved the way they attracted and held every piece of grit within 7 zip codes on the oil film inside ... until you punched through the top of a new can of oil and dumped all that sand and dirt into your crankcase.

Anyone want some nice valve-grinding paste in their engine?

Had a kawasaki 400 triple years ago, tuned pipes, jetted, and the cigarette style air cleaners. Always had issues with the center cylinder running hot, even jetted up fatter then the outside cylinders. Ended up selling it for $400.00 when I ran out of center pistons. I wish I kept it now. Easier to find parts now then it was 20 years ago.

Never said it was certified for it. It is BETTER! Meets or Exceeds!!!!!!!

I was poking fun at it earlier when I posted the wrong data sheet.

And here is a little more gas for the mix. https://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf
It can't meet or exceed twc and the jaso ratings, it's basically impossible as they are two different specifications of oils, for completely different applications and running conditions.

Latest posts

Back