Another question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman Mark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are some of the major things I should be checking/looking over when buying a used tractor, other then the obvious like fluid leaks etc.. ?

how clean is it, has it been serviced regularly, missing parts, jerry rigged things.

Check that all gears work, PTO works, Hydraulics work good, and check for missing parts.

If unfamiliar to you, take a friend along who has experience with tractors used in the application you have. They will be able to tell if something is obviously not right.

Ask the seller for a complete list of what is wrong, and work that needs to be done. That way, if they know and don't tell you, they will be uncomfortable if something happens that was obviously wrong. May not help you, but its worth a try. Most sellers will tell you the truth, if asked, I believe.

See if the pivot bushings and front axle parts are egged-out or have a lot of play. No unusual noises when running in gear or on the PTO. How much tread is left on the tires.

You didn't say what kind of tractor you were wanting to get. I assume your looking at some type of used farm tractor probaly with a loader.

A real good place to find out information is at the Antique Tractor Site or Yesterdays Tractors ( same site ). www.ytmag.com

There is all kinds of info on the question you are asking, plus a lot more than you would care to know about tractors such as production numbers, history on different models, things of that nature.

If you are looking at a farm type tractor stick with IH, J Deere or Ford these are the most popular and most parts are readily available for these tractors.

If you do find a decent tractor and the engine is a little rough and smokey I'd use this as a barganing tool on the price. Engine parts are easy to come by compared to trannys and body parts.

Take some tools with you to pull a spark plug or two, check fluid levels if it doesn't have dipsticks, battery/ charging system meter. Your the buyer you have to live with the machine after the sale, if the seller has nothing to hide he won't mind.

When it comes to used machines it's buyer bewary, I don't hold stock in anything the seller says unless I know the person. What one person considers to be good and what I consider to be good is just a matter of opinion.

By a new Kubota with no intrest right now and you'll sleep easy not to mention people will tell you anything to buy it. Heres a shot of mine, I just need more time to play with it.

I also have a Ford Golden Jublie, if anyone needs a charm let me know.

5744.jpg

chewin_sm_clr.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back