another splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long answer...
What you just said makes no sense...
If a 22gpm pump will move 22 gpm in the primary stage, and it can flow through a 3/4" hose with say ~20lb of pressure, would it not still flow 22gpm through the 1/2" hose at say~40lb of pressure??? Both well within the primary pressure of the pump???

well that makes perfect sense. what you need is 3/8 hose and more pressure.

well that makes perfect sense. what you need is 3/8 hose and more pressure.

Do you want to be a smartass??? Or you gonna answer the question???

Are you saying the cylinder with a 22gpm pump and 3/4" hoses is going to be faster than the cylinder with a 22gpm pump and 1/2" hoses?
If so...
How much faster???

And is it only faster in it's secondary stage? Or both? Or does it just hang tougher in the primary possibly not needing to go to secondary?

How much higher???

Calculate the volume of your cylinder then subtract the volume of the shaft and piston. Find a pump that will deliver that much volume in 3 seconds. If you want give me your specs and I will double check your calculations.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Do you want to be a smartass??? Or you gonna answer the question???

Are you saying the cylinder with a 22gpm pump and 3/4" hoses is going to be faster than the cylinder with a 22gpm pump and 1/2" hoses?
If so...
How much faster???

And is it only faster in it's secondary stage? Or both? Or does it just hang tougher in the primary possibly not needing to go to secondary?

depends on the size of the ports in the cylinder, and the valve. volume equals speed,pressure equals force.

If so...
How much faster???

It will not be noticeably faster.
The only way you will increase speed on the secondary stage is to go with a bigger pump with a bigger secondary stage.

This has been my whole point with all the gobledygook numbers I posted prior. It will increase the PSI a bit and it will require a bit more HP, but in the end you will end up with virtually the same volume/pressure UNLESS you hit a volume/pressure that bypasses your relief valve. Plain and simple.

depends on the size of the ports in the cylinder, and the valve. volume equals speed,pressure equals force.

you hit the nail on the head here. i would like to hear from someone who has actually compared the speed of a cylinder operating with a 3/4 system vs one with a 1/2 in. i'd bet even one with just one 1/2 in. fitting will be slower.

You will be creating much much more heat with smaller hoses as well. Just thought I'd add that. Use the largest size hose you can and limit 90* bends.

It will not be noticeably faster.
The only way you will increase speed on the secondary stage is to go with a bigger pump with a bigger secondary stage.

This has been my whole point with all the gobledygook numbers I posted prior. It will increase the PSI a bit and it will require a bit more HP, but in the end you will end up with virtually the same volume/pressure UNLESS you hit a volume/pressure that bypasses your relief valve. Plain and simple.

That's how I was understanding it... Thank you...

With a 20 gallon tank - you can't.:laugh:

Yeah... I know... :msp_biggrin:

Now to the OP's cycle time concerns...
What about the cylinders with an oversized ram??? I've seen Timberwolf utilize these for really fast retract speeds.
Are they extremely expensive?

Yeah... I know... :msp_biggrin:

Now to the OP's cycle time concerns...
What about the cylinders with an oversized ram??? I've seen Timberwolf utilize these for really fast retract speeds.
Are they extremely expensive?

the cylinder i'm looking at with the -12 ports has a 2.25" shaft. $389.00 plus shipping.

That's pretty good sized, but I was thinking something over 3"...
But with that style, you may be giving up tonnage or durability...
Not sure...

when you get to the really big rams the cost gets way out of hand. the only ones i've seen are high end and very heavy duty stuff. like prince with welded crosstubes etc.

when you get to the really big rams the cost gets way out of hand. the only ones i've seen are high end and very heavy duty stuff. like prince with welded crosstubes etc.

I wondered about that.
The only one I found that was even close was over 700 bucks....
Guess that ain't a big deal if you're charging $15,000.00 for the splitter that surrounds it...
:msp_scared:

The really big pumps and hoses get out of hand quick too...
$$$$$$$$

I wondered about that.
The only one I found that was even close was over 700 bucks....
Guess that ain't a big deal if you're charging $15,000.00 for the splitter that surrounds it...
:msp_scared:

The really big pumps and hoses get out of hand quick too...
$$$$$$$$

yup that's why i'm still weighing my options. i'm not going to start on this thing till i get next year's wood in the barn, so as long as i get it done before next fall i'm good. what i got in my lil ole pea-brain is something similar to that logrite processor with a hydraulic instead of the supersplit splitter. i know that supersplit is a beast but from reading lots of posts, the guys that use them the most are pros and lots of times they only split the good wood on them and leave the kind of crap i split for a hydro unit. i can't justify having 2 splitters. mostly what i'm after is being able to handle my wood as i get older. don't want to have to ask someone else to do it for me.

Matt: I think what you need to do is make a flywheel splitter. Two 500 pound flywheels. Two engines. One very small engine for a small hyd pump to run cyl on log lift!!! LOL :hmm3grin2orange::blob2::laugh:

Back