Another Weird Unidentified Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fellin Feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
P1000932.JPG P1000931.JPG Here is some firewood I cut off of a dead tree in Maryland. There is a picture of the dead tree standingP1000929.JPG . About 4 feet thick at the bottom. The wood has straight grain, a light color, and medium weight.

i'm thinking white oak. any chance we could see a pic of a split? or maybe the dead leaves on the ground?? if there is any leaves left??

little different bark than the ash around here but the lines under the bark looks like EAB damage.
Chad

Last fall I purchased a load of logs that was mostly Oak and a few hard maple and some black ash was in the mix. While I was cutting I found a few of the logs that lookied like the wood in the above picture. I've been cutting wood for some 35 years and never saw a tree with this type of bark. This tree/log was cut the year before so it bucked up nice, a bit hard to split because of the strings but nothing major. The wood dried fast and soon was as hard as a rock. I even burned some within a week of splitting. It burned nice but not much ash. The grain was tight so I saved a few of the longer logs for hammer and axe handles. When the supplier came with my second load of logs, I had asked him what this funny wood was and he told me "White Ash" We have a lot of black and yellow ash in the area but this tree was cut some 80 miles northeast of us so they must grow in that area. My guess would be White Ash....

Some strange looking stuff for sure, and obviously diseased. I'm thinking some kind of elm, just by the bark thickness.
But I'll hedge my bets and say eucalyptus.

i would guess white ash. the tan/orangeish looking parts are diseased, that's not something to guess off of, but the little parts of the regular bark you can see left have that ash look. and the part where the bark is off looks just like emerald ash borer damage.

It was in central Maryland, southern PG county. It is definitely not oak, I cut oak all the time. I doubt if it is ash, never saw one that big around here (4 feet thick at base). No smell, but it has been dead. It is in a river bottom, looks like it is shaped like a sycamore, but it is not. thanks for the replies everyone. Could it be a willow of some type?

I just got some of the same - if you look closely at the first picture you can see the bark coming off in two stages. First the outer layer comes off leaving the tree looking much lighter in color, then the inner layer comes off exposing the wood. I have a fair amount standing dead/fallen Ash on my woodlot that was killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. I don't know the species of ash for sure but it is definitely different that this. The both have the classic tracks eaten through the cambium layer though. This splits a little harder than what I have but neither is difficult. I'm going to guess that this is White Ash and what I usually get is Green Ash. White Ash is the most abundant ash tree in the U.S. and Green Ash is the most abundant in Michigan.

Bark changes at different stages of a trees life. That tree is a very mature specimen and the bark may not resemble the ash tree pictured above. Any chance you can reach a branch or twig ? That would help more.

i would guess white ash. the tan/orangeish looking parts are diseased, that's not something to guess off of, but the little parts of the regular bark you can see left have that ash look.
Looks very much like that. Get the darker bark from higher up the tree.

and the part where the bark is off looks just like emerald ash borer damage.
Wow! Just... wow.

If you look at the lower left section of the butt you can still see some of the deep furrowing on the bark, typical of ash. I think you will find it is white ash.

Probably ash. Other possibility I though of would be Chinese elm. Weird that the bark is wearing off in 2 layers. Maybe squirrels or birds are working at it and causing this.

Other possibility I though of would be Chinese elm.
Chinese Elm:
224_elmbark.jpg

ulmus-parvifolia-bark.jpg

Also, Chinese Elm has a dark reddish-brown heartwood.

The EAB beetle tunneling under the bark damages the phloem and xylum , causing the ridges to slowly separate from the bark. This is the closest example I could find. It is of a green ash.dead green ash.jpg

Back