Another what is this wood thread....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still say ash the bark is too brown and nuggety to be poplar or basswood. The grain in the little split off tag looks exactly like ash. There is a better pic and the same post on **********. Its probably on the verge of being doty is why it cuts easy and burns so fast.

I agree that it could be basswood. Bark looks somewhat like poplar (tulip) but poplar tends to have a greenish tinge to the heartwood. Basswood would cut more like butter than poplar as well.

My thoughts went toward young cottonwood poplar but we will likely
only have hunches the age of this wood has changed it's color.

If it is seasoned and it is Box elder then it is also seasoned maple. Box elder is maple (Acer). It is also called "ash leaved" maple as the compound leaf resembles ash. Growth rings seem to tight to be fast growing Box elder. Also there is usually a red color from V wilt disease. My guess with the tight growth rings is very well seasoned White oak.

If it is seasoned and it is Box elder then it is also seasoned maple. Box elder is maple (Acer). It is also called "ash leaved" maple as the compound leaf resembles ash. Growth rings seem to tight to be fast growing Box elder. Also there is usually a red color from V wilt disease. My guess with the tight growth rings is very well seasoned White oak.

The wood is ring porus or semi ring porus

Boxelder is diffuse porus Basswood is diffuse porus
ash is ring porus and poplar semi ring porus

How can you tell by looking at this picture and not knowing what kind of tree it is whether it is ring or diffuse porous? Meaning having large springwood vessels or having small vessels through out the growth period. Also what does this have to do with my post?

How can you tell by looking at this picture and not knowing what kind of tree it is whether it is ring or diffuse porous? Meaning having large springwood vessels or having small vessels through out the growth period. Also what does this have to do with my post?

Ring porus the rings are more pronounced like in the picture which is caused
by early wood growing fast the latewood slow ! Just trying to eliminate wood that it could not be! Rings on diffuse will be the same throughout the wood and usually less noticeable!

Ring porus the rings are more pronounced like in the picture which is caused
by early wood growing fast the latewood slow ! Just trying to eliminate wood that it could not be! Rings on diffuse will be the same throughout the wood and usually less noticeable!

The diffuse porous rings are still apparent because of cessation of growth where there had been a spread of vessels prior to that. Ring porous or big drink trees, take a big drink early on and less during the season as opposed to the diffuse porous that needs water throughout the season steadily. This is why the ring porous is a more drought tolerant tree. Spring rains and then less during the summer are more easily handled by them.

You really need to know the tree and if it is diffuse porous or see the vessels under a microscope Rope.

The diffuse porous rings are still apparent because of cessation of growth where there had been a spread of vessels prior to that. Ring porous or big drink trees, take a big drink early on and less during the season as opposed to the diffuse porous that needs water throughout the season steadily. This is why the ring porous is a more drought tolerant tree. Spring rains and then less during the summer are more easily handled by them.

You really need to know the tree and if it is diffuse porous or see the vessels under a microscope Rope.

Ok I must have had the wrong impression as I thought the vessels were scattered evenly in diffuse which in my mind were rings being very consistent in size throughout the stem. Thanks for enlightening me here as I looked up a little more info on the subject than is in my material and a hand lens or scope seems the case.

Last edited:
My first guess is ash...but if it's burning that fast I'd say cottonwood. Where in Michigan?

Plainwell ~ Between GR and Kalamazoo. I would put up another pic of it but it's all pretty wet right now with all the rain we have gotten so far. It'll probably go into the stove today as I am close to having this stuff gone and off to burning the good stuff. I figured it would be tough to ID it being it's 5 yr old wood, been out in the weather the entire time, and pretty much junk. I just was curious as to what it might be, as it burns pretty quick, and it all turns to coals/ash in no time. I do appreciate the responses though as it does help me to learn to ID wood from the more knowledgeable people on here.

Thanks again fellas!

Chris

Back