Another, whats this wood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivefour

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked this wood up last week. I have no clue what it is?:confused:
It was around 24", split easily on the splitter, smells bad like Willow.
The bark reminds me of pineapple skin.................454
Sawsandwood002.jpg

Sawsandwood001.jpg

Sawsandwood003.jpg

Sawsandwood004.jpg

Bark sure looks like aspen/poplar to me. Not tulip poplar, but aspen, I guess.

Was the tree dead before it was cut down? It looks like it might have a bit of rot and/or spalting starting in it.

I pick the wood up at the dump so I don't know if it was dead or not.
There wasn't any rot in the 8' trunk I cut up.
I'm guessing it was alive by the amount of moisture in the wood..........454

Not sure what it is but I have had some in the past and u can smell the stinky stuff 20 yards away.

I don't know but as stihlsaw says that one pic shows some really nice grain.

Can magnolia get that big? Only magnolias that I see are the 8" diam yard trees.

Bark sure looks like aspen/poplar to me. Not tulip poplar, but aspen, I guess.

Was the tree dead before it was cut down? It looks like it might have a bit of rot and/or spalting starting in it.

That was my thought, too.

Question: was there a thin stringy layer between the bark and the sapwood? The poplar I handle has this.

And the grain is consistent, as well as the bark.

In addition, as noted earlier, poplar has a rather - eh - distinctive fragrance.

Last edited:
My guess also is Poplar smooth bark and kind of stinky. Cut it, split it, let it dry, and burn it! Free wood is good wood. :clap:

I've got a tulip poplar in my front yard and a whole yard full of Aspen (popple) in my backyard and that really doesn't look like either one. Not sure what it is, but just doesn't look like either one of those to me.

Something chewed the bark off those Mulberry logs. Something like the floor of an expanded metal trailer floor. The log on the left side in the second picture has some bark intact that is visible on the underside. The staining or what looks like spault in the ends is moisture running out. The sapwood probably had sticky white sap running out of the other end. It does have some nice grain in it. Beautiful coloring in the wood. When it's cured it'll makes great firewood now.

Last edited:
I've stayed out of this one so far, but I think that bark is the way God put it on the tree.I did a search for 'Grey Poplar' and the bark looks just the same as the pics, but the lumber is described(like most poplar) as light grey.I think it looks like Mulberry grain and color, too. Someone here must be an arborist in New Jersey who could identify this populus toohardwoodus

what are doing up at 1:39, Ks?

Not sleeping for one, trying to get sleepy enough to go back to sleep for another.

I held back for quite a while because of the appearance of the bark. Then saw the underside of the round mentioned in Pic #2.

Like I have said before, I don't mind being wrong. It's no big thing. If I'm not sure I will say it to begin with. When I am certain, it will take some convincing to change my mind but I'm open to suggestions.

Back