Another, whats this wood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go solely on the bark, it does look like an Aspen.But the wood is too dark, and I'll bet a lot harder than Aspen.

Sorry about the sleep,Ks; 3:00 a.m is my witching hour.My friend was down in Ark City yesterday.He said he saw an ad in the paper for firewood selling at $35/rick ?!? Time to sell the saws, maybe?

Sleep ? Eh, don't worry about it. I'm an insomniac occasionally and this passes time. It beats hanging out in a bar till close. Though I don't know if it is any cheaper .

Maybe I see something that isn't there about it looking like it has been mechanically removed by abrasion. :dunno: I'm just looking at a picture of it and not holding it in my hand looking at it. A few more pictures of it with the bark intact would be nice . A closer look at the transition of the heartwood to the white sapwood wouldn't hurt either.

The twig in pictire #1 might not be from that tree but it looks the same as the tips and buds on the Mulberry around here this time of year.

It would look more like Aspen bark if the diamonds were going in the right direction. And didnt have bits of it missing down to the cambium layer.

I think the final decision/ID'ing is up to the OP. He has the wood and can look up what we guess it might be.

:cheers:

I think the final decision/ID'ing is up to the OP. He has the wood and can look up what we guess it might be.
Yeah, where is he.My sole experience with Mulberry is the chunk I got from you, so I'll defer to you on this even though I think it is a stretch.Maybe a crossbreed...

I talked with a tree service owner/certified arborist today. I described the wood (bark and smell) to him and the first thing out of his mouth was Hackberry. Aspen looks very close too, so who knows for sure:confused:.
The smell is probably the key to the identity of the wood.
I never knowingly cut either and I haven't found pics of log ends or splits to compare..................454
EDIT: I just checked my original pics and compared to these it really looks like Aspen.

Some good info about wood identifying can be found HERE.

Here's a pic I found at about dot com.
twig_bark_hackbark.jpg

This is a pic of Aspen bark.
000002997791.jpg

Origional pic of the wood.
Sawsandwood001.jpg

Last edited:
looks way too dark for yellow poplar (which is what we call tulip tree). the last pic looks like walnut. hard to tell from a pic though.

I dont think it is a tulip poplar . I have sawed some mulberry and it looked different too, so I wouldnt think mulberry. Sycamore, nope. The hackberry I have seen was white wood.

Never seen an aspen so dont know if that could be it.
Magnolia would be my guess ,I have seen some big ones around here.

I talked to a co-worker today who tried to pick up another piece of this same wood, he called it POPLAR. He didn't have a saw so he couldn't get it. It stinks when you cut it, thats all I know.:greenchainsaw: ......454

It's poplar, we call it Popple up here, we have a ton of it, it goes for pulp wood to Louisiana Pacific. It's nothing special, yes it will burn ok if seasoned but not very hot coals and leaves a lot of ash. Like I said free is free. Most people up here won't burn it, they leave it rot on the ground and look for hard wood. That piece in the picture looks about as big as it gets before it starts rotting in the middle.

Coldfront you can put an end to this thread by going out and getting a freshly cut Popple log and splitting it.I have used Popple/Poplar/Aspen for lumber and it is very light colored/white wood with dark knots.The grain is very faint.The O.P's picture of the split piece looks dark with pronounced grain.I agree the bark looks like Poplar, but hard to believe that wood would lighten up that much when dry.I have to admit that I've never been so hard up that I would bother splitting the stuff...always something better nearby.

The split wood color sure looks like mulberry.

here is a picture of the bark of a red mulberry:
moru3104.jpg

As the tree ages it develops bigger rougher ridges in the bark (kind of like us).

bark.jpg

It's poplar, we call it Popple up here, we have a ton of it, it goes for pulp wood to Louisiana Pacific. It's nothing special, yes it will burn ok if seasoned but not very hot coals and leaves a lot of ash. Like I said free is free. Most people up here won't burn it, they leave it rot on the ground and look for hard wood. That piece in the picture looks about as big as it gets before it starts rotting in the middle.

That's it, the ubiquitous Popple, aka Aspen, poplar, cottonwood etc..It is crap but I'll burn some now and then in the spring and fall. After it seasons, it's light weight and burns up fast. I usually just mix it in with better wood. Normally I wouldn't ever cut any for firewood but my younger Bro just built a cabin on the coast here and there was loads of it I cut for the cabin space and view. I used it rather than let it sit there and rot.

That's it, the ubiquitous Popple, aka Aspen, poplar, cottonwood etc..It is crap but I'll burn some now and then in the spring and fall. After it seasons, it's light weight and burns up fast. I usually just mix it in with better wood. Normally I wouldn't ever cut any for firewood but my younger Bro just built a cabin on the coast here and there was loads of it I cut for the cabin space and view. I used it rather than let it sit there and rot.

AKA "northern balsawood."

And you need to act fast on it as it rots real quick if not split in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back