another wood ID! sorry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have/had some buckthorn on my property that size. If I recall, the small branches still have the thorns even though the trunk is larger like that.

Buckthorn and cherry are so similar it is hard to tell sometimes.

The pictures look like buckthorn as cherry has much redder small branches. Usually the dead give-away on buckthorn is some large blunt thorns on the smaller branches.

Yupp. Ive seen some nasty honey locust but have never had the pleasure of cutting one up. Most of the ones I get are modified thornless variety.
As for Buckthorn, I could probably heat my house for 2-3 years exclusively with buckthorn from my 25acres. It's a pain to process but dries quickly, leaves great coals, and smells similar to cherry while burning.

Yupp. Ive seen some nasty honey locust but have never had the pleasure of cutting one up. Most of the ones I get are modified thornless variety.
As for Buckthorn, I could probably heat my house for 2-3 years exclusively with buckthorn from my 25acres. It's a pain to process but dries quickly, leaves great coals, and smells similar to cherry while burning.
Diamond Willow smells much like Cherry when it borns too. Does Buckthorn burn with a green flame? If so it's due to it's copper content like Cherry does.

I havent noticed a green flame, but ill keep an eye on my next load of it. I will say that it's rough on chains and leaves a fair amount of ash after a stove load of it.
I thought I could eradicate it here, but it seems impossible. Im located in the Finger Lakes of NY and it's all over this area.

sweet birch Betulaceae Betula lenta

Leaf:Alternate, simple, pinnately-veined, ovate, with an acute tip and cordate base, singly or irregularly doubly, sharply serrate margins, 2 to 4 inches long, petiole is stout and pubescent, dark shiny green above, paler below.
Flower:Species is monoecious; preformed, green male catkins near the end of the twig, 3/4 to 1 inch long; females are upright, 1/2 to 3/4 inch long, green tinged in red, appear or elongate (males) in mid-spring.
Fruit:Cone-like aggregate, brown, 1 to 1 1/2 inches long, scales hairless or nearly so, containing very small 2-winged nutlets, ripen and break apart in late summer and fall.
Twig:Twigs are slender, reddish brown and lenticellate with a wintergreen smell when cut. On older trees, spur shoots are apparent. Terminal buds are absent, lateral buds two toned, green and brown.
Bark:Reddish brown to black on young trees, later gray to nearly black; eventually breaking up into large, thin, irregular, scaly plates.
Form:A medium sized tree with a single straight trunk reaching up to 60 feet tall.
leaf1.jpg
flower1.jpg
fruit1.jpg
twig1.jpg
bark1.jpg
form1.jpg
map.jpg

I was out in the woods today and looked at buckthorn compared to cherry. Your bark is an exact match to my cherries, but the branches still look a little different. I think your tree is cherry.
CherryCherry tree bark.JPG
Buckthorn branch strippedbuckthorn bark stripped.JPG

I was out in the woods today and looked at buckthorn compared to cherry. Your bark is an exact match to my cherries, but the branches still look a little different. I think your tree is cherry.
CherryView attachment 469456
Buckthorn branch strippedView attachment 469465
That looks like an exact match to your Cherry. I had no idea they were Cherry. I looked around and found a few more. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Dead give away on cherry. The concave sheadding of the bark on an old cherry. Not the best of firewood btu wise. But for cocking or making usefull things like furniture it is a great tree. Beatiful stuff!

Motorsen

Latest posts

Back