Another wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one or two loads of box elder in the pile this year I got paid to haul it so I split it and figured why not it'll burn right? yea it burned ok but produced no heat, from now on I'm just taking it to the tub grinder guys to make mulch.

I vow to never again split and stack box elder for personal use!

I consider it just as good as maple for a mixer wood, especially when it was easy and convenient to get to.

In my experience the smoke has a rough smell, but that's not a huge deal.

subhunter,

Your most welcome.
And nothing much more fun that getting firewood and thinking about a no bill heating season.
Then again we all probably spend twice our fuel bill in gizmos to get that firewood. :)

Last edited:
no tree to big,

I burnt about 3/4 of a cord this winter myself.
It's ok heat but lots of adding wood to keep it that way.
Perfect year to burn up the less that perfect firewood.

Trouble with my stack of it was the 150 days of rain in 125 days didn't help it cure.
So semi mouldy box elder as if one smell wasn't enough.

Last edited:
no tree to big,

I burnt about 3/4 of a cord this winter myself.
It's ok heat but lots of adding wood to keep it that way.
Perfect year to burn up the less that perfect firewood.

Trouble with my stack of it was the 150 days of rain in 125 days didn't help it cure.
So semi mouldy box elder as if one smell wasn't enough.

That's why you build a barn to dry it in!!! Bring on the rain!!!
:hell_boy:

Hedgerow,

It lived in an open air barn right from the day i split and stacked it.
Trouble was a long string of rain, fog, drizzle and little wind.
Everything else in the barn that was a little dry endured the weather but the elder was not happy.
Just a couple weeks and it took on the mouldy smell, it dried after that but the smell never departed.

It burnt the same but was not nice to handle or keep in the house. LOL

Have you split any of this yet? I was gona say pecan. The moss and darker core is what makes me think its pecan. If its stringy when split I think its pecan.

Pecan in TN ? I thought Pecan was a West Coast wood. I know it taint a PA wood. :msp_smile:

I got most all of it split

Its all over Ga. Don't see why it wouldn't be in TN.

It was real easy to split,smooth except the heart was a bit stringy. I mixed it in with some seasoned hickory,ash and some maple.

Yes there are pecan trees in TN. Seen the electric CO take a huge one around a year ago.

"Georgia is usually the biggest producer of pecans in the US, so not sure where you got that from."

Reckon from seeing all the West Coast fellas talking about their Pecan firewood, I mad an errant assumption. The way the winters have been here, maybe we should try to start growing some in SW PA. ;)

Latest posts

Back