Another "Would you make this trade" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
Local tree guy needs a good 026. He wants to swap out MY keeper 026 (kinda mutt saw.) It is an older straight 026 that I put a bunch of pro parts on. Kept the flat top cover because I like it, but PRO handle and airbox/filter, etc. Also have a pile of 1127 stuff here. So here is the deal. All saws are in proper order. I have just been through the 066 for him. I get a decent looking late model poly 066 for my 026 + an MS-310. I don't need any of them, but that 066 sure is fun. Would you do the trade :confused:

Bear in mind that I can usually get nearly $300 for an MS-310, especially this time of year.

Sounds like about $450-500 for a used 066... right around the going rate if it's in excellent shape, I'd think...?

I would agree. What is the overall condition of the 066? What kind of money do you have in the 026 and 310?

The 066 is an ex-government saw. It is the latest style curve top, just before the MS-660. I do not know what (Mahle/Stihl) cylinder is on it. The guy bought it at an auction on the cheap. The carb (and fuel tank) had plenty of water in them. I got it all sorted out for him. The plastic is decent on it, and it has not been run much. They did engrave ID numbers on it, but they're on the top cover only, which I will replace. I know this saw 100%, as I have been paid to check it over for him. I have about 25 minutes trigger time on it, and it runs well for a stock 1122 saw.

I have little into the 310. Actually, it is not even together yet. It will be built up from the PILES of 1127 parts I have here. The engine is solid, and pulled from a tree-strike victim. I should probably be building it right now instead of fooling around on the interwebs....
The 026 I put together to keep for myself, and actually probably have $150 into it total. Right now, it is the only 026 I have. Lucky me, I do have a 350 Husky and a ton of other little saws. I actually grab the 023L when I have some little stuff to cut. So I will have to sacrifice my only 026 (which I do not use much) for a solid 066.....

Scott, my best so far is $285 for a bone stock 290. It did look very good, and it was sold at the right time of year. I take good pics, and write very descriptive ads. Nice looking Stihl bars really seem to get it done when selling on CL. No matter how worn it is, the bar MUST be on with the lettering right-side up. Buyers are generally uninformed on CL, and they pass right over if the bar is on "upside down."

Saw Dr. PM me plz if you would like to sell the top cover. I have an 066 myself and the plastics are pretty rough. I actually would like the af cover as well. Lemme know what u would want for them. Thx.

As for the trade, I think you would be well advised to do it. Around here 290/310/390s dont go for much above 200-275 if they are really clean. I dont blame anybody either as a new one with warranty is only 375 or so. Heck tons of people buy em dismantle em and sell off the parts for a profit on ebay. If you dont need theh 066 there are lots of guys from down under that would pay good US dollars for a well ported 066 since they are around 2000 bux new down there. You could easily end up making a couple hundred bucks and help a member out in the process. Then you can buy whatever new saw you want.

Saw Dr. PM me plz if you would like to sell the top cover. I have an 066 myself and the plastics are pretty rough. I actually would like the af cover as well. Lemme know what u would want for them. Thx.

As for the trade, I think you would be well advised to do it. Around here 290/310/390s dont go for much above 200-275 if they are really clean. I dont blame anybody either as a new one with warranty is only 375 or so. Heck tons of people buy em dismantle em and sell off the parts for a profit on ebay. If you dont need theh 066 there are lots of guys from down under that would pay good US dollars for a well ported 066 since they are around 2000 bux new down there. You could easily end up making a couple hundred bucks and help a member out in the process. Then you can buy whatever new saw you want.

I'll set the cover aside for you. The one on my 660 is getting replaced also, as it is the only "old" cover on that saw. The 660 was missing the filter lid when I got it, but I could stand to replace the one on the 066 too so you're in luck. As far as selling to someone in OZ, probably not. My shop is a one-way street for pretty much anything over 65cc.

PULL the TRIGGER

Doc quit trying to convince us just dooo it,pull the trigger,light the fuse,kick the cat !!!
DO THE DEED Have fun Ken

Doc quit trying to convince us just dooo it,pull the trigger,light the fuse,kick the cat !!!
DO THE DEED Have fun Ken

No convincing needed. I had already set up the deal when I started the thread. Just seeing if others would have done the same. I ran the 026 today. That is a nice little saw. Looks like my "parts" MS260 is going to get put back together. Anyone have a nice spare flippy cap fuel thank?

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

310 is together and a good runner. I should probably throw him a bone and muffler mod it. 026 had not been run in 6 months. The idle seems a little weak. Hopefully it will perk up with a little fuel on the carb diaphragms. If not, I'll make it right. Deal to go down on Friday. I'll post 066 pics then.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

I'll set the cover aside for you. The one on my 660 is getting replaced also, as it is the only "old" cover on that saw. The 660 was missing the filter lid when I got it, but I could stand to replace the one on the 066 too so you're in luck. As far as selling to someone in OZ, probably not. My shop is a one-way street for pretty much anything over 65cc.

Wow thanks! Let me know what I owe ya for shipping atleast and Ill p--pal you the money. I got my saw from a local guy having a saw shop...long story but I kinda got the short end of the stick on it. Topend replaced, bottom end replaced, still have those ugly plastics, a leaky fuel cap,etc. But i do have a real pretty sticker on it from TN. Randy sure helped me get it running right so it will last. Much more than I can say for the guy who "just rebuilt" it for me.:bang::msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back