Anti-firewood Snob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austin i get those same comments.. When the guy next door was building he saw my wood pile.. Came over and chatted for a while.. He changed from a gas firplace to a wood stove in his plans..

That's a good deed right there.

And the "pee rule" is dead on. Having your own woodlot, with your house dead in the middle, rocks.

Last edited:
my best friend, 4th generation running the family dairy farm, is under constant assault from the flatlanders that bought McMansions in the development that borders his farm.

Sympathy for your friend.

Gotta wonder where your flatlanders come from. Out flatlanders have powder blue license plates, have a thing for nutmeg, wi####lly recall the Whalers, and wear those collared shirts with the teensey embroidered alligator.

I'm pushing 20 cords neatly stacked along the rear of my property. Several of my neighbors/friends/relatives have commented about how nice it looks and how it reminds them of simpler times. The stacks hide a chainlink fence and the quarry beind it.

I do have one neighbor who we used to be on good terms with. Last spring they somehow decided that since I have so much wood (20 cords must seem like a lifetime supply to them) that they should have free access to
wasting my wood in their firepit....(without asking) needless to say this didn't go over well with me and things escalated to the point that I built a heck of a fence between us and them and we no longer are on good terms. Good riddance I say....

Ah, the joys of living in town with neighbors.....................Makes me glad I live out in the sticks!

Once I called them out on the missing wood they all of a sudden has all kinds of problems with things I was doing related to the firewood- the light I put up to light up the stacking area, the city alley I use to get the wood back there (runs behind their property)... they actually tried to block me from using a city alley claiming it was their private property- chained it off and put up a private property sign.. It's all been resolved to my satisfaction but I'm sure they're not happy with the way things turned out.

Ah the joys of living in town with neighbors....................makes me glad I live out in the sticks!

We live 500 ft off the road and nearest neighbor is about 1000. I never get comments on my owb but I have one (McMansion sub div.) who calls the law on my peacocks and donkeys for making to much noise and it bothers them. The cop is a friend of mine and explained they live in an aggi district so that is life. Rest of my neighbors are great.

Only thing I keep hearing is "why do you have so much... Are you really going to use all that..." LOL
Guess I have a wood hording issue in thier opinion:hypnotized:

That right there is funny.

why are you guys laughing at me!?!?! lol..

BTW I took more wood out there, she came out to the truck and DID invite me inside to see her fire... i probably would of went inside except i really was busy. Hopefully she needs even more wood, and she likes MY wood LMAO!

Sympathy for your friend.

Gotta wonder where your flatlanders come from. Out flatlanders have powder blue license plates, have a thing for nutmeg, wi####lly recall the Whalers, and wear those collared shirts with the teensey embroidered alligator.

We export

There are 2 CTs. Windham county in NE CT, considered to be the home of the great unwashed white trash rednecks that still speak with a Yankee accent, (with the exception of the hoity-toity in Pomfret), and the rest of the state.

Take Care

Dope slap time for those kinds.

Solution ?
The Pee Rule: Live where you can pi$$ in all cardinal directions without disturbing anyone. Realtors understand this.
Buy your own woodlot, build a home on it, live, cut, burn.

Too many of the Look-For-Something-to-Whine-About around. Nothing to do, no life, self absorbed, righteous, ignorant, weak. I am not opinionated. I am not opinionated. I am not opinionated. I am......................................:quiet:

The Pee Rule. I like it, but it doesn't solve everything.

I heat with wood. Rarely, I throw a piece in that should have been saved for next year but, generally, I burn as clean as I can. One smoky morning a neighbor came over complaining about the smoke I was producing. One look at the chinmey, all heat waves and NO smoke, says it ain't me. I say let's go for a quick ride.

1200' down the road is another neighbor, who cuts wood for a living, with an OWB. I say, "There's your smoke." Damn boiler was belching out some thick clouds of nasty, dark smoke. Was it wet fuel, a new fire, railroad ties? I don't know.

My neighbor apologizes for accusing me and we go home.

Right now CT is looking at banning OWBs. We all know they can burn clean.

So, why do we want to be our own worst enemies?

N.B. Pee Rule addendum:
The distance required must be specified to be the distance that you can do anything -- sight, sound, odor, or wind -- that affects NO ONE. Rural.
And this WILL solve "everything" .

Note that the "Pee" portion of the rule is only sight (e.g. the cop stopped me for urinating beside the road. True case. ):dog:

Please add to your contracts.

Last edited:
N.B. Pee Rule addendum:
The distance required must be specified to be the distance that you can do anything -- sight, sound, odor, or wind -- that affects NO ONE. Rural.
And this WILL solve "everything" .

Note that the "Pee" portion of the rule is only sight (e.g. the cop stopped me for urinating beside the road. True case. ):dog:

Please add to your contracts.

OK. I'll adopt the Pee Rule Addendum....

...when I have a crap load more cash!

(with the exception of the hoity-toity in Pomfret)

Well, and recently infested Woodstock.

Does make for interesting entertainment to read the newspapers, blogs, and WINY as the whining liberals collide head on with the old line Yankee "Manure Mafia" republicans.

I never in my life thought I would see a group of people go apoplectic over using crushed asphalt on a dirt road -- complaining it was just cheap, recycled material instead of good quality gravel :eyeroll:

Although after the lady on WINY last year who was afraid a manure digester could cause an explosion like the one at the Middletown electric plant last year, I should really expand my definition of just how paranoid and stupid educated people can be.

you could always just burn some cow patties in the stove.... see how they like the smell of that..it puts out some decent heat...:cheers:

Some People are Prudes:

You know, some people just aren't happy with others' success or happiness.
It's a low self-esteem problem for them. Jealous is all.
Best thing is to smile at her and say nothing, just keep the chainsaw in your hands and when she goes to speak, rev it up some more and smile.
He,he....

you could always just burn some cow patties in the stove.... see how they like the smell of that..it puts out some decent heat...:cheers:

dude, that ain't no bull####! ... well its LOTS of bull#### ;) but anyways... cow pies, cow chips w/e you wanna call them.... yeah .. heat baby! and they burn for a week!

I'm pushing 20 cords neatly stacked along the rear of my property. Several of my neighbors/friends/relatives have commented about how nice it looks and how it reminds them of simpler times. The stacks hide a chainlink fence and the quarry beind it.

I do have one neighbor who we used to be on good terms with. Last spring they somehow decided that since I have so much wood (20 cords must seem like a lifetime supply to them) that they should have free access to
wasting my wood in their firepit....(without asking) needless to say this didn't go over well with me and things escalated to the point that I built a heck of a fence between us and them and we no longer are on good terms. Good riddance I say....

Once I called them out on the missing wood they all of a sudden has all kinds of problems with things I was doing related to the firewood- the light I put up to light up the stacking area, the city alley I use to get the wood back there (runs behind their property)... they actually tried to block me from using a city alley claiming it was their private property- chained it off and put up a private property sign.. It's all been resolved to my satisfaction but I'm sure they're not happy with the way things turned out.

tooooo bad for them!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn good advice

Some people with the "Better than You Attitude", like to prove how stupid they really are by sticking their nose into some poor hardworking guy's business. I'm blessed with wonderful neighbors, but my best friend, 4th generation running the family dairy farm, is under constant assault from the flatlanders that bought McMansions in the development that borders his farm. If his sons didn't love farming so much, wanting to continue the family business, I'm certain he would have applied for a junkyard permit by now just to drive them crazy.

Take Care

maybe he should,anyway!!!!!:clapn::clapn::clapn::clapn:

The Pee Rule. I like it, but it doesn't solve everything.

I heat with wood. Rarely, I throw a piece in that should have been saved for next year but, generally, I burn as clean as I can. One smoky morning a neighbor came over complaining about the smoke I was producing. One look at the chinmey, all heat waves and NO smoke, says it ain't me. I say let's go for a quick ride.

1200' down the road is another neighbor, who cuts wood for a living, with an OWB. I say, "There's your smoke." Damn boiler was belching out some thick clouds of nasty, dark smoke. Was it wet fuel, a new fire, railroad ties? I don't know.

My neighbor apologizes for accusing me and we go home.

Right now CT is looking at banning OWBs. We all know they can burn clean.

So, why do we want to be our own worst enemies?

know why you defended youself to her--but would have approached that a mite diff,,and would have found out what the owb clown was burning--or it could end up you have a ban on you also--as people like her--will use a shotgun approach--shed nail all of you in one fell swoop--

OK. I'll adopt the Pee Rule Addendum....

...when I have a crap load more cash!

Addendum addendum: rural land "in the sticks" costs a fraction of any urban/suburban real estate. Search.

Like us, career, assignments out of country pushed a suburban lifestyle until early "retirement". Yes, you have to bust your a$$ , but it's been worth the sweat.

Advice ? Do it sooner.......before you can't come down for breakfast. (Bill is in the mail.)

JMNSHO

In the West, beware of Cheap Land. On our side, it probably floods, has perk test problems, is on ground prone to landslides, or some other fault. Our state, for some reason has the idea that we have a water shortage and is rumored to be considering a moratorium on domestic water well drilling. Apparently those pesky Callyfornians are importing their ideas here too.

On the Eastside of the mountains, water can be scarce or the ground might be too rocky for a septic tank.

You may be lured to the idea of "Land bordering the National Forest" and then upset when you wake up to the sound of trees being felled. Or it is open range and YOU are responsible to keep somebody else's cows out of your garden.

Access? Some folks bought the Land Bordering The National Forest thinking that the taxpayers would pay for plowing the road to their house. It was plowed when logging was taking place in the area. But only then. Or the same road is in horrible shape. Nope, it isn't maintained very well.

Just a few of the caveats to watch out for. The good land is taken or will cost you.
That's how it is here. Don't know about elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back