Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know a rattle can colour that is close to Remington Orange/Red. I guess I could go white on the air filter cover and the recoil. I've seen that combination.

On the SL-4, 11 and 55 I use Chevrolet engine orange and satin black.

On PL-4, 5 & 55 I use IH red and IH off white.

Latest acquisition...... normally to try to get it to run.
842e6543c89f79b66850805ca912b695.jpg
c26a15dd84f224b11f3a211412faefae.jpg
2c7fbc7453a8c077404416d2744b34bd.jpg
4c36d76b3f531945c3c4b7fc705a5757.jpg
21a823e5ee99dddde166414bf0a9cad3.jpg
4791b14034b325a06feab68056a72609.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Hi all,

looking for some help with a Tillotson HL carburetor kit.

tillotson HL11A. It appears that this has a different gasket in it then I have seen typically.

***Edit**
Should probably add that I’m trying to find a replacement rebuild kit. Does anyone recognize this kit? What is the appropriate Tillotson rebuild kit?

99523D2C-53E0-4148-B367-FFBF8CF36AF4.pngFE49D1CA-32C0-47CC-9A00-2875708720B2.jpeg9641F9BF-D307-4314-8FE3-B2A8B5D098E2.jpeg

My grandfathers 020AV. Sat in dads shed for 25+ years. Have the manual and original scabbard with leather ties. It’s finicky but it runs. Had a local small engine shop rebuild the carb and replace vibration isolation as well as some miscellaneous other stuff. I enjoy playing with it!

Attachments

• 94034BC3-BC9C-4AEB-BC5D-7B0C4EB305EA.jpeg
    94034BC3-BC9C-4AEB-BC5D-7B0C4EB305EA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 15DAF4D6-8628-47FE-9394-67E6DA04E948.jpeg
    15DAF4D6-8628-47FE-9394-67E6DA04E948.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 66066FFC-D323-4125-9D41-3DE2372CDDF3.jpeg
    66066FFC-D323-4125-9D41-3DE2372CDDF3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 1ABF23E7-67F9-4A05-A64A-62AC8CD8818B.jpeg
    1ABF23E7-67F9-4A05-A64A-62AC8CD8818B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
The vintage chainsaw marketplace is completely new to me. Came across an older Stihl at a yard sale and purchased in a package deal of 4 non running saws was told they all functioned perfectly prior to not being used or started in a decade or better. Had no idea of what I actually purchased till I got closer to civilization and phone service and was in absolute shock when I started reading what little information on a Stihl 041g I could find as solid information about the saw and how it's function are supposed to work are as rare as the saw or any NOS parts like a carb gasket kit. So took it mostly apart (didn't open motor internals) to clean and inspect everything before moving forward. My goal is to sell it as I have no interest in it but should I sell as is non running and let someone else chose the level of restoration? Leave pretty rough original paint alone? Repaint and do that part of restoration and sell as partially restored non runner? Get it running with crap original paint or sell after complete cosmetic and mechanical restoration? Have been trying to put a realistic price on it as is but it's been difficult as I am not familiar with the vintage saw market and the only prices I've seen on the ones that have sold are all pre covid but now all things mechanical and or motorized are regularly selling for 25-50% more than they were a year ago so does that increase in price transfer into vintage chainsaws as it has with everything else? The saw is complete with no broken ( I've learned exhaust surround is commonly broken or missing) or missing parts that I am aware of not sure if it has spark however will have a definitive answer on that in near future. Had originally thought $500 would buy it but after much thought and the amount of interest I've had in it as well as there not being any others currently for sale in any condition on top of high prices on everything I'm leaning more towards $800 as is non running complete with 28in Oregon bar wearing a discontinued part #. Haven't had time to fully look into the bar but I think that also may have a decent value also. So open for offers on my Stihl 041g

Attachments

• 20210625_120851.jpg
    20210625_120851.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210625_105959.jpg
    20210625_105959.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210625_110007.jpg
    20210625_110007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210625_120754.jpg
    20210625_120754.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210625_120826.jpg
    20210625_120826.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 15
Spark would be the first question about this saw with just about anyone who knows these saws.
800 is serious coin for her though so potential buyers who have any sense are gonna ask for piston and cylinder pictures.
You could possibly get lucky and buyer would treat it as sight unseen, without a compression reading or actually running thats what it is in my mind , there's plenty of beautiful saws with straight gassed motors, or broken gear boxes.
Just my opinion ,so take it for what it is.

Spark would be the first question about this saw with just about anyone who knows these saws.
800 is serious coin for her though so potential buyers who have any sense are gonna ask for piston and cylinder pictures.
You could possibly get lucky and buyer would treat it as sight unseen, without a compression reading or actually running thats what it is in my mind , there's plenty of beautiful saws with straight gassed motors, or broken gear boxes.
Just my opinion ,so take it for what it is.
Yeah everything you just said I kinda assumed as a given and will have no issue with discussing or photographing or providing a video of whatever a serious buyer wants to be fully comfortable with purchase. I don't know saws but am extremely knowledgeable on small engine and equipment repair service. I understand 800 is semi unreasonable as it sits but I know I can't find another one for sale in any condition currently and everything else quads cars boats bikes trikes tractors and trucks is currently selling for what I believe to be absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable prices I could not have ever imagined I would see in my life. I figured got nothing to lose by posting worse case is no one will buy it and I'll restore it or someday in the not too distant future inflation is not only gonna catch my current price it's gonna mow it down lije a run away freight train

Yeah everything you just said I kinda assumed as a given and will have no issue with discussing or photographing or providing a video of whatever a serious buyer wants to be fully comfortable with purchase. I don't know saws but am extremely knowledgeable on small engine and equipment repair service. I understand 800 is semi unreasonable as it sits but I know I can't find another one for sale in any condition currently and everything else quads cars boats bikes trikes tractors and trucks is currently selling for what I believe to be absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable prices I could not have ever imagined I would see in my life. I figured got nothing to lose by posting worse case is no one will buy it and I'll restore it or someday in the not too distant future inflation is not only gonna catch my current price it's gonna mow it down lije a run away freight train
Thats a solid plan to start high, and it might work out for you. Just because you can't find another one doesn't mean its desirable to the tune of 8 bills though.
I think restoring it would definitely be a worth while endeavour for you and the worst that can happen is you end up with a pretty cool old saw!
I have an XL-15 gear drive in a box right now and I doubt many buyers could find one or have laid eyes on one , unfortunately larger CC saws usually demand more cash and history plays a part in it also, just like trucks and other equipment that is as you agree is demanding a high price these days. No body wants a truck driven by a high school boy or a saw used for milling, when the cost goes up so does the pedigree.

You need to take into consideration that your market is limited even though it's a fairly rare saw in what appears to be very good condition. The additional particulars will go a long way in getting the value better established. That said, the people looking for that saw already have feelers out and will know about it instantly if you put it on ebay. You'll likely get your best price there even with the ebay cut. The early bidders would certainly set the tone. Your other obvious option is the CL, FB and forums route.., each with their own associated hassles.

Best of luck with it. Good lookin' example of that saw.

How old is antique? My Husqvarna 260 cd is 50 yo.

One cannot base it entirely on age.

Antique: Old, a novelty and, at best functions. Not practical to use for an extended period.

Vintage: Old but not ancient. Can be used just like it’s new counterparts with some disadvantage in weight and power.

My Remington Logmasters are antiques.

My Partner P70 and McCulloch PM 700 are vintage.

You need to take into consideration that your market is limited even though it's a fairly rare saw in what appears to be very good condition. The additional particulars will go a long way in getting the value better established. That said, the people looking for that saw already have feelers out and will know about it instantly if you put it on ebay. You'll likely get your best price there even with the ebay cut. The early bidders would certainly set the tone. Your other obvious option is the CL, FB and forums route.., each with their own associated hassles.

Best of luck with it. Good lookin' example of that saw.
I have sold the Stihl 041g to a forum member for a price we could both live with. I am certain after all ive learned in the last few months about the saws rarity and how desired it is among all chainsaw collectors not just a brand loyalty collector that I'll most likely never have the opportunity to own one again or even see one outside a prized private collection or a timber industry Museum. Chainsaws are not my passion and received much more satisfaction passing it on to someone who will give it the love it needs and bring it back to life and pass it's history on to others it went to a gear drive collector who wanted the 041g to cover another manufacturers gear drive top offering of that era that it is the only one I will ever own fand probably even see outside of a prized private collection or museum

Back