Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of signs, this one just popped up on the local CL for $700 bucks, measures 3' x 5'.

5L65F45H33Ma3F83Hec44e1e80120ba3d13a9.jpg

For anyone interested, here is the link:

Silver King Chain Saw Sign.

just got a pretty beat up montgomery ward saw that i'm thinking of painting, if i can get it to run. how do you handle the rough, pitted part of the case before you paint it?

Bead blast it very clean and then autobody fill will smooth out the pitting. Done this on several oldies I have restored and they look smoother than when they left the factory. I used an older type of body fill called white lightning cause I had several cans of it left over from the 70`s but any body filler will work.

Bead blast it very clean and then autobody fill will smooth out the pitting. Done this on several oldies I have restored and they look smoother than when they left the factory. I used an older type of body fill called white lightning cause I had several cans of it left over from the 70`s but any body filler will work.

thanks.

just got a pretty beat up montgomery ward saw that i'm thinking of painting, if i can get it to run. how do you handle the rough, pitted part of the case before you paint it?

The Titan 40 i bought just for the two man handles and hopefully a few small bits the saw had been laying outside under a tree and is pretty rotten
but the rear handles and throttle control plus i hope carb attachment pieces are all there just need to get me a helpers handle and i should have a complete saw

McBob.

For small areas I use a little JB weld. For big areas, I agree with PioneerGuy on auto filler. Now if it's the older sandcast models, I don't like to make it too smooth so it still looks like factory.

And This one should stop their heart. Donated to a museum near me and was owned by a man who worked for Titan when it was built.

Only produced for a short time due to defects in the design. This one was fired once but only shows oil film on one hole.

Was put in a basment in 53 and brought out last year.

Follow link to more pics. titan pictures by mrbigsaw - Photobucket

CIMG5887.jpg

DSCN0472.jpg

DSCN0478.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

Truely a unique saw i'd luv to own it ................ McBob.

Truely a unique saw i'd luv to own it ................ McBob.

this never run sportsman was also donated with the 100.

was busy taking pics of the 100 and only took one of the sporty.

I need to help the museum with a bar for the twin soon and will take some better pics of this one.

Next time your in the neighborhood I'll take you down to see them Bob. ;)

CIMG5880.jpg

HL Super XL auto/HL 600D/Pioneer 1074 HELP!!!!!!!

I just finished restoring my homelite super xl auto and my uncle just gave me his old pioneer 1074. They both run great but im looking for decal sets and maybe owner/parts breakdown manuals for both of them....

Super XL sn------400210088 (its the all red model)

Pioneer 1074 sn------2(printed)313033(stamped) yellow w/green air filter cover

I also (just yesterday) aquired an old homelite 600d...its pretty dirty but everything is there and works (recoil,oiler,throttle and throttle lock, choke, etc. You get the idea...it is red with a green recoil cover. The sn on that one is---------- A(printed) 1291863(stamped). I know its 82.1cc but was wondering if it was even worth restoring or if any of my saws are anything worth anything or if i just have common old saws. Eeither way i am just as happy to save them from the scrapyard....

I just want to point out that i just got into the old saws and want to learn as much as possible about them...i love the history and the look and just eveything about the oldies....im completely obsessed. So if you guys feel like responding just to point out something stupid that i said, then please just dont respond. Thanks, John

Very nice signs Cliff. They will look great when you get them set up amongst your fine collection.

Regards,

Chris.

Very nice Cliff it looks great real cool photo on it

Thanks...:msp_smile:

I just finished restoring my homelite super xl auto and my uncle just gave me his old pioneer 1074. They both run great but im looking for decal sets and maybe owner/parts breakdown manuals for both of them....

Super XL sn------400210088 (its the all red model)

Pioneer 1074 sn------2(printed)313033(stamped) yellow w/green air filter cover

I also (just yesterday) aquired an old homelite 600d...its pretty dirty but everything is there and works (recoil,oiler,throttle and throttle lock, choke, etc. You get the idea...it is red with a green recoil cover. The sn on that one is---------- A(printed) 1291863(stamped). I know its 82.1cc but was wondering if it was even worth restoring or if any of my saws are anything worth anything or if i just have common old saws. Eeither way i am just as happy to save them from the scrapyard....

I just want to point out that i just got into the old saws and want to learn as much as possible about them...i love the history and the look and just eveything about the oldies....im completely obsessed. So if you guys feel like responding just to point out something stupid that i said, then please just dont respond. Thanks, John

If you can post some pics of your Super XL. We all like pics.:D
Nothing wrong with restoring any of the older saws, If you like them.
82 cc is not a little saw. 600D is nice old Homelite. I have one.:msp_smile:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

1955 Champion Universal Chain Saw

1955 Champion Universal Chain Saw

A very rare saw indeed this one one of 3 known complete examples left and made wholely in Australia

160cc

champ104.jpg

champ2a.jpg

champ1a.jpg

McBob.

Back