Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad has one he did an overhaul on, very nice looking saw but painfully slow in real life cutting conditions. I have 3 quite nice 041 AV`s , one of them only had a cup of fuel run through in its entire life, stored in its original case and looking just as the day it was bought.

I posted this in the chainsaw forum and got some helpful responses. However I thought posting it in this stickie might provide more answers. lumberjack1940 and pioneerguy600 both thought the inside bar was used for bucking and outside bar was used for felling. If I understand this correctly you moved the bar back and forth depending on what you were doing? So the saw was intended to run only one bar at a time?

Could this double bar set up be used to notch logs for building a log home? Thats just an idea. Acres site doesnt provide any information on this saw other than basic. Acres shows that clinton made a 3A but the name tag shows 3A3/ Is that the way the marked them or is this saw different than a 3A.

If its meant to operate as suggested by AS members than all 3A clinton saws have two separate sprockets correct?

Sorry for all the questions, when I add an old saw to my collection I like to find out everything I can. Since I collect mostly McCullochs and Malls I have no idea about the Clintons. Just that you dont see a saw with 2 bars attached to it everyday. Thanks

So I found this on craiglist and for $60 I couldnt pass it up. You dont see a power head with two bars on it very often. Ive looked it over breifly since bringing it home. It definitely looks to be made to run 2 bars from the factory. By that I mean someone didnt modify it to work like this. Its missing one chain and the air filter so far. Compression feels really good so theres a good chance it will run and I can post a video.

Does anyone know have more knowledge about the clinton saw company? Was this an attachment? It does not look like it comes on and off. Acres only lists a Clinton 3A and 3A Bow but that's not to say they didnt make this.

Are parts for these clintons out there? Ebay or other memebers? Thanks guys hope you enjoy the pictures.

img_0728-jpg.391158
img_0727-jpg.391160
img_0729-jpg.391161
img_0731-jpg.391162
img_0726-jpg.391163

The comments about the bars being used for felling and bucking are correct. The outside position enabled close cutting to the ground (if and when required), whereas the other position was used for general felling and bucking work. The Danarm R8F machine also had this two bar position arrangement. The saws were designed to only run one bar at a time.

dang, this is one cool thread. So many makes/models I never heard of. Brewed another 8 cups coffee, gonna be here awhile ..

Back