Antique tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Bruce

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is really the best spot on the forum to post this but anyway here it goes. I have a 1951 Case VAC that I bought then got running a few months ago, and I was wondering if anyone else on the forum own's/uses antique tractors and if so what are they?

I've been running and fixing the same 82 year old 1940 9N for 40 years now. Still original 6V + ground electrics. Used the rotary cutter last week on 10 acres. Have lots of original Ferguson /Dearborn implements I use.

Also not antique but a 72 Ford 2000 gasser, live PTO and locking diffy.

Last two days was working on a relatives 1953 Ford NAA. It's sicker than we thought. Lost compression in #2 and 3. Pretty sure it's the head gasket.

Hilltown fair last week had a whole bunch, mostly IH

1 tractors.png

Restored a 1970 JD 214 Lawn & Garden Tractor from the frame up and currently have a late 60's JD 630 two lunger that is mechanically good, runs excellent just not painted. I would post pictures but can't get it to work from the "attach files" button.

I have a Ferguson TO-30 Tractor, same as the Ford 8n, or so I have been told.
It has Ford fender & was roll out some time in the fifties.

I bought this 1958 JD 420C a few months ago to skid logs through the brush. I added a small hydraulic winch after the first picture. Other than the seat, muffler and my add-ons, it is pretty much original. It has a 5-speed transmission with directional reverser.

1662597645442.png

40' stem in tow.
1662597779724.png

Ron

Those are great (and fun) little crawlers! The family that ran the sawmill I used to take logs to used one with forks to load the logs for sawing. I always wished I had one. They are about akin to hen's teeth. Oliver made a similar little crawler. A guy near here had 2 Olivers, but I think he sold both.

I bought this 1958 JD 420C a few months ago to skid logs through the brush. I added a small hydraulic winch after the first picture. Other than the seat, muffler and my add-ons, it is pretty much original. It has a 5-speed transmission with directional reverser.

View attachment 1015660

40' stem in tow.
View attachment 1015663

Ron

We had all kinds of relatively small, older tractors on the farm. Ford 9n, 900, IH A, H, 240, JD H, 420U, 2020, 2010, 1530, Case 530. Later JD5500N, and Massey 275. Had a nice IH1066 for a while, but it was too big for what the 1530 had been doing. It was replaced by the MF275. My dad had a caterpillar 22 with a homemade blade when I was young, but I only ran it a little. (no electric starter) Hand cranked the IH a and H's a lot, and the JD H a couple times.

Been skidding logs lately with the last IH H. It is a 1948. It goes in the 4th of July parade, and has been on 5 Great Iowa Tractor Rides. 2009-2017. I bought that one because H's are low maintenance, nearly anyone can learn to drive it in 5 min or less, fairly light, durable, and best of all, they are cheap and plentiful for the time being. It runs over small trees pretty easy. No live PTO, Live Hydraulics, and n 3pt. hitch. Great for pulling trailers/implements/logs and joy rides.

View attachment 1015660

40' stem in tow.
View attachment 1015663

Ron
My grandpa has a John Deere MC setup pretty similarly to that, just a little older. It's a cool little machine, but it got put out of a job by a Allis-Chalmers HD-4.

I would like to find. 2000 or 3000 gas. I have a 9N and a 9700. My son bought an 8000 open station and a 8600 with a cab but both are in tough shape.
Do you have any experience with the "Select-O-speed" transmission? I have a Ford 4000 (1962) and my grandpa has a 901 with it and I would recommend staying away from it. Though those 3000's are nice little tractors, I would just recemmond the 8 speed over the SOS.

Do you have any experience with the "Select-O-speed" transmission? I have a Ford 4000 (1962) and my grandpa has a 901 with it and I would recommend staying away from it. Though those 3000's are nice little tractors, I would just recemmond the 8 speed over the SOS.
I have ZERO experience with the selecto-speed, I thought the newer 2000/3000 tractors went away from it but heck I am wrong on a daily basis,

B7100 Kubota, 3 cylinder water cooled diesel. Since these pictures, added 125# Case VAC weights to the back.

Back