Antique tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a case “VA” made from 1942-1955
My grandparents had a bigger Case, I learned to drive as a child. Not sure year/model, we ran a cordwood saw off the belt drive.

I just got a 3pt Dearborn one. Needs wood for feed hamper, but bearings and arbor are fine.

1 22-44 saw pic.png

Does anyone know where I can get a thermostat for a 1951 Case VAC? I have tried Steiner and yesterdays tractor they don’t seem to have one.

4020 Diesel WF is my favorite of all time! Would love to have owned one myself but just couldn’t justify having that size tractor for haying. The 4020 just begs to have a 7 bottom plow behind it😁
What kind of ground are you plowing and how deep? There is no way a 4020 would ever pull 7 bottoms around here other than in a parade.

Case 311B-L with triple range trans.
My Dad got this tractor about in 1980 or '81 when we started logging on our 80. Just got new tires on it in late October this year. The original Firestones rotted away so bad I could see the tubes! In summer use a 5' brushhog to keep my shooting range clear. Pulled a maple that fell across the trail to my deer stand just before 3" of rain hit flooding out the trail. The old Case still runs great! Pic of me from 1984 sorting logs to be picked up. Still have the "uncle Buck" hat yet!IMG_20221101_144313030_HDR (1).jpgIMG_20221101_122859171_HDR.jpgIMG_20221103_154705878_HDR.jpgIMG.jpg

Farmall BN pulling tree. H ready for pulling the bigger tree.

BTW Just found this forum. These are on my family farm and have been in my maintenance for 40 years. Any questions about maintenance and keeping these alive, maybe I can help.

Attachments

• BNpull.jpg
    BNpull.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • H (2).jpg
    H (2).jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Good looking tractors! I spent lots of hours on an A cultivating tomatoes, and on an H doing field work, spraying, transplanting, hauling firewood, bush, manure and about anything else you can do on an H. Belt work on a threshing machine, cider press, and woods. Your H is very similar to mine Only differences I can see it that I have titan Tractor Ride rear tires, a clamp on the muffler, I have the cultivator mount cover in the front, and weights on the rears, and I don't have a mount for a rear light. Most I see have major differences.

Good looking tractors! I spent lots of hours on an A cultivating tomatoes, and on an H doing field work, spraying, transplanting, hauling firewood, bush, manure and about anything else you can do on an H. Belt work on a threshing machine, cider press, and woods. Your H is very similar to mine Only differences I can see it that I have titan Tractor Ride rear tires, a clamp on the muffler, I have the cultivator mount cover in the front, and weights on the rears, and I don't have a mount for a rear light. Most I see have major differences.

Who did you raise tomatoes for?

We sold them to Lomax Canning, Lomax, IL. They went in bushel crates, stacked on a flatbed truck. My dad did not believe in securing a load. There was a picture on he cover of the Ft. Madison paper one day of tomatoes all over the corner by the DuPont Plant entrance where my dad's cousin spilled the load going around the corner. I was driving the 47 chevy truck in the field to load before I could really reach the pedals.

I thought you might have sold to Heinz down here. We raised for them for 6 decades and my dad was head of tomato operations at the plant. I started there in 1991 as he retired and 1991 was the final year of taking in tomatoes. We used to raise pickles for them also but that ended years before. I still have the International AV high crop with the 1 row mounted cultivator

We knew a lot of the people on Muscatine Island the grew for Heinz in Muscatine, IA. Most also grew melons, and supplemental vegetables for their retail business. A few grew sweet potatoes. Most have been squeezed out now by growth of the town. Where was your Heinz plant?

Your A High Crop is a rare bird. I am sure you are glad to have it. I called the A my british sports car. Right hand drive, and left hand gear shift.

Our A was built in Feb 1943, and bought new by Howard Curtis in Montrose, IA. It came out with no starter or electrics, just a magneto. We had a 10 shoe one row cultivator on it, widened for the 50" tomato rows. Every time I killed it putting the cultivator in the ground, I had to get off and crank it. When I was 16, I finally got to go to a junkyard and buy the center casting/bellhousing, generator, battery box, and starter, and split it to put the starter in. That made it way nicer.

I always wanted to buy it from dad, but didn't get it done in time. I went home one time and it was gone. I had no idea he was going to sell it.

I am just across from Muscatine. The plant is still going strong but has not bought tomatoes since 1991. As for the Muscatine Island I know it well although do not get down there much now. The major crop down there were melons. When Heinz forced everyone to go to machine harvesting the tomatoes were grown on the high end black ground. I am headed to work in Muscatine now.

My brother swapped some work for this guy with the intent of using it to pull a mower, but until we source a water pump and a new camshaft for the injection pump it's not going anywhere. Without looking at the serial tag the best I can figure is it's an early 1953 Fordson Major Diesel. I say early due to the non-vertical exhaust (pre-53) and the intake pipe poking through the hood (post-53).
IMG_4291.jpegIMG_4292.jpeg

Back