Ants in the house!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MishMouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The wood I brought in over the weekend and stored in the wood bin in the basement was full of black ants. What is the best way to get rid of the ants?

Mish-Probabley spray with a insectacide-there are some biodegradable ones that arent as dangerous and keep the little ones away. In regards to the ants in logs, when I run into the ant colonies, I split the wood sorta small so that the ant colony will leave and find another place to live. Pile the wood away from the house and other wood. The cold weather seems to kill them when thay are exposed to the elements. Watch for the soldier ants, they like to bite, I hit a huge colony this Summer in a big oak- you could hold handfuls of black ants. We split the wood and left it piled up for a few weeks and the ants left.

Do you know someone with a chicken? They love bugs, and do a swell job cleaning around a processing area.

Here is the situation..
I have about 4 rows of cut around 2 years ago but not split wood.
So Saturday since it was nice outside, I figured I might as well fire up the new splitter and split some wood since my seasoned wood is starting to run very low. I split around 2 cart fulls and brought them in and placed them in the wood bin in my basement. Since the basement is where the stove is and it normally runs between 75-80, my original thought was if I do a mix of around 75% seasoned to 25% unseasoned it will give me a few extra weeks of burning. Then by the time I used up the seasoned wood the wood I had just split and stored in the basement would be usable due to the heat and the low humidity.

So this morning when I was loading the stove up for the day I placed a couple of the splits nearer to the stove to dry and I pulled the bark off of the splits, and then went upstairs to get ready for work. Before I left I went downstairs to make sure the stove was up to temp and ready for a 10 hour burn when I noticed a big pile of ants moving on the floor near one of the splits. I threw the split into the stove along with its bark but since it was only 1 split from a log. There are a bunch of black ants now in the wood bin amongst about 1/8 of a cord of wood.

Could I just use a bio-degradable ant spray on the pile? What I don't want to do is spray a harmful spray on it and release major toxins into the air when I burn it.

I had a wet bathroom floor one time that got full of carpenter ants, big pain in the butt. Orkin was the only way out, they were eating the house.

Bomb the basement perhaps with a smoke bomb designed for ants?

Bringing wood inside has gotten me several times, you are not alone.

For the first time in 50 years I experianced fleas in the house this summer. I sprayed a few times this summer a couple differant chemicals that continue to kill bugs months after spraying and I tell you I don't remember having such a bugless home, since. I stack wood in my porch and keep some inside my frontroom in a large basket and lean some up near the stove to finish drying it. Most of it is dead wood recently cut and you can't help but bring a few bugs in even though I try to leave any buggy looking wood out for a season or so before bringing it in. I always had bugs showing up from the wood regularly throughout the winter until this winter. I see them now and then now but I don't worry about hunting them down and killing them because they don't seem to survive a night. I don't remember the last time I saw a spider in the house and I always had them year round before. Last time I sprayed was probably around the first of Aug..
If I were you I would use a perimeter spray that continues to kill for extended periods. Spray around the wood supply and any obvious bug hideouts with some good stuff and the bugs you see should be dead or dead soon. Just don't go wild and spray your bed,kitchen table and stuff like that or you might be dead to :popcorn: . Follow instructions and the chemicles should be safe. Restaurants and public buildings use them often.

"tooth dust"

I had a wet bathroom floor one time that got full of carpenter ants, big pain in the butt. Orkin was the only way out, they were eating the house.

Bomb the basement perhaps with a smoke bomb designed for ants?

Bringing wood inside has gotten me several times, you are not alone.

I had carpenter ants a while back, and learned a bit about them. Unlike Termites that eat the wood, carpenter ants are little saws, so you'll see "tooth dust" at the base of a tree that has carpenter ants.

One way to avoid them is not having tree branches touching the roof, and not having water leaks which will draw the ants to the moisture.

Dan

Latest posts

Back