Any better/cheaper way to set up this chimney?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barton174

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I've got an old Buck wood burning insert to go into my fireplace, and am getting ready to buy the parts to do the retrofit into my 12x12 square chimney...

Looking at Northline Express... Any good?

8" x 15' duraflex 304 liner - $260
8" Duraflex SS connector - $14
8" Duraflex SS top plate - $18
Duraflex Profoil Insulation 29" by 25' - $195
Durafled Alufoil tape - $52

Stack (8") for Regular Buck (27000) - $138

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Also, is the flex liner even the way to do this, or is is better/cheaper to do flex for the first few feet, then do rigid to the top?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks!

Checking eBay now, but they only really sell the 6" Duraflex kits... I emailed the guy about getting the 8" stuff, though...

What cheaper ways would there be to do it? How much cheaper?

I really want this to cost as little as possible and still work well, and be safe (and pass code)...

Thanks,
Mike

The old trick was to run black stove pipe down the tile flue and fill the void with vermiculite insulation. Messy, but better than no liner at all...another common practice. I think you should bite the bullet and go with the stainless liner. It's a one-time purchase that will make your insert burn better and safer.

The old trick was to run black stove pipe down the tile flue and fill the void with vermiculite insulation. Messy, but better than no liner at all...another common practice. I think you should bite the bullet and go with the stainless liner. It's a one-time purchase that will make your insert burn better and safer.

Thanks!

Mike

I heat my house (100%) with a Buck Stove Model 27000. I have a Stainless 8" Flexible Liner 25' long ($800) that is wrapped in the ceramic Insulation then covered with a wire mesh "Sock" so it wouldn't tear the insulation when I pulled the pipe Up the chimney. I put mine in an existing fireplace. the existing inside chimney size was 12"x12" squares 25' high........You will LOve That Stove:heart::heart::heart: I know I sure do, you can get a wire mesh front grill and use it as a fireplace (for romance I guess)..Their Manual is online. I printed mine yesterday (I put the stove in-in 2001 :) )

hmmm... so I don't screw up a $700 installation by tearing the insulation or pipe, I'm going to add the $80 wire mesh sock...

Thanks,
Mike

All stainless steel is NOT created equal!

I haven't compared prices, but please pay attention to the material used. I see you are pricing Duraflex 304. That will not hold up anywhere NEAR as well as 316.

304 is far more susceptible to acid damage than 316.

I haven't compared prices, but please pay attention to the material used. I see you are pricing Duraflex 304. That will not hold up anywhere NEAR as well as 316.

304 is far more susceptible to acid damage than 316.

Thanks, I'm a Mechanical Engineer (food grade production machinery)... I know 316 is better than 304, but if you're burning good wood, and not coal or anything highly acidic, 304 will last much longer than I'll be at this house (8 years, max)... If this was our "forever" house that we planned on being in for the next 50 years, I'd spend the extra $100 on 316, but as it is, 304 is plenty fine... My dad's been burning all winter on a 304 solid liner for the last 25 years...

Thanks,
Mike

Back