any climbers willingto teach?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acetreeco2002

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello guys i posted in the wrong spot but is there any climbers out there in the western MA area willing to teach me for some casheesh

I don't think this guy knows what he is asking.
Jeff

Just as long as he's got the cash... or the other thing.

I used to know a guy who knew the secret on how to get guys to show up.:laugh:

But anyway, I would give a hand if the guy was closer. Good luck bro, don't take any wooden nickle bags.

Acetree OldDirty will show you how real tree men climb but hes gonna need a 180 ton crane with 200ft of stick...

I thought I was coming to a mature professional site it's people willing to help but seems like it's a big joke around here.

Get a job with a local pro tree company and you'll get the education you seek.

Would a tree company spend the time training a stranger off the street or make him work up the "ropes" before letting him learn to climb? Or require experience?

Maybe this guy wants to know what he is getting into before committing to the profession. Who knows.

Seemed like a reasonable question and he was willing to compensate for help. His other post got some useless feedback when he asked in the other forum. Good way to welcome a new member.:censored:

Maybe someone in his area will step forward and offer to teach him. At this point he's like someone who has taken their car to the shop and is told that it needs a wheel alignment.........and ask.......What is a wheel?

The dialog begins with an intelligent question.

It more like he went and bought the alignment rack and can't figure out how to get it out of the box but he has 16 cars and one truck to get done.

I thought I was coming to a mature professional site it's people willing to help but seems like it's a big joke around here.

Well you sure thought wrong there.
I think the joke is you. How in the world does a novice have a company? What do you mean by "company" anyway? What do you say to people who ask about your experiance. Hell, what do you say to people who ask about their trees?
Gimme about a pound and I will tell you what to do.

Maybe someone in his area will step forward and offer to teach him. At this point he's like someone who has taken their car to the shop and is told that it needs a wheel alignment.........and ask.......What is a wheel?

:hmm3grin2orange:

I've been looking for work here in western mass for a little while now, but I can't seem to find anyone that needs ground crew so I just started working on my own. It's really not my favorite position but I feel that it is good for me to be getting some experience with basics so that I can do a better job looking for real work. I understand this guys plight but I would say to him since he is willing to lay down doe, go to arborist school, UMASS Amherst as a good program supposedly, Stockbridge School. Look it up.

I am probably going to go there and try to get certified from them, but I would much rather work for a company then go to school for it. Experience over Knowledge and all.

-Shelby

Well i will give you the advice that the guy who taught me to climb gave me. He said "Use it up till you wear it out, then you make it do or you do without" and of course it took me several years of being out on my own to completely understand what he meant buy his business philosophy and that is this:

Dont buy anything you dont have too
Use what you have
Make smart choices in what you buy
Start with modest goals about what you want and you wont be disapointed
And when all else fails learn from your mistakes

He told me when i first started working for him that he would show me everything he knew but that doesnt make you a good climber

what makes a good climber is someone who pays attention and learns from everyone elses mistakes, sometimes its important to not talk but rather to just observe but in this buisness what it all comes down to and i mean 100% of everything we do, is mileage you have to do it to get good at it, its not really something that anyone can teach you to be a god at you sortof have to figure alot of it out for yourself.

ok i know ive derailed this topic enough with informative advice now

BTW this is not a serious forum at all if thats what your looking for look someplace else

you asked a pretty stupid question...............pay for lessons? get a fricken job and earn the education.

Wanna be a truck driver? Gotta pay to get your CDL. Want to be a doctor or lawyer? Gotta pay for school. Him "starting his own tree business" sounds pretty stupid and premature but I don't see how asking to pay for lessons is stupid in any way. A lot of companies aren't hiring in the area so I can see how paying to be trained might pay off when it comes time to apply with a tree company. I think he came across the wrong way in his other thread but for Christ sake give him a break. No one is talking #### for you not using capitals or punctuation like an adult, are they? Get off your high horse.

Get off your high horse.

kiss my ass. I bet he's young, wants an easy way out of earning his stripes, and want to be a climber in 3 easy lessons so he can make top dollar from the start.
I carry a master electricians license I earned the right way, and have done treework all my life as well.
Lessons? jesus christ thats funny.....:buttkick::buttkick:

Last edited:

I know how u feel but u gotta keep in mind what u are asking for . It really doesn't work like that . IMO. Look at it like this..when I was a young buck I went to a school called Hocking Technical College in Nelsonville Ohio. I took a class there called "Tree Care". It was an ENTIRE semester. All we did was learn about tree service. We tied knots until we could tie in blind folded. We ran chainsaws , from how to start one to how to fell a tree , and of course how to clean one,lol. But what we did the most , or what I remember the most , is we went out in the woods and CLIMBED. We free climbed and also went out to where the timber harvesting guys (n some gals!) were and spured trees (they would be cut down later). We also learned about rigging on those trees . So... after I did all this for what ...like 12 weeks...I went to a tree service to get a job. I toldem I was a climber. They said "ya,sure u are". Anyway..it was a whole different world. It was like this...I knew just enough to not get killed. My saddle was under a bunch of ropes and the saddles of the real climbers there . It stayed there for the most part for the first year. When I did get to climb it was under close supervision. I climbed enough to realize that I knew very little. And that was after 12 weeks of training . For the most part these guys all know this. Even though many of them act like pricks I honestly think they don't what to tell you alittle about somthing and get u killed. They don't want anybody getting hurt. Even you. If you wanna be a "tree man" then go for it. But you need to start with bein a ground man. You wanna impress a climber?? Drag brush all day n ask for more,never complain. Pay attention when u are taught how to tie a work rope onto a climbing line.Thats VERY important , a must know. Have a piece of rope at home and pratice some knots. KNOW THEM. Then show the climber u can tie a taughtline hitch behind your back or blindfolded. Do the same with a bowline and a clove hitch . Thats how to start a career as a tree climber. IMHO. These are mostly pretty cool...just alittle rough around the edges...most tree men are.

kiss my ass. I bet he's young, wants an easy way out of earning his stripes, and want to be a climber in 3 easy lessons so he can make top dollar from the start.
I carry a master electricians license I earned the right way, and have done treework all my life as well.
Lessons? jesus christ thats funny.....:buttkick::buttkick:

I agree 100% he sounds like a 15 year old that just got his first saw and thinks you can just up and start a business. He isn't going to make top dollar regardless of having a few lessons or not. I think it would be a fine way for him to get started and learn about rigging and more importantly, safety. Hands on would beat the crap out of watching youtube videos trying to mimic what a climber is doing or something. I understand where you are coming from though, especially with the internet having everyone thinking they are pros because they are part of an online forum. Sorry for getting off on the wrong foot with you. I think we really are on the same page and maybe you are just fed up with people online thinking they can be pros right off the back. Although competition sucks I think the next generation needs to learn as much as they can from the climbers of today.

Alex

Latest posts

Back