any climbers willingto teach?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Game of "Take the young bucks money"

Ever heard the saying "A fool and his money are soon parted"? Yea, just about everyone has. Got a wrinkle on that one. " An ego and his money are soon parted".
My advice to you is to lurk, search, and invest in education. There's a lot of material out there available and well worth the money. Start with the sponsors here (Baileys, Sherrills, Wesspur, etc.) investing in books and dvd's, and progress to the local opportunities (Community College, clinics, etc.) as they become available.
If you get a DVD set then watch it at least six times. A book? Read it at least twice if not three times. Taking a class? Settle for nothing less than top grades and do the work necessary to achieve that. Success isn't something that surprises you one day, it's slow in coming and takes planning, hard work, and hard thinking.
Around here you want to ask somebody to teach you something you first act the part. You're reserved, mature, and respectful. You get to know the players, over time introduce yourself and your background to us, and keep your sausage in your pants. How you come across has a lot to do with the response you get.
Case in point: By the way, where'd you get that money? Insurance settlement or Daddy? Burnin a hole in your pocket is it?
Steve W.

I agree 100% he sounds like a 15 year old that just got his first saw and thinks you can just up and start a business. He isn't going to make top dollar regardless of having a few lessons or not. I think it would be a fine way for him to get started and learn about rigging and more importantly, safety. Hands on would beat the crap out of watching youtube videos trying to mimic what a climber is doing or something. I understand where you are coming from though, especially with the internet having everyone thinking they are pros because they are part of an online forum. Sorry for getting off on the wrong foot with you. I think we really are on the same page and maybe you are just fed up with people online thinking they can be pros right off the back. Although competition sucks I think the next generation needs to learn as much as they can from the climbers of today.

Alex
thanks, Alex, well said.:cheers:

I've been on here a long time, have done tree work all over the east side of the country and have met hundreds and hundred of "climbers". half are proficient, half are dangerous, and not many are first class. A lot of good guys on here, and a heck of a lot of people who can type about it.

I've seen a lot of people injured and even killed doing this, the tree business will hurt a man quick.

thanks, Alex, well said.:cheers:

I've been on here a long time, have done tree work all over the east side of the country and have met hundreds and hundred of "climbers". half are proficient, half are dangerous, and not many are first class. A lot of good guys on here, and a heck of a lot of people who can type about it.

I've seen a lot of people injured and even killed doing this, the tree business will hurt a man quick.

It's sometimes scary for me to watch a good climber, let alone a bad one!

I thought I was coming to a mature professional site it's people willing to help but seems like it's a big joke around here.

Acetreeco2000, you seem full of energy. There are a lot of old timers on here and a lot of young timers too. I trained guys for many years and that was after I had worked my butt off in the industry and learned both good and bad habits.

There are a lot of professional training companies out there, but they do not teach you the little things you need to know to get through each day. I know many of those guys personally, and they are skills trainers. Sure if you pay them they will teach you.

Like many of the posts on this thread have said, most of us learned on the job. We hauled enough brush to get us across the country, chipped 1000 truck loads of chips, carried a bazillion rounds of wood and went home tired every day. Then the next day did it all over again, in the rain, snow, 100 degree heat, freezing cold.

Slow down, you'll get there man!!

Thanks guys for the advise and I work a 40 plus hour job and I'll hit up a collage course like some of you advised. This tree business of mine is a part time thing to make money on the side and by the way if cut down trees for years just never climbed them. For the people who like to take crap and be children I hope y'all grow up sometime. Thanks guys

Thanks guys for the advise and I work a 40 plus hour job and I'll hit up a collage course like some of you advised. This tree business of mine is a part time thing to make money on the side and by the way if cut down trees for years just never climbed them. For the people who like to take crap and be children I hope y'all grow up sometime. Thanks guys

See, now you did not listen and now sound like an idiot or a soon to be a guy who got hurt. Our critisism is warm hearted and you are too dumb to see.
Jeff
BTW, college does not have an 'a'. And you don't have a tree biz- you think you do.
yeah, I am a ?

Alot of you guys learned over the years while working the job I understand and I'll be safe, I will make sure I look twice before I cut up there in the air.

See, now you did not listen and now sound like an idiot or a soon to be a guy who got hurt. Our critisism is warm hearted and you are too dumb to see.
Jeff
BTW, college does not have an 'a'. And you don't have a tree biz- you think you do.
yeah, I am a ?

Everybody who pats you on the back isn't especially your friend, and everybody who slaps you across the face isn't especially your enemy.
Trust me, if these guys didn't care they wouldn't waste the time to post.
Steve W.

Everybody who pats you on the back isn't especially your friend, and everybody who slaps you across the face isn't especially your enemy.
Trust me, if these guys didn't care they wouldn't waste the time to post.
Steve W.

Well spoken himiller!!! Okay, well written..... :givebeer:

Very very true.

Here is how I can foresee it: You take lessons, you learn your knots, you read some books, you have a little knowledge. Maybe you take down a few trees, eventually you gain some confidence prematurely. Then one day... you're rushing, are no longer so cautious, make a mistake, use a bad habit, then in the blink of an eye... you're ####ing dead.

I'll tell you a little story now, I haven't really shared...

2pm+low blood sugar+no lunch+above 100*ridiculous humidity+careless+bad habit+easy/200t=17 stitches, a hell of a sore arm while it healed and didn't miss a day.
attachment.php

Last ####ing cut, on a "can you do this for me because we're paying by the hour and you're a little ahead?" Definitely wasn't a difficult cut.

Last edited:
Very very true.

Here is how I can foresee it: You take lessons, you learn your knots, you read some books, you have a little knowledge. Maybe you take down a few trees, eventually you gain some confidence prematurely. Then one day... you're rushing, are no longer so cautious, make a mistake, use a bad habit, then in the blink of an eye... you're ####ing dead.

I'll tell you a little story now, I haven't really shared...

2pm+low blood sugar+no lunch+above 100*ridiculous humidity+careless+bad habit+easy/200t=17 stitches, a hell of a sore arm while it healed and didn't miss a day.
attachment.php

Last ####ing cut, on a "can you do this for me because we're paying by the hour and you're a little ahead?" Definitely wasn't a difficult cut.

Ouch Man!!! Glad you are okay. Also glad you are willing to share. TreeACE, take lessons here!!!! Learn from others mistakes. Think twice, cut once.

The Woodsman

Dear Ace,
Welcome to the Woodsman~ glad to see the response you got was well balanced, honest and full of necessary smartassness~it goes with the territory~ climbing a tree is usually for $ and i will gladly help you out~ i tell you what may work 4 you~ if your business is fresh~which b y the sounds of it~it is~then try to line up some work~ dificult~ or not whatever you can get seems to be the NORM for work, then ring me up here on Arboristsite~ if you pay the way for me to come then yah~ i wil help a little brother anyday~ oh and i need to get back2. I wood be willing to teach for a 25.00 per hour, plus commissions on anything that knocks on my wood. I will show you the basics that will get you rollin them out of the way~ standtall brother, and remember we are in this together, i respect your reaching out to experienced woodsman for direction on the ultimate erection~ you will know what 2do with it once you become a part of it. Safety before all bro~ no matter what safety first~ do not ever proceed with even the slightest shadow of doubt~ keep in touch and good luck to you! P.s.~ its true what the others are saying~ all of it~ start at the ground, establish your roots~ slowly work your way up the ladder~ fear can be masked with a jockstrap bro~ once you have reached the top, strap in and celebrate~ when your confident~ take off the jock~ you really dont need it, lol.:newbie:

Dear Ace,
Welcome to the Woodsman~ glad to see the response you got was well balanced, honest and full of necessary smartassness~it goes with the territory~ climbing a tree is usually for $ and i will gladly help you out~ i tell you what may work 4 you~ if your business is fresh~which b y the sounds of it~it is~then try to line up some work~ dificult~ or not whatever you can get seems to be the NORM for work, then ring me up here on Arboristsite~ if you pay the way for me to come then yah~ i wil help a little brother anyday~ oh and i need to get back2. I wood be willing to teach for a 25.00 per hour, plus commissions on anything that knocks on my wood. I will show you the basics that will get you rollin them out of the way~ standtall brother, and remember we are in this together, i respect your reaching out to experienced woodsman for direction on the ultimate erection~ you will know what 2do with it once you become a part of it. Safety before all bro~ no matter what safety first~ do not ever proceed with even the slightest shadow of doubt~ keep in touch and good luck to you! P.s.~ its true what the others are saying~ all of it~ start at the ground, establish your roots~ slowly work your way up the ladder~ fear can be masked with a jockstrap bro~ once you have reached the top, strap in and celebrate~ when your confident~ take off the jock~ you really dont need it, lol.:newbie:

good offer, whats with the annoying hyphens?

thats a nice little cut there! Ace if you do go whole hog and do this buy yourself some steel core lanyards while they wont stop a saw from cutting all the way through they will slow it down so when you have a 4pm careless last cut like all of us have at somepoint you wont get killed the biggest thing you will need to learn is when to say i cant do something, as hard as it is to turn down work learn to say something looks too hard and youll be ok

Ouch Man!!! Glad you are okay. Also glad you are willing to share. TreeACE, take lessons here!!!! Learn from others mistakes. Think twice, cut once.

wtf. I am TREEACE ..HE IS acetreeco2002 or some somthin like that. Although there is a lesson in it for everyone thats for sure .

thats a nice little cut there! Ace if you do go whole hog and do this buy yourself some steel core lanyards while they wont stop a saw from cutting all the way through they will slow it down so when you have a 4pm careless last cut like all of us have at somepoint you wont get killed the biggest thing you will need to learn is when to say i cant do something, as hard as it is to turn down work learn to say something looks too hard and youll be ok

Maybe u could just hang up there and bleed to death ? HA HA ..ya thats really not funny . Just keep in mind there are many other ways to die up there than falling . And actually its not the fall that gets u....

Latest posts

Back