Any difference between Stihl MS250 and MS251?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemorley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I managed to mega screw up my almost-new MS 250 to the point where it is hardly worth fixing so I am thinking I maybe should flog it on the net for parts and buy a new MS 251. Are there any differences between the MS250 and the MS251 that I should know about before deciding which way to go?

The 250 and 251 are two completely different saws. No doubt they are both in the same league powerwise but the 251 has all the modern goodies. Not a bad buy for it's intended purpose but I would still take a Dolmar 421 instead any day of the week!

The 250 and 251 are two completely different saws. No doubt they are both in the same league powerwise but the 251 has all the modern goodies. Not a bad buy for it's intended purpose but I would still take a Dolmar 421 instead any day of the week!

Out of seven days per week you wouldn't want to play with the stihl picco rim sprockets on one?

The 251 is a "strato" design, and it does weight a little more than the 250.
Not a lot more though, and AV and air filtration likely is improved quite a bit..

I'd much rather have a ms261 than a 251. If it has to be a Stihl...
And to be precise, the equivalent pro model to the 251 should be the 241. Similar to the 50cc league pro 261 / semi pro-farmer 271.
But even with the 241 you can almost get 2:1!

I managed to mega screw up my almost-new MS 250 to the point where it is hardly worth fixing so I am thinking I maybe should flog it on the net for parts and buy a new MS 251. Are there any differences between the MS250 and the MS251 that I should know about before deciding which way to go?
What happened to the MS250 - another melted case?

With the Dolmar 421 selling for the same as the Stihl 251, I'd say it's a total no-brainer, in many ways. Run them side-by-side, and you'll toss the Stihl. The 421 is so much better.

Please explain?
Franny K said:
“Out of seven days per week you wouldn't want to play with the stihl picco rim sprockets on one?

What I was getting at is that stihl has rim sprockets designed for picco chain and for $7.00 less than the base model with .325/.063 they sold me it equipped with the mini spline kit and picco bar and chain. If you want to try an run seven teeth rim sprocket on the dolmar 421 it is possible but you need a clutch with splines and the sprockets aren't really as big as they shoud be.

Back to post 1 what got demolished to put you in this choice situation?

What I was getting at is that stihl has rim sprockets designed for picco chain and for $7.00 less than the base model with .325/.063 they sold me it equipped with the mini spline kit and picco bar and chain. If you want to try an run seven teeth rim sprocket on the dolmar 421 it is possible but you need a clutch with splines and the sprockets aren't really as big as they shoud be.

I find it hard to understand the first part of that - but a 5100/5105 drum will fit the 421, and you don't want anything larger than .325x7 on that saw anyway.

With the Dolmar 421 selling for the same as the Stihl 251, I'd say it's a total no-brainer, in many ways. Run them side-by-side, and you'll toss the Stihl. The 421 is so much better.

The running is one thing - but the 421 is of course of much higher quality than the 250 and 251, being a magnesium cased saw and not a clamshell.

I now this isn't what you ask buy I agree with most on here. You would be much happier with on of the used pro saws listed on the trading post. There's a few ms260s, a 353, 2153, 241cm, some of which will cost more than a new ms251 but most likely u wouldn't have to replace it again.

You would be much happier with on of the used pro saws listed on the trading post.
8ce3.jpg

Franny K said:
“Out of seven days per week you wouldn't want to play with the stihl picco rim sprockets on one?

Back to post 1 what got demolished to put you in this choice situation?

Latest posts

Back