Any good ideas on measuring out the length of a round? Mingo, Marking your bar, ect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like that idea of the chalk in a pvc pipe thing thats neat , i 've got pretty good ,like Hedgerow .....i can generally keep them between 14" and 26 " :hmm3grin2orange: thats good right ...... by the way the OWB ain't real picky ,that is my advantage. Termite

How many of you have used the tap and cut? Do you like this method better than others? I would imagine it probably works best on limbed logs but how does it work regular trees?

Although it looks simple enough to build, does anybody have the instructions for this? What do you fill it with(I assume chalk powder) and how do you fill it? What keeps the chalk from coming out when not in use? I might make me one because logs already limbed is all I have been dealing with lately.

Works great on regular trees. If you have a limb sticking up you want to buck up too, mark it until it gets too small, and cut it where it hangs. I imagine it is easier than trying to roll a mingo up a tree full of branches.

I don't have instructions, and the web site in the video doesn't exist. It is as simple as it looks. 1" PVC, 1 tee, 3 caps. I didn't glue one of the caps, that is where I fill it with chalk. The cap with the black tape is the unglued one. I tap it back on until I get the 16" I want. Dry fit and measure before you glue. You can always trim the unglued end if it is too long. I used a hacksaw to cut a slot in the cap on one end. Does not need to be big. Sometimes gets gummed up in wet conditions, clear it with your knife. Nothing keep the chalk from coming out when you aren't using it, but it doesn't just leak out, maybe a little ends up on the shelf I keep it on, or in the back of the truck, no big deal. Don't put it in your wife's car. A bottle of chalk ought to last at least a season or two.

So simple, so easy, so cheap.

edit: and it is a hell of a lot better than carrying a 16" stick, or finding out the big oak log you brought in for the night is 1/2" too long.

Last edited:
Thanks darkbyrd.

Now I just need to get to the shop and start making one. I may even have the materials on hand.

Currently I just use a 20" stick and inverted marking paint and it does the job. Like everything else, I am always looking for better ways to do things. \

Even if I do eyeball it and it comes out longer than I want it, no big deal since I have an OWB and it can take pieces bigger than I want to pick up.

Thanks darkbyrd.

Now I just need to get to the shop and start making one. I may even have the materials on hand.

Currently I just use a 20" stick and inverted marking paint and it does the job. Like everything else, I am always looking for better ways to do things. \

Even if I do eyeball it and it comes out longer than I want it, no big deal since I have an OWB and it can take pieces bigger than I want to pick up.

I can eyeball a 12" diameter tree pretty good. But my pieces get short on a big log. And my dad's stove is small, and 16" max, so I try to help him get the most out of it.

Works great on regular trees. If you have a limb sticking up you want to buck up too, mark it until it gets too small, and cut it where it hangs. I imagine it is easier than trying to roll a mingo up a tree full of branches.

I don't have instructions, and the web site in the video doesn't exist. It is as simple as it looks. 1" PVC, 1 tee, 3 caps. I didn't glue one of the caps, that is where I fill it with chalk. The cap with the black tape is the unglued one. I tap it back on until I get the 16" I want. Dry fit and measure before you glue. You can always trim the unglued end if it is too long. I used a hacksaw to cut a slot in the cap on one end. Does not need to be big. Sometimes gets gummed up in wet conditions, clear it with your knife. Nothing keep the chalk from coming out when you aren't using it, but it doesn't just leak out, maybe a little ends up on the shelf I keep it on, or in the back of the truck, no big deal. Don't put it in your wife's car. A bottle of chalk ought to last at least a season or two.

So simple, so easy, so cheap.

edit: and it is a hell of a lot better than carrying a 16" stick, or finding out the big oak log you brought in for the night is 1/2" too long.

So did you glue the handle cap and also plug the tee so the chalk is just in the meas. tube?

I use my scabbard from my saw , which is 20" and a lumber crayon that I always have in the truck to mark everything first, no sense in twisting and holding a saw longer than you have to unless ........:chainsawguy:

I can eyeball a 12" diameter tree pretty good. But my pieces get short on a big log. And my dad's stove is small, and 16" max, so I try to help him get the most out of it.

For me it seems the smaller the log, the longer I want to make it and the bigger logs, I want to make shorter.

Forgot to ask earlier but how long did you make the handle for the tap and cut? I would imagine it is personal preference but just curious.

Great, now I'm going to have to make one of those Tap Cut things this weekend.

I use a stick and a crayon or chalk to mark the cuts. I usually drop the tree, clear off the brush, and then start marking every cut from the bottom up. When I start cutting, I start at the top and work down. Works great for me, especially if you have help cutting and marking.

I use a mingo and it took me all 20 seconds to mark this log. When measuring cords to me it's worth a few extra seconds for uniformity.
image7.jpg

Here it is cut up
mail

Darkbyrd , i tried to rep ya but i got to spread it around, i built one today my only change was i put a screw cap/plug on top to add the chalk dust.The thing worked great :rock:

I made one today as well. One thing I did was I plugged the t so the chalk would stay on one side. I just put a little piece of paper in there. I have not glued anything together, don't know if I will either. I want to use it first and make sure I don't want to make any changes. I may glue the cap for the chalk side since the cap can't be pushed all the way on. Another reason I don't want to glue anything is because I will remove the handle when not in use so it fits in my tool bag better.

Do you guys use 3/4" pvc? I used 1/2" because the local store was out of 3/4" fittings. Any disadvantage to using 1/2" besides having to refill more often? With 3/4", how many logs can you mark before you have to refill?

Last edited:
I made one today as well. One thing I did was I plugged the t so the chalk would stay on one side. I just put a little piece of paper in there. I have not glued anything together, don't know if I will either. I want to use it first and make sure I don't want to make any changes.

Do you guys use 3/4" pvc? I used 1/2" because the local store was out of 3/4" fittings. Any disadvantage to using 1/2" besides having to refill more often? With 3/4", how many logs can you mark before you have to refill?

I used 3/4, and didn't fill it all the way up, a year ago. I'll say plenty, but it depends on how big your cut was. It will last longer than the can will on a mingo, I bet.

Latest posts

Back