Any helpful advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am plotting and scheming up how I am going to build (cheaply) a monster vertical splitter that will bust up some of these big nasty 20 to 36 inch knotty red oak logs I have here. I found someones simple vertical splitter thats super portable one using a pipe as the backbone and hydraulic reservoir but I need to come up with one with some big balls that can bust what ever it bites and not bend like a twig. I am going to build this out of all scrap if at all possible and use at least a 4 inch cylinder with a Briggs power plant in the five to eight horse range. I found a few massive cylinders in a surplus yard north of here that must be around six to eight inches but I know there is not a way for me to build a mega splitter with those with out some serious $$$$ :(. I would like to see what every one else has built on the large or over sized end of the vertical splitters so I can get some ideas.

do a search of this forum and you'll see plenty of pictures of some real nice home made splitters.

90% of them are horizontal tho I want a vertical one so I don't half to get a crane to split these massive suckers and wedging them is out of the question when there all knots. I am bringing in every week at least three or four massive rounds that need a good strong splitter, theres plenty more of them where I am getting these from but I am mainly trying to get the smaller ones that are 16 to 20 in diameter.

several guys here have made vertical splitters, some quite large.

but, it's the same pricipal. if you're going to build one that you want to split large chunks, use a two stage pump and an engine powerful enough to give that extra boost.

Lets just assume here I got my paws on one of those massive cylinders say the six inch variety. How would I be able to figure out if that is a 3000 PSI or higher cylinder, what GPM I would need to power it, and would a lower pressure run it if it was 5000PSI? I will be able to get my hands on a V6 car motor for next to nothing for my power plant, is there such thing as a motor too big for a pump say a 11 GPM? The rest of my components are gonna kill me so this is gonna be a matter of parts collecting scrounging and then getting them welded up in like six months or so lol.

Right in front of you!

Is the most fantastic information device ever created! :clap:

I don't just mean, Arborist Site, but the entire WEB!!!! Just a few minutes of googling can wet the appetite, and cause a few neurons to start firing.

Okay, I get off my soap box. You have defined the problem, also hit upon the requirements. Get a piece of paper, and write it down.
Maybe make a few sketches. Decide what the budget is, keep looking at salvage with the price of steel this is manditory. A car engine would be cool, but massive overkill, and difficult to "just bolt on a pump". Go back to google somemore. decide what size cylinder is going to be used. Decide what tonnage would be nice. Figure out the pressure required to achieve that. Then find a pump that would move enough oil to make the cycle faster than the speed of evolution. Decisions! Decisions!!! :dizzy:

This is why a good factory built 30 ton unit will sell for a couple of grand. It is easier. And cheaper. What??? Am I crazy? Not yet. I show you:

Giant overgrown H beam $100
15 HP engine $600
22 GPM pump $300
Pump bracket $75
Giant cylinder cheap
hydraulic valve $100
Hoses $150
Fittings $100
Axle $100
Misc. steel $200

There, I am at $1725 with a FREE cylinder. I missed a few things like the hydraulic tank, and filter. etc.

Oh, the bonus points, your welder is running for free. Plus your time is also free. Still think you can do it on the cheap? Ain't gonna happen. :)

-Pat

:D It really is cheaper for me to build it when people give me all of the materials... I just need to wait for them to come to me and barter with my welder. For instance if I was not in such a hurry I could have had a four banger with wheels but I just chopped it up and sold it heck I even had at one point the main beam (thats what I get for not thinking ahead):censored: . I am in industrial salvage and if I can't get the item from one of my clients I can get it from one of my buyers for around $0.05 - $0.10 per Lb depending on what the item is I need. Hell if I was in Ct. I would have access to all sorts of goodies down in Stamford Ct. I would just need to go to Vulcan scrap over on Taft Ave and talk to the twins that own the place :D I would even be able to get a good tank for free from one of my old clients.

using a v6 is over kill. any lawn mower engine at about 10+ hp would work fine. besides, think of the gas that thing would eat. just to split wood?

a two stage pump...say 11/22 would work well with that engine and a 6 inch cylinder. as for that 5,000 pound range...you don't need it at the cylinder. your control valve will only allow maybe 2500 pounds anyways. besides, you don't want any fitting or lines exploding at 5,000 psi.

at 2500 psi, you get alot of tonnage at the end of that ram.

we've all made splitters here and they work on even the biggest and knottiest logs. keep it simple and you'll be better off.

i have a 4 cylinder wisconsin engine sitting in the garage. 27hp. problem is it's a hand crank WWII era engine. not really useful on a splitter.

Last edited:
I figured that would be over kill :D I will keep my eyes open for those parts. The 5000 PSI I was referring to was just curiosity because I know every valve in Northern is only 3000 PSI max and every pump I see is only rated up to 4000 max PSI. But you got to admit it would be rather cool to have a splitter on the stick of a 20,000-30,000 LB excavator that could split four footers in two seconds :D
devil-smiley-023.gif

Latest posts

Back