Any Holz Hausen wood piles out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen these before and can't get over there's no way wood would dry as quickly as a conventional stack. Looks to me the Holz is more of a project for saving space for wood that's already seasoned. I would also think if it were green wood, the drying/seasoning process would be longer and you would get an uneven result with the inside not as dried as the outer perimeter. There's no sufficient air flow and the sun can not get into the inner pieces of wood.

Looks nice and probably a fun project when you have time to say you've made one. Looks to be a very practical and efficient use of space as well. For some reason if I were inclined to stack wood this way, I'd make them smaller so I can access the inner easier to make building them faster.

Wood is wood and they sure look purty though!

StihlRockin'

The base is pallets which were leveled, then I drew the circle and cut off the excess shimming as I went.

ya, I love those OBS chevy and gmc trucks, I ran a lifted one at the Michigan sand dunes a few years ago...kids came... high horsepower truck went by-by. ohh well.

It is a myth that wood some how seasons quickly in this configuration They don't dry or season wood as good as in a single row along a fence row . There have been tests done on hearth forum to prove it too. ..The reason they are popular in Europe is a lot to do with tradition and mostly to save space they don't generally have the acreage we have here in America and need to stack it in a small condensed area

Here are 2 of mine , I have since built a 3rd one to the right. We ran a bunch of number calculations and we came up with around 5.9 cords per round ! +-...... Neighbor thinks it's really cool too , he burns too ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 25
Seems like the center would never dry....

there is a "space" in the center that is supposed to be the circulating air "vent" that dries the inner section through natural air currents. (on a rack or pallet as well)
I think the euro nuts just want to make us Americans crazy wasting time building those "mouse houzes"...

however ...as an attention getter I'm sure more people will remark and remember your "mouse houze" then the 5 little stacks of wood you have in your rack at the end of the driveway....

beware of teenagers with baseball skills !!!!

I make somewhat smaller ones, about 5 face cords apiece. In hot, windy Kansas, the wood is as dry as it gets in one year of drying. I do it because it takes up less space and I get no complaints from the neighbors, which has happened when I stacked it in ranks. City life.

Back