Any man bunners heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha, you humblebrag

The stupid games scene women and just scene people in general play drove me away from playing live in a band. It's just so fake. I was a prolific writer and really put out some excellent content, but the dudes who were milking the trends always got more notoriety. In the music scene, there are artists and then there are bar stars. I got so tired of the stupid sh!t and gave it up to write at home for my own pleasure.

If I were smarter I'd cash in on the self producing wave of the internet that is the standard today, but I dropped out of kindergarten because like the live music scene, there were just too many games...

Bars don't want bands to play originals, They want cover bands that play top 40 because thats what everyone wanted to hear. They wanted to hear the same music that was playing in the radio. Some high end clubs would let you play some originals but we still had to also play top 40. Everyone knows the bar scene is a meat market and full of all kinds of people from all walks of life. Your were naive if you thought otherwise.

I've always been told if you wanna see the insecure crowd, sit back and watch who makes fun of who. Be your own man and don't worry about what the next guy is doing. You'll be happier in the long run. Everyone has their own style and aint none of us any better than the next guy.
I wear work boots and a hat every day of my life but doesn't make me any better than the guy wearing khakis and dress shoes.

Exactly.

Bars don't want bands to play originals, They want cover bands that play top 40 because thats what everyone wanted to hear. They wanted to hear the same music that was playing in the radio. Some high end clubs would let you play some originals but we still had to also play top 40. Everyone knows the bar scene is a meat market and full of all kinds of people from all walks of life. Your were naive if you thought otherwise.

Toby Keith grew his entire career in the bar scene, so did Bosephus in his earlier days. The Seattle grunge scene grew out of live shows and became an entire genre all its own that transcended the stagnant butt-rock washup acts of the late 80's and early 90's. The clubs I played didn't care about acts playing the top 40, they wanted bodies in the room buying drinks at the bar and paying cover charges or ticket sales. It's business. There's nothing naive about that; it's the difference between some garden variety cover band and the next influential artist. What remains the same are the patrons, it's a difficult read on what they want listen to or experience from a live show.

When the internet became mainstream and social media the norm, everything was changed forever. If you want to gig live and get notice, you better have some prerecorded media and an online following. If you want to gig live and make some cash in the side, your only choice is to play covers.

Toby Keith grew his entire career in the bar scene, so did Bosephus in his earlier days. The Seattle grunge scene grew out of live shows and became an entire genre all its own that transcended the stagnant butt-rock washup acts of the late 80's and early 90's. The clubs I played didn't care about acts playing the top 40, they wanted bodies in the room buying drinks at the bar and paying cover charges or ticket sales. It's business. There's nothing naive about that; it's the difference between some garden variety cover band and the next influential artist. What remains the same are the patrons, it's a difficult read on what they want listen to or experience from a live show.

When the internet became mainstream and social media the norm, everything was changed forever. If you want to gig live and get notice, you better have some prerecorded media and an online following. If you want to gig live and make some cash in the side, your only choice is to play covers.

A lot of it depended on the city and what kinds of bars or clubs were available. You have your average watering hols, sports bars, honky tonks, rock clubs, and high end clubs, blues clubs, mariachi clubs and so on. Like I said, it all depends on the bar or club as to what you were allowed to play. Most of the average bars and sports bars wanted top 40, others wanted originals, and some wanted both. If you wanted to get paid and invited back, you played what they wanted you to play. And yes they wanted the dance floor filled with hot thirsty drinkers. Most bars we played we brought our own PA system. The high end clubs had there own PA systems. Some of the draw was with the high end clubs that had there own PA systems and each club would try and out do the other with high end PA systems and that was the draw, a high end PA system. Because I had and still have a 30,000 watt PA system I did a lot of Raves in warehouses. I still do a few raves 4 or 5 times a year.
Some bars all I needed was a pair of subs and a pair of tops with monitors. Other clubs I had to bring out the big rig with 12 double 18'' subs 8 - 15'' double tops, 8 monitors with side fills, and lighting.

Latest posts

Back